Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1025935 - 03/16/20 05:43 PM Got bread?
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Wife used to make homemade bread occasionally. It was great tasting, but the process looked too time consuming. I was sure my results would be inconsistent; I'm not a baker. So, I bought a bread machine, found a simple recipe and turned out a few loaves of consistently unspectacular white bread. Searching for an improved product, I stumbled upon these "Jenny Can Cook" videos.

https://www.jennycancook.com/videos/

The faster no-knead bread recipe seems simple enough. I've watched several of her cooking videos. Looks like lots of good eats coming out of her kitchen. She even has a video for making salmon patties.

In this time of crisis and peril, when you've burned through your collection of zombie/horror and action/adventure dvds, you can binge watch Jenny's buns and rolls. Check 'em out...

#1026216 - 03/19/20 07:43 AM Re: Got bread? [Re: CedarR]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Anyone have a good recipe for simple sourdough bread? I've got a killer (100+ years in the family) pot of sourdough I use for pancakes and waffles all the time but have never made bread from it. Recipes I've found online seem to rely on added yeast. I'm looking for a recipe that only utilizes the sourdough itself as a rising agent.

#1026458 - 03/21/20 05:48 PM Re: Got bread? [Re: OceanSun]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

I grabbed three Alaskan cookbooks off the shelf, yesterday. Each of them had a recipe for sourdough bread that would probably meet your "kneads". One of the books, Sourdough Jack's Cookery, had a chapter on making a loaf of sourdough. Also found sourdough bread recipes in Alaska Magazine's Cabin Cookbook and Lowbush Moose. When the libraries reopen, you might find what you're looking for in the cookbook section. In the meantime, you could google "Alaskan sourdough bread recipes". If I can scan any of the recipes I found, I'll send them to you via PM.

In Jenny's Faster No-Knead Bread video, she comments that her bread tastes just like sourdough. I think she remarked in the FAQ section of her website that she had never baked a loaf of actual sourdough bread. I'm not sure "simple" and "sourdough bread" belong in the same sentence...good luck with your effort.

#1026709 - 03/24/20 02:06 PM Re: Got bread? [Re: CedarR]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Thanks for doing my homework for me Cedar! I'll check those resources out and post a pic if I have success. Plan on baking it in my Grandpa's dutch oven but then put that in the regular oven - evens out the heat.

#1027122 - 03/28/20 09:03 AM Re: Got bread? [Re: CedarR]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
In 1992 my folks gave my GF (we married and then split in '06) a Hitachi bread machine. It was a high-end machine way back then. Also, there was a little paperback recipe book named The Bread Machine Cookbook that was a supplemental gift. Fast forward 20+ years and the 2nd wife was organizing one of the extra cupboards and she finds the little recipe book and asks me about it. Apparently, the ex missed the cookbook when we split, but she took the bread machine. A while later I was at her house and I mentioned that we had the recipe book and would she like it? She said that because my folks had given her the machine I could have it back if I wanted it, which was cool because I always liked this particular recipe.

Peasant Bread - Great moist bread when you're making soup, stew, chowder, chili, etc. Awesome with butter! Just add the ingredients in the order listed and push start. Set it, and forget.
..................Small.....................Medium.......................Large
Water ..........3/4 Cup .................1 Cup......................1-1/2Cup
Sugar.............1tsp.....................1-1/4tsp........................2tsp
Salt.............3/4tsp.....................1tsp.......................1-1/2tsp
Flour...........1-1/2 Cup.................2 Cup.........................3 Cup
Yeast.............1 tsp....................1-1/2tsp.......................2tsp

Edited by snit (03/28/20 09:25 AM)

#1027558 - 04/03/20 04:23 PM Re: Got bread? [Re: snit]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

So, I got ready to make your peasant bread, snit. Started pulling ingredients out of the cupboard, which naturally piqued my wife's curiosity. I told her I was going to make some bread machine bread 'cause I had this new recipe. She informed me that we sold the bread machine on a garage sale five years ago. Now, she has never been wrong about anything in 55 years of marriage, but I still had to go look for myself. Sure nuff, the spot on the garage shelf where the bread machine sat unused for all those years is now occupied by a box of garden gloves. Looks like it's store bought, or a loaf of Jenny's bread for us. I never did like that hole the bread machine paddle made in the bread, anyway... wink

#1027609 - 04/04/20 10:04 AM Re: Got bread? [Re: CedarR]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
CedarR, they're tricky critters, aren't they?! lol I feel the same way about the hole from the mixing paddle, but ours isn't too obtrusive.

#1028173 - 04/15/20 12:25 PM Re: Got bread? [Re: CedarR]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
You'd think with the 80 lbs of flour that Sky-Guy hoarded up, he would have posted 6 or 9 bread type recipes by now.

No?

Eh, that's ok. Fast carbs are not good for you any ways. They just make you fat and diabetic.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |