I would be interested to see WHEN (temporally) the bulk of the encounters have been occurring. As we well know many of those encounters come in the form of "shakers" released... We have seen good results in delaying the winter season, as it seems a good number of those small fish are moving on after November. I am all for shifting the season, if the number of allowable impacts remains the same, but I am not highly in favor of shaving winter encounters and adding them to summer quota. The reasoning behind that is not that I am not in favor of a longer summer season, rather, I don't believe we will get a fair shake at the bargaining table with the co-managers when the time comes to "extend" the summer fishery. My best guess is that we would shave our winter impacts, and receive the same "agreed to" share (what we are allowed to harvest, because lets face it we are at the mercy of the co-managers) that we currently have. Thus, our winter season would shrink, and our summer season would stay the same. Not based on science, but based on "negotiations" at the NOF table.
I want to be a fisherman.