Of course, Carcassman. Only reason I don't travel more to fish is that I don't have the funds.

I should clarify that I fully understand why everyone chases the hottest fishing, and I don't mean to demonize anyone for that. Heck, I like to think I could do a little more of that in a few years, after my kids fly the coop. No matter what, though, as much as I'd like to go to Alaska and coastal BC to fish salmon, I'll eat my own dog food and resist that urge, because I don't believe it's sustainable.

Just wanted to point out that, whether it's commercials in AK or sport guys trekking to AK and BC, it's mostly mainlanders (many from right here in Washington) harvesting in the open ocean off AK and BC. Hence the sacred cow designation....

It's also noteworthy that a vast majority of citizen lobbying for sport fisheries is financed by coastal (saltwater) anglers, and those folks aren't likely to clamor for closing the saltwater. I don't begrudge them for that; I'd likely do the same in their shoes.

This is all to say the system is working as designed, whether it's what's best for salmon and the future of the pursuit or not.