Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1003582 - 02/15/19 08:35 AM David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Mr. Dave Croonquist has made an application for an "at-large" seat on the Commission. Those of you that know Dave, know of his untiring dedication to the fisheries and sane, transparent management. He recently spent hundreds of hours working on the Halibut reform, which has resulted in a milestone improvement in the sport Halibut fisheries. We certainly need someone of Dave's caliber on the Commission. I invite you to read his letter of intent below and to support his bid for the Commission.

February 14, 2019

Good evening, all

I have submitted an application for an at-large seat on the WDFW Commission.

If selected, I would be bringing 49 years of experience in virtually all facets of fish and wildlife management. I have a BS in Fisheries Management and Administration from the University of Washington. In 1970, I was employed by the Colorado Division of Wildlife as a Wildlife Conservation Officer and, after 30 of service, I retired as the Assistant Chief of Law Enforcement.

I have worked in all aspects of fish and wildlife management including enforcement, fisheries management, game management, game damage, and budgets. I wrote statutes and regulations for hunting and fishing activities and for guides and outfitters. I supervised complex intra-state, inter-state, and international investigations. I helped develop and establish the International Wildlife Violator Compact now in place in 49 states including Washington, and I helped establish the International Association of Natural Resources Crimestoppers of which the WDFW is a member.

Since my retirement in 2000, I have been active in Puget Sound Anglers and the Coastal Conservation Association. For the past 10 years, I’ve been the volunteer coordinator for the Dungeness Hatchery Complex. I have served on the WDFW Steelhead/Cutthroat Policy Advisory Group, Enforcement Advisory Group (now the Shared Values Group), Puget Sound Recreational Fisheries Enhancement Oversight Committee, and the Puget Sound Sport Fish Advisors Group. I am on the Prey Work Group for the Governor’s Orca Task Force.

On behalf of individual sport fishers, city and county agencies, Puget Sound Anglers, and the Coastal Conservation Association I have been attending Commission, North of Falcon, Pacific Fisheries Management Council, and International Pacific Halibut Commission meetings working towards more fishing opportunities.

If you would like to support my effort to be on the Commission, you can do so by using this direct link to the Governor’s Board.

Link to Governor's Board

There is a column on the right side of the form in the link below that asks for applicant information. The boxes to be filled in are:

Name: David Croonquist
Email: dcroonquist@gmail.com

The time-line is short - maybe a week to 10 days before the decision is made.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Dave Croonquist
Sequim, WA

#1003590 - 02/15/19 09:10 AM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
Dave Croonquist's qualifications for an at-large position are impeccable. His dedication to and involvement in both promoting and conserving our Fisheries Resources speaks for itself. I can think of no better candidate to fill this post, and will go into further detail on my message to the Governor's Board. Support Dave!

#1003598 - 02/15/19 10:14 AM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Great Bender]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

He would be a good choice for sure as he would bring something to the Commission that it lacks, the historical memory of just why and what the agency did through the years to create the mess we have now.

#1003599 - 02/15/19 10:15 AM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Looks like a solid candidate. I'll send a note. Thanks!

#1003624 - 02/15/19 11:53 AM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I put this in the comment box...

"Credentials a mile long, respected member of many WDFW Committee/Advisory appointments, and has a wholistic understanding of managing fish resources. Extremely well respected by WDFW managers and the angling community at large. You'd be foolish to miss out on this opportunity to select a candidate so givinig of his time and talent."

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1003638 - 02/15/19 01:13 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I've known Dave for more than a couple of years...I would happily support him for an at-large seat on the Commission!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1003647 - 02/15/19 02:01 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
bobrr
Unregistered

Anyone who blindly supports him needs to read the thread on Bloody decks, it seems this guy is closer to Phil Anderson's charter lobbying while on the commission and totally trashed the concept of CONFLICT OF INTEREST! Anderson was the head of the commission and repeatedly extended and expanded limits on kings in area 4 when catch quotas weren't met due to lack of run size . Runs don't measure up to projections and he would do this every year. Does it matter that he is the president of the Westport charter boat association while heading the commision and insuring his own pockets would be lined? Dave wants a 4 fish limit yearly for rec fishermen while expanding harvest for charters. What a load! bob R
P.S. And now Anderson is heavily involved as a paid consultant for Either N.O.F. or the Pacific salmon management group., I believe. We are screwed even when we win.

#1003663 - 02/15/19 03:28 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Anderson was never head of the Commission or even on it.

#1003672 - 02/15/19 04:42 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: bobrr
Anyone who blindly supports him needs to read the thread on Bloody decks, it seems this guy is closer to Phil Anderson's charter lobbying while on the commission and totally trashed the concept of CONFLICT OF INTEREST! Anderson was the head of the commission and repeatedly extended and expanded limits on kings in area 4 when catch quotas weren't met due to lack of run size . Runs don't measure up to projections and he would do this every year. Does it matter that he is the president of the Westport charter boat association while heading the commision and insuring his own pockets would be lined? Dave wants a 4 fish limit yearly for rec fishermen while expanding harvest for charters. What a load! bob R
P.S. And now Anderson is heavily involved as a paid consultant for Either N.O.F. or the Pacific salmon management group., I believe. We are screwed even when we win.

Wow, what a rant and worse it is full of erroneous information.

As CM pointed out Mr. Anderson was never a WDFW Commissoner let alone head of the Commission. Also, the Commission is made up of Commissioners each with an equal vote.

Your insinuation that Mr. Croonquist would have a conflict of interest and somehow benefit personally is without foundation and is offensive if not slanderous.

Charters provide opportunity to those recreational fishers not otherwise able to access the halibut fishery. If there is a separate allocation and/or season for "charters" please educate me.

Now, the one thing you wrote which is accurate is that Mr. Croonquist has championed an annual halibut limit for recreational fishers (both fishing from Charters and private vessels). Of course you didn't explain why you objected. Be advised that the goal was to spread out the recreational halibut fishery providing more fishers an opportunity to participate and to do so safely. That is, to go to an open season rather than a few specific dates. I think that is a good idea while recognizing that as halibut allocations vary both the annual limit and season length are subject to change.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1003674 - 02/15/19 04:52 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Larry B---+1

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1003679 - 02/15/19 06:02 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Larry B]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: bobrr

Wow, what a rant and worse it is full of erroneous information.

As CM pointed out Mr. Anderson was never a WDFW Commissoner let alone head of the Commission. Also, the Commission is made up of Commissioners each with an equal vote.

Your insinuation that Mr. Croonquist would have a conflict of interest and somehow benefit personally is without foundation and is offensive if not slanderous.

Charters provide opportunity to those recreational fishers not otherwise able to access the halibut fishery. If there is a separate allocation and/or season for "charters" please educate me.

Now, the one thing you wrote which is accurate is that Mr. Croonquist has championed an annual halibut limit for recreational fishers (both fishing from Charters and private vessels). Of course you didn't explain why you objected. Be advised that the goal was to spread out the recreational halibut fishery providing more fishers an opportunity to participate and to do so safely. That is, to go to an open season rather than a few specific dates. I think that is a good idea while recognizing that as halibut allocations vary both the annual limit and season length are subject to change.

I never said that Dave was getting ANY money for his opinions, just that he is supporting the same charter boat profit over rec sportsman that Phil Anderson pulled consistently. And as far as Phil Anderson never serving on the commission, yeah, he was just the director of WDFW and basically the commission just rolled over and did a big Linda Lovelace on him. I sat in too many meetings watching solutions for conservation being made in the morning and having him get at them during lunch break and then a reversal that was never explained. This is just another [Bleeeeep!] show for rec people. Increased harvest with lower rec limits? P{lease, shoot us all now. Drink the kool-aid if you want, his positions due not stand up to the light. Profit for charter operators at the expense of the rest of us. And let's not forget the 50" limit he wants on halibut for recs. You know they do that in Alaska but it is the charters that are limited in how big their fish are . Can it be any more obvious that this guy is a tool of the charter and commercial fleets? Put in your opinion to the governor, stack the deck with more anti-rec limits while giving the charter boats total sway (or does everyone like to only fish one day a weekend for salmon in Westport? (a rule that only benefits the charter boats.) As far as "slanderous", your legal "expertise" is funny. I never said he profited by his "lobbying" just that he does not have our interests in mind any more then the WFC or Phil Anderson, Who profited greatly form his "service "as head of WDFW double dipping from his position as head of the charter boat association. Offence and slander on this site? Please, grow a pair. Bob R

Edited by bobrr (02/15/19 06:04 PM)

#1003690 - 02/15/19 08:04 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: ]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Re: Bob R,

Lets just say that you don't know what you're talking about in reference to Dave Croonquist, and let it go at that. Your assertions are way off base, and totally untrue.

We couldn't have a better candidate on the F&W Commission.

#1003702 - 02/16/19 06:31 AM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
bobrr
Unregistered

Yeah, and very few complained when Miranda Weikart was dumped off the board for looking out for fish AND fishermen. You don't look out for the true fighters for your rights and settle for bullsh*t candidates that sell out our bottom line. Pathetic! Bob R

#1003732 - 02/16/19 10:04 AM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: ]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
I don't? Apparently you don't know anything about me, either.

#1003735 - 02/16/19 10:21 AM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Tug 3]
bobrr
Unregistered

I only know what you write about yourself in the reel news. So yeah, I don't know anything about you except what you write about yourself. Bob r

#1003746 - 02/16/19 11:40 AM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Disregarding all of your histrionics over Phil Anderson let's look at one of your assertions, as follows:

"And let's not forget the 50" limit he wants on halibut for recs. You know they do that in Alaska but it is the charters that are limited in how big their fish are."

Charter operators in AK are providing the same service as those in WA albeit to a more affluent clientele. The size limit is applied to those recreational fishers utilizing a charter service.

Now, are you suggesting that recreational fishers in WA utilizing a charter service should be constrained by any imposed size limit and that those fishing from private boats not be similarly constrained? If so, you again are trying to establish a better position for yourself at the expense of your fellow fishers who elect to utilize a charter to participate in that fishery.

Let me now opine that I disagree with what they do in AK; it is discriminatory to what are primarily out of state recreational fishers - note the out of state aspect because those folks don't vote in AK.

#1003751 - 02/16/19 12:31 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Larry B]
bobrr
Unregistered

Having been one of the rec people that utilized a charter in Alaska with my wife last year it's obvious that I have no issue as to charter boats or the rec people who patronize their service. i don't like the rule in Alaska either but at least it targeted the mostly out of state rec folks instead of food seeking resident fishermen. That said , as someone whom suffered under this rule I didn't like it there and like it less here. That's my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own whether you like it or not. Bottom line this guy wants to specifically limit opportunities for halibut fishermen in a time of expanded seasons and increased quota. Support him if that's the kind of thing you like done to the rest of us that fish for halibut. I've stated my opinion after you all got to state yours. I'm done other here and will actively discourage these rule changes, by not supporting him for commissioner or whatever other options are open Bob R

#1003765 - 02/16/19 01:37 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
This bickering on a open forum does no good for the task at hand

I suggest you air your differences in PM's

I've been to many meetings.....sports vs. commercials

Commercials are 100% on the SAME PAGE, what I have noticed is the same people represent the commercial interest, for the most part, conservation is not in the commercial vocabulary.

Enter sports, bay, ocean, guide, lower river, middle river, upper river, trib. fishermen, many have their own likes....Chinook, Coho, Chum, jacks sometimes its just tough to get a equal, fair fishery for all.

I will say this....if you don't attend NOF meetings, no got NO gripe if your favorite fishery goes away...

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1003768 - 02/16/19 02:00 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Did you not like the 50" rule there because you were treated differently than residents yet paid a higher price for your license? If so, I concur.

But to then suggest that you don't like it here either takes us right back to the charter fishers versus private boat fishers. And, no, they would not be treated differently. What you should be asking is how would that mesh with NT commercials or, better yet, tribal?

If I have the numbers correct the WA recreational allocation was just recently increased to 277K pounds for each of the next four years. Hopefully that and the four fish annual limit will allow for a "season" rather than specific dates thereby allowing for (1) a safer fishery and (2) a longer and more reliable opportunity for those wanting to plan for a halibut trip.

To the extent that it is successful and if the recreational allocation were to increase it would be within the purview of the WDFW Commission to increase that annual catch limit.

#1003773 - 02/16/19 02:23 PM Re: David Croonquist's Application for Commission Seat [Re: Bay wolf]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Support!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |