Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1022710 - 02/23/20 03:26 PM Re: Fishing [Re: Salmo g.]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Lower, clearer water yesterday and finally shook off the skunk. Yea and all that. Sure is nice to know there are still some wild steelhead around. Not like old times, but it's nice to shake off that steelhead depression slump.
Fly fishermen only catch fish when it's low and clear.

#1022711 - 02/23/20 03:30 PM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AcidAngler
Lower, clearer water yesterday and finally shook off the skunk. Yea and all that. Sure is nice to know there are still some wild steelhead around. Not like old times, but it's nice to shake off that steelhead depression slump.

Errrr. Wrong.

#1022724 - 02/23/20 04:20 PM Re: Fishing [Re: SpoonFed]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Spoonfedhead

Errrr. Wrong.
Gee,really? Gosh,bet you're fun at parties.

#1022732 - 02/23/20 04:52 PM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Have to say it does help the confidence to know they can see the offering from a little distance. Is one of the best feelings to feel the tug, no bottom bumps, no bobber watchn. Just my opinion. Beyond the fly, IMO there's nothing better than low water sight, light spin fishn. w/ whatever. I like watching the bait roll next to one laying and moving after it! They have it before you ever feel anything and to set the hook because the offering disappears is so cool! It's been a while.

#1022735 - 02/23/20 05:16 PM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

I figured you were serious avid. rofl

#1022749 - 02/23/20 09:12 PM Re: Fishing [Re: SpoonFed]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

I used to love sight fishing for summer steelhead. Nothing better IMO

#1022750 - 02/23/20 09:12 PM Re: Fishing [Re: SpoonFed]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Spoonfedhead
I figured you were serious avid. rofl

I'm always serious YBD

#1022754 - 02/24/20 08:48 AM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

It's true, some clarity in the water does increase my confidence. But I'm amazed at how well fish see in turbid water. I've caught them with only 10" visibility at times. I figured out a few years ago that the main reason I prefer 3 or 4' of clarity is because it's so much easier wading when I can see where I'm putting my feet. Doing the Braille shuffle over and between the stones makes for a laborious day of stream wading. All that said, the best fish of the day came downriver where the water lost a foot or more of visibility than where we began. If I ever figure out this steelhead game, I'll be sure to write a book.

#1022759 - 02/24/20 10:08 AM Re: Fishing [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

It's true, some clarity in the water does increase my confidence. But I'm amazed at how well fish see in turbid water. I've caught them with only 10" visibility at times. I figured out a few years ago that the main reason I prefer 3 or 4' of clarity is because it's so much easier wading when I can see where I'm putting my feet. Doing the Braille shuffle over and between the stones makes for a laborious day of stream wading. All that said, the best fish of the day came downriver where the water lost a foot or more of visibility than where we began. If I ever figure out this steelhead game, I'll be sure to write a book.

Another thing I learned when I fished lots more. In winter conditions, high turbid water, was to "short line". I fished w/ a fly rod and reel w/ mono, eggs or shrimp for bait. With only 4-8" water visibility, would work a gravel bar top to bottom, w/ only 10-15' line out of the reel, fixed. Didn't need a strip basket w/ such little line to work with. Cast, 2 steps, cast, 2 steps, etc. caught lots of fish when everyone else thought the river was out, sometimes in a foot of water. Fish would be laying in close. Transitioned that philosophy to the swing with little success so far. Wish I was swinging a fly back then, with lots more fish around. I would like to read your book.

#1022760 - 02/24/20 10:23 AM Re: Fishing [Re: RUNnGUN]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

I caught a fish on a nightmare jig in 6" vis blown out conditions. They see fine.

#1022761 - 02/24/20 10:27 AM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I'd rather fish water with some color rather then gin clear.
There are some PNW species that dirty water actually helps increase the bite.
SF

#1022766 - 02/24/20 11:20 AM Re: Fishing [Re: stonefish]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

I like fishing all conditions. Makes you a better angler IMO. See how much more fun talking fishing is?

#1022767 - 02/24/20 11:24 AM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

I fish a particular stream where the fish tend to move rather quickly through it's lower stretches after a high water event. Basically it's good to pick a spot that feels good to you and fish the travel lanes. Plunking would be a good option but I never see anyone try it. Hmm.

#1022768 - 02/24/20 11:24 AM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

I like fishing all conditions. Makes you a better angler IMO. See how much more fun talking fishing is?

I've caught fish on Funyuns and cigarette butts.

GOAT.

Lol

#1022769 - 02/24/20 11:31 AM Re: Fishing [Re: SpoonFed]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

I started fishing pink worms down here in California over 15 years ago. None of my friends were willing to try it. The first fish I caught was on a pink 6 inch Berkeley worm with a metallic cerise wobble glo ahead of it. It was in gin clear water late in the season. I got a downer buck that day and a chrome bright hen,near tidewater. I began to try and use them more frequently. People down here are all hung up on the soft beads. They are effective. I love when the latest craze comes out. Gives me another weapon. But I more like going against the grain,or fishing old school. Steelhead everywhere will strike a corkie and yarn,a well presented spoon,yarnies.

#1022775 - 02/24/20 11:50 AM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I caught my steelhead on a Sammy Special.
Silver with red yard if I recall correctly.

What did everyone else use to catch their first steelhead?
SF

#1022777 - 02/24/20 11:59 AM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

double hook, egg cheater and coon shrimp.

#1022779 - 02/24/20 12:25 PM Re: Fishing [Re: ]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

orange corkie with some egg snot, was fishing the Dosewallips in a big deep hole off the side of the road, a bunch of silvers and chum were staged right in front of the chute, was casting behind them and the reel backlashed, pulled the line out and the fish was already hooked...

7 pound nate, my dad used to release wild fish even before they closed it down, so i did as well....

will never forget that...

#1022780 - 02/24/20 12:29 PM Re: Fishing [Re: 5 * General Evo]
AcidAngler
Unregistered

1st steelhead I caught and landed in a river was on a brass #3 blue fox spinner. But when I was a kid I landed one on a green 5/8 ounce krocodile spoon in the salt.

Edited by AcidAngler (02/24/20 12:30 PM)

#1022784 - 02/24/20 01:00 PM Re: Fishing [Re: stonefish]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: stonefish
What did everyone else use to catch their first steelhead?

I started my steelhead career as a kid fishing with the crew of folks who routinely plunked along the bulkhead at the Ballard Locks. Since I lived literally 7 houses up the road, that was my "go to" fishing spot on weekends during the season for years. I spent countless hours plunking there.

I had heard all the wonders about the infamous "Green River" steelhead runs and finally fished on a river 2 years after my first steelhead.

Caught my first steelhead, plunking an L9 Flatfish at the Ballard Locks. I'm guessing 1978-ish. Second one came the next weekend.

And here's a photo of the last steelhead I have landed:

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |