Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1028237 - 04/16/20 03:18 PM Re: Chehalis River [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
http://www.chronline.com/news/chehalis-b...e0b17d196c.html

Unfortunately, flood mitigation comes at the direct expense of fish habitat. The 50:50 appropriation would simply cancel itself out and the state will have foolishly wasted $700 million over the course about three chinook life cycles. Forrest's mama said it best... stupid is as stupid does.

The most troubling part of the article?

“I think we could support this bill if we get some language in it, that I don’t need the word guarantee, but that dictates that we split the $700 million as equally as we can with flooding and habitat restoration,” said Harry Pickernell, board member and chairman of the Chehalis Tribe. “That’s the only concern the Chehalis might have.”

Tyson Johnston, representing the Quinault Indian Nation, agreed.

ON BOARD AT LONG LAST!

https://www.conservationnw.org/news-upda...chehalis-river/

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1028265 - 04/16/20 08:39 PM Re: Chehalis River [Re: eyeFISH]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Let's hope this really sets the scene for the death of this project.

And let's hope that on APRIL 21RST during the next webinar for public comment on this project that we get MORE THAN 3 FISHERMAN /GUIDES to actually comment! The turn out for the last webinar was f@cking embarrassing!

#1028284 - 04/17/20 09:07 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

That's good news from the Quinault Tribe.

#1028303 - 04/17/20 07:10 PM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
And a correct conclusion by the tribe, in my opinion.

The upper Chehalis spring chinook are the result of long-term historic annual temporal isolation resulting from naturally occurring summer low flow and thermal barriers in the mid-river reaches during the mid-summer low discharge periods. They ascend the Chehalis early each year before those low flow and high temperature conditions restrict chinook access to the headwaters until later in the year when rainfall and lower temperatures eliminate the mid-basin migration obstacles for fall chinook run timing. The early spring chinook were historically abundant- and still occur- above Pe Ell in the canyons below Fisk Falls and and in other upper chehalis headwater streams including Stillman Creek, S Fk Chehalis, and Newaukum drainages. Currently, the importance of those upper watersheds and the mid-summer chinook migration separation has been under-appreciated in the dam discussions. The dam has a high potential to disrupt this natural separation of chinook timing. This I know from my 40 years as a professional fish biologist very familiar with the Chehalis watershed.

Good decision by the Quinaults.

#1028316 - 04/17/20 09:18 PM Re: Chehalis River [Re: milt roe]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Give the man a cigar! MR that is the best description of Chehalis Springers I have seen. In the natural state we had Springers outlined by MR, Summers mostly on the Satsop and some other locations, fall which where dispersed all over and Dec returning to the East Satop, Delezen, and Cloquallum. The Chehalis being rain driven allowed the Chinook to develop to varying conditions in the basin. Just as the late Coho primarily came from the East Fork Satsop and Bingham and other tribs this was driven by the dry bed creeks not watering up until the aquafire was fully charged in late Nov and Dec. It is the environmental conditions that created the huge genetic diversity in the Chehalis Basin salmon.

Edited by Rivrguy (04/18/20 11:03 AM)

#1028333 - 04/18/20 09:44 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Talking about history is great.

No different than looking in the rearview mirror to see where your driving. Our managers only see tail lights getting further and further away.

Our fish are screwed.

#1028337 - 04/18/20 11:06 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

If you don't know where you came from you will not know where you are and will be totally clueless as to where you are going.

#1028386 - 04/18/20 06:06 PM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

Now to get the Chehalis tribe to write a letter.....they need to be more active on the anti dam movement....The dam will have a negative affect on the Chehalis tribe...imo

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1028429 - 04/19/20 08:37 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Plant fish or talk.

#1028432 - 04/19/20 09:17 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Reading the history, it makes me wonder about previous posts
that stated the Department did not think the Skookumchuck dam would
effect springers. I still think that would be a prefect place to plant springers.

If they really want a dam for flood purposes, I don't know why they could not do a diversion or or over flow type dam, where the after a certain flow the water is diverted into a channel to a holding area and then slowly let out when flows are down.

#1028436 - 04/19/20 09:48 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
That holding area you speak of is call a "Flood Plain". Just where would you propose putting all that water, where would the "holding area" be that would keep that many square miles dry?

#1028443 - 04/19/20 11:10 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: Krijack]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Reading the history, it makes me wonder about previous posts
that stated the Department did not think the Skookumchuck dam would
effect springers. I still think that would be a prefect place to plant springers.

Actually that was old WDF and mitigation for Springers was not required because Region 6 staff stated the dam was to have a tri level discharge creating ideal conditions for Springers and a " vibrant " fishery. Several other measures also and one was a separation wier that was not done or given up on, I do not remember which. They even moved Skook salmon mitigation construction and rearing funds and all to the East Satsop at Simpson Hatchery. ( now Bingham ) That was stopped years back by citizen activist mostly from the upper basin. Kinda sounds like the Wynoochee Mit thing the agency is pushing through don't you think? Some things never change.

Old game got a conditioning pond for steelhead near the dam but most of the funds went to another facility. Locals said paving and landscape at Chambers Cr but one of those things that never had much conversation that I was around taking place.

One last thing. When the Dam went in HS thought a Springer hatchery program linked to mitigation would work. Years later shooting the breeze over some Chehalis things he said he was OK with not having the program but still called BS on Region 6 thoughts. In the end it was simply that the natural population was to small and fragile to support the harvest that would come with hatchery production and damage the natural production in other Chehalis tributaries. You see he had seen it before with Hood Canal Chum and it was a lesson learned.

Edited by Rivrguy (04/19/20 06:54 PM)

#1028873 - 04/21/20 08:35 PM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Thanks to ALL who testified LIVE at the webinar public hearing this evening OVERWHELMINGLY in OPPOSITION to the Chehalis dam project.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1030446 - 05/20/20 07:35 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park

#1030459 - 05/20/20 10:45 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Stonefish, Thanks for posting the link to this film. Just watched the first seven minutes and decided I wanted to watch the rest on the big screen. It appears to be an excellent production.

#1030463 - 05/20/20 11:22 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
It's an excellent video.

We should be embarrassed that this dam project ever got past the "Hey, you know what we should do..........." phase.

Thanks for the link, stoney!

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1030483 - 05/20/20 11:54 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Yes but were any Bigfoot spotted??

#1030518 - 05/20/20 02:03 PM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Pretty good show there.
Many local folks that I recognize and some I know.

Building a dam is ridiculous.

#1030566 - 05/21/20 08:46 AM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

This dam can only be built with OPM - Other People's Money. Keep an eye out for the con.

#1030586 - 05/21/20 09:04 PM Re: Chehalis River [Re: stonefish]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Very informative. Thanks for the post!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |