Originally Posted By: Todd
Who do you hold accountable?

Why does someone have to be accountable?

If you live where bears are, then you will have contact with bears. It's their fuckin house, after all.

This isn't a "we don't get to hunt enough" or "we shouldn't hunt" issue, not in the least...hunting or not, bears live in BC and Alaska. Bears are predators. Bears are territorial. People and bears together result in confrontations, and those typically end in the death of a person or a bear.

You can't blame the bear; they're being bears, they don't have any choices in the matter. They didn't come to someone else's house looking for a fight, it's where they live, and it's what they do.

This is a tragic story on many levels, and there are no easy answers or explanations for it.

"Shoot more bears" is a gross oversimplification to a complex problem. It's the exact opposite and equal answer as "don't ever go where bears are"...which is also a gross oversimplification.

Yeah, shooting more bears would reduce confrontations. So would people not being where bears live. Why is one any better than the other?

The answer is that they aren't...people and bears are going to be together, and confrontations are going to happen.

Seems to me that there were several things that could have happened to avoid this, and picking one and saying "this is who/what is accountable!" is ignoring the rest.

Fish on...

Todd

I don't camp in rattlesnake dens in Eastern Washington for a reason. Shockey like so many has the "kill mentality" as evidenced by his life long career of killing. Do you think he's eaten every bite of what he's killed? I think not. I gave up deer hunting right after I started. They taste like sh!t regardless of how you cook it unless you flavor it up which defeats the purpose. If you kill it you should eat it.

Being a father and a grandfather I feel bad for that woman and her baby. It's heart breaking but if my daughter said she was going up there I would have begged her not to. Common sense....something so many people lack. There are a lot of people that live off the grid that realize they are in the bear's house like you said Todd and they know the risks and live with those risks.