Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1023435 - 03/02/20 10:13 PM In Need of Historians of WDFW help
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Hey guys, Im needing to track down some information. I've not been able to dig it up, but I'm confident that someone on this board knows, or knows someone who does.

I'm trying to find out who the last group of "observers" were who were "allowed" to attend the North of Falcon Tribal/WDFW negotiations.

Here is a quote from Northwest Indian Fisheries Chairwomen Lorraine Loomis about the observers being thrown out when asked by King5 News:
“Treaty tribes – as sovereign nations – are not bound by the state’s open public meetings laws. For a number of years tribes agreed to allow some citizen representatives to observe NOF negotiations. That practice ended after the observers publicly mischaracterized tribal and state negotiating positions, further complicating an already challenging process.”

I'm hoping to find out who those observers were and hear their side of the story.

Please let me know if you have any leads. Thanks

#1023438 - 03/03/20 05:58 AM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
you need to figure out what region. Different in different places.

#1023443 - 03/03/20 07:34 AM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

I'm primarily looking for the gentlemen or women who were accused of mischaracterizing the tribal and WDFW negotiations.

I believe is stemmed from one particular incident, but I'm not sure.

There has to be someone who clearly remembers this. It had to be a big deal within the WDFW and recreational community. A turning point for sure.

#1023444 - 03/03/20 07:52 AM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Just throwing this out there...maybe someone who has some past history with Puget Sound Anglers or The Reel News??

I'm sorry I don't have any leads, but just a thought...

#1023452 - 03/03/20 08:55 AM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
This was discussed in a previous thread, I think. As Bay wolf supposes, it was reported as specific (but un-named) people.

#1023455 - 03/03/20 09:19 AM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I wonder if Tom Nelson or Ron Gardner might not have the info you are looking for.
SF

#1023465 - 03/03/20 11:11 AM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

I'm sure it happened in Region 6.....

You have to realize that until the Bolt Decision that the NT gill netters had the Chehalis River all to themselves. Even after Bolt, it was years before the QIN tribe got enough equipment to start netting.

Tempers were short, in the old days.....still are today....when you start talking dividing up fish and what days you got to gillnet.

I was not at the meeting, just heard about it.....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1023572 - 03/04/20 09:06 AM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks for the insights and tips. Still looking. I heard that the "observers" when they were "allowed" in, were vetted by the Tribes, and had gage orders, they could not speak about anything they heard or saw in the meetings. Essentially they were mannequins.

Might as well have been an empty chair in there. And they called that transparency!

Still wanting to talk to anyone with first hand knowledge on this....

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1023577 - 03/04/20 12:08 PM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf

What would you do with the information ??????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1023638 - 03/04/20 03:12 PM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: DrifterWA]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Other than self education, it depends on what information they provide and what they are willing to share, on or off the record.

I think it important that we educate not only the recreational community, but the general public at large. So many citizens have grave concerns about the state of our salmon, yet know very little about one of the major components involved in the preservation of our salmon, the harvest agreements.

#1023715 - 03/04/20 08:37 PM Re: In Need of Historians of WDFW help [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Other than self education, it depends on what information they provide and what they are willing to share, on or off the record.

I think it important that we educate not only the recreational community, but the general public at large. So many citizens have grave concerns about the state of our salmon, yet know very little about one of the major components involved in the preservation of our salmon, the harvest agreements.

At this time it seems to be accepted fact that some observers failed a test of sorts which is now run up the flag pole as the catalyst for the current tribal objection now further being supported by the sovereign nations joke.

It might be useful to revisit that original situation and get the facts strasight for the record.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, eddie, 20 Gage), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |