Three Rivers Marine

Page 104 of 201 < 1 2 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 200 201 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1024413 - 03/10/20 01:06 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET *** [Re: RUNnGUN]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

It is about history and the agencies culture. WDFW was and is all about commercial harvest. Old game had the sportsmans fish and had real ties to the fishers. So did and does WDF / WDFW but it was commercial almost exclusively until charter boats really took off. Inriver fisheries were not a anything. Times have changed but not the culture as it is simply who they are.

#1024416 - 03/10/20 01:16 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
When I first got to WDF I had to lobby hard for a pink fishery in the Dungeness. Salmon were supposed to be caught in saltwater. Once they left the salt, they were "safe".

#1025053 - 03/12/20 08:52 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

There are times that I think agency staff are out to lunch. Sturgeon fishing has always been mostly a night thing in the Chehalis and abuse has not been an issue so screw folks over just to be like the rest of the state? Hell now I imagine there goal will be to wipe out salmon and steelhead to be like the rest of the state!

OLYMPIA – A number of rule changes affecting Washington sturgeon fisheries went into effect beginning Monday, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced.

The changes, approved by the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission at its December meeting in Bellingham, are meant to clarify existing regulations and modify others to help meet conservation objectives, said Laura Heironimus, WDFW’s Columbia River smelt, sturgeon, and lamprey lead.

“Some of these changes are intended to specifically help conserve and improve sturgeon stocks, while others are meant to clarify regulations under WDFW’s efforts to simplify fishing regulations statewide,” Heironimus said.

Changes that went into effect Monday include:

Closing Columbia River sturgeon spawning sanctuaries upstream of Bonneville Dam to sturgeon fishing from May 1 to Aug. 31. Previously, some sanctuaries reopened on Aug 1; this change was requested to minimize handling stress on mature female sturgeon after spawning.
Expanding the area of sturgeon sanctuaries in John Day Reservoir (below McNary Dam) and in the Hanford Reach (below Priest Rapids Dam).
Shifting retention fisheries upstream of McNary Dam to catch-and-release only, as a precautionary conservation measure.
Closing night fishing for sturgeon on the Chehalis River, aligning it with other rules statewide. This was previously the only area open to night fishing for sturgeon in Washington.
Defining oversize sturgeon as a fish larger than 55 inches in fork length, which may not be removed in part or totally from the water unless otherwise allowed by emergency rule.
Clarification and simplification of other catch-and-release and statewide regulations.

#1025064 - 03/12/20 09:22 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

One size fits all.

#1025165 - 03/13/20 10:00 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Chad Herring sent this out on NOF Grays Harbor and Willapa so I thought I would let folks know that did not receive it.

Good morning everyone,

As some of you may have heard, the Department has decided to have no in-person public meeting's for the remainder of the 2020 North of Falcon (NOF) process in an effort to slow the spread of the Coronavirus, COVID-19. You can use this link to read the official press release: https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/washington-depa...ic-meetings-due <https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/washington-depa...ic-meetings-due> . This includes all regional public and advisory group meetings. The Department is still working through all the details and more information will be forthcoming about our scheduled Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor NOF meetings. I will get that information out to folks as soon as I have it so stay tuned. The 2020 NOF process for the South Coast will be dynamic and I recognize there is uncertainty and concern about how the Agency will manage this process. I'm committed to communicate as often as possible about developments and actions the Department is considering as we move forward. Audio and materials for the meetings that have been held so far can be found by following this link: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/north-falcon/public-meetings. We have also set up a couple of different ways for everyone to provide Agency staff with their fishery suggestions and comments. This link, https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/north-falcon/public-input, can be used to provide those fishery suggestions and comments and see all of the other comments that have been submitted. Also, forecast summaries and proposed seasons will be available at a future date as we move through the process. Fishery suggestions can also be provided through at WillapaBay@dfw.wa.gov <mailto:WillapaBay@dfw.wa.gov> and GraysHarbor@dfw.wa.gov <mailto:GraysHarbor@dfw.wa.gov> . Thank you everyone for your understanding and patience as we go through this difficult time.

Please stay safe and well.

Thanks,

Chad Herring

#1026356 - 03/20/20 02:24 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

NOF Grays Harbor update but no model. So I asked again about the model not being out.

Good afternoon everyone,

Just wanted to give everybody an update on next week’s 2020 NOF Grays Harbor public meeting. The meeting will be held online on the Zoom meeting platform on Tuesday, March 24th at 6pm as originally scheduled. There will also be a call-in option for folks not able participate online. Both the call-in and online will allow for attendees to communicate with staff during the meeting. I will send out the link and call-in number as soon as it becomes available as well as post it to the NOF meeting schedule webpage. Meeting materials will also be posted to this webpage under the March 24th Grays Harbor public meeting heading prior to the meeting. The link to that webpage is here: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/north-falcon/public-meetings. This will be the first meeting held using the Zoom platform and we are excited to use this technology. Since, we will be having the first meeting conducted with this technology there could be some bumps and bruises along the way. I also want to remind folks about the our 2020 NOF webpage on the WDFW website, The webpage contains a lot of information relevant to this year’s NOF process. Such as meeting schedules and materials referenced above, forecast summaries, and a public input page. On the public input page you can submit your fishery comments/suggestions and see the input that has been received through the site. This is the best way to submit your input electronically to staff for consideration. You can follow this link to explore the webpage: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/north-falcon. I thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as we work through this difficult and dynamic time in our history.

Stay safe and well,

Chad Herring

#1026485 - 03/22/20 10:52 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

I was asked if I had any more information on Tuesday's NOF Grays Harbor and the answer is no. As to just how this will work on the ZOOM thing, again I do not know. As soon as I get anything I will post it here and email it to try and get the information to all I can. That said unless staff is working through this weekend Monday sometime is the earliest I think we will see it.

Several folks have asked why I did not send out the harvest model so I could help them look at options. The Advisers were provided a 2020 Harvest model after it was requested but the QIN portion was locked. Without the being able to look at what the potential tribal harvest share dictates as to days & weeks it pretty much useless. I have objected and received a response that the matter is being looked into.

Edited by Rivrguy (03/22/20 11:02 AM)

#1026510 - 03/22/20 06:19 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
To All:

Rivrguy and I talk just about everyday........Tuesday night, starting at 6:00 p m, will be "an attempt" to do the NOF, in a "computerized, internet meeting". Time lines are short, heaven, help make sure there are no glitches in the system or doubled up time might have to be necessary.

I think its going to be "tough" to try and listen as you try and keyboard input/give a response............for those that took typing/keyboarding, in the old days....now would be nice to be able to type 100+ words per minute.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1026523 - 03/22/20 07:51 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Have any 20 something come over and dictate to he or she.
Twice as fast, twice as accurate, and ten times more effective.

#1026614 - 03/23/20 03:18 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Here is the NOF Grays Harbor meeting announcement. You have to register so be sure to do so. After that I have not had time to check it out but you can participate by web or phone..

To all Interested Parties,

Materials for the Grays Harbor Fisheries Discussion meeting on March 24, 2020 is available on-line, please see the following link: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/north-falcon/public-meetings

Materials available to view include:

Meeting agenda

2020 Grays Harbor Model Summary

Meeting presentation

Join Zoom webinar

Please read the information pertaining to pre-registering for the webinar and testing your computer’s audio and video before the webinar. There is also an option to join the webinar by phone.

Thank you for your time.

Chad Herring

MORE INFORMATION:
6 to 8 p.m.
Public discussion of 2020 Grays Harbor salmon preseason forecasts, management objectives and possible salmon fisheries.
Meeting agenda
2020 Grays Harbor Model Summary
Meeting presentation
Join Zoom webinar
Join by phone: dial 312-626-6799 or toll-free at 888-788-0099 (Webinar ID: 191-902-613)

This meeting will be held using Zoom, an online web-conferencing tool that allows presenters to share presentations and video and allows the public to listen via computer or phone. If you are interested in joining this meeting please pre-register here. When you register you’ll also be asked if you wish to provide public comment. Pre-registering and noting that you anticipate providing public comment will help ensure public comment goes smoothly in this new digital setting. You can still join the webinar and provide comment during the meeting even if you don’t pre-register.

If you are new to Zoom and would like to test your computer’s audio and video ahead of time you can visit https://zoom.us/test and click "Join." If you are new to Zoom and would like to test your computer’s audio and video ahead of time you can visit https://zoom.us/test and click "Join." We also recommend joining the webinar 15 minutes before it starts. If you are having trouble connecting please send an email to twendel@rossstrategic.com with the subject line "North of Falcon Zoom Help."

Edited by Rivrguy (03/23/20 03:43 PM)

#1026623 - 03/23/20 03:57 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

OK, what I have learned. You must sign in to ZOOM and that is pretty simple. The audio works and ZOOM will ask you to test the audio.

You can phone in and how you interact I have not got to yet. If your computer does not have a mic I assume you can phone in but not sure about that or exactly how you can type a question into staff on your computer. Oh you must download the ZOOM program

#1026689 - 03/24/20 08:55 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Latest on how to participate in the NOF Grays Harbor tonight. Might take a bit of fumbling around to register and if you get it right you will get an auto confirmation.

Good morning everyone,

I sincerely hope that this email finds everyone safe and healthy, practicing social distancing at home. Just wanted to provide everyone with some information regarding our 2020 NOF Grays Harbor public meeting scheduled for tonight at 6pm. The meeting will be online using the Zoom platform and the Agency has consulted with Ross Strategic to help facilitate these online meetings. The link to join the meeting and all the meeting materials can be found here: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/north-falcon/public-meetings. You don’t need to download Zoom or make an account in order to participate in tonight’s meeting. While there is an option to pre-register for tonight’s meeting, it is also not necessary to participate. Pre-registering will allow Ross Strategic to get an idea of how many people might attend the meeting and how many would like to provide public comment. There are two ways to join the meeting, online or call-in, both options will allow you to hear the staff presentation and provide comment. By following the link above you can also test your system to make sure the audio and video work ahead of time if you choose. Ross strategic is encouraging people to try an join the meeting 15 minutes early and have provided an email address on the page mentioned above if folks are having technical issues. Joining the meeting is relatively easy, simply click the “join webinar” link or dial the number listed and enter the webinar ID on the webpage mentioned above. For those joining online you will be asked to provide your name, people using the phone will be identified by the last four digits of your phone number you are calling from. Ross strategic will start the meeting with a short tutorial on how to use the tool for people online and for folks on the phone. Lastly, the Department is excited to use the Zoom platform and happy to have Ross Strategic to help facilitate these meetings but with anything new there may be a few bumps and bruises along the way. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as we work forward together through these dynamic and difficult circumstances.

Stay safe and well,

Chad Herring

South Coast Fishery Policy Lead

Montesano Regional Headquarters

48 Devonshire Rd

Montesano WA, 98563

Office#:(360)249-1299

Cell #:(360)470-3410

#1026692 - 03/24/20 09:40 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

I have done Zoom for some Board meetings of 10-15 people. They work pretty well; you can do it video or just voice. To work well there needs to somebody in control.

#1026810 - 03/25/20 11:52 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

The meeting for NOF Grays Harbor on ZOOM went rather well as to the use of technology. Couple of bumps but mostly they were around signing in and communication but if you registered and signed in early not much to worry about as the moderator walked right through things. To be honest I was surprised and frankly it is a rather neat tool for staff to use.

After that the information presented was pretty much the same as the NOF GH public meeting in Montesano. Lacking a functioning model the commercials were left high and dry as were the RECS. So ZOOM is a good tool but this thing about the harvest model and QIN needs resolution.

#1026841 - 03/25/20 03:20 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Carcassman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
To work well there needs to somebody in control.

Funny how that applies to face-to-face warm body meetings as well

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1026858 - 03/25/20 05:08 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

Comment on Grays Harbor NOF 4/24/2020

1. !st time ever that the meeting was DONE 30 minutes early

2. 4 public members, on the sports side, talked/made comments

3. 2 NT netters, talked/made commentsCut

No model to work with that had the QIN proposal......grrrrrrr

What I don't know is how many others were listening in and just chose not to ask a question or make a proposal.....

August 1st - September 15, Cut in stone, at this time, jacks only South Elma Bridge to 101 Bridge in Aberdeen...No, no, no Adults

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1026943 - 03/26/20 04:39 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Region 6 sent this out to folks. Now this is this years forecast after Ocean Option 2 harvest, so it could change. On the Chehalis do not count on the Commercial season identified as the harvestable wild Chinook number is only 696 for QIN ( NT everyone also ) If the QIN fished as last year in week 40 projected QIN harvest is 734 wild Chinook / week 41 956 wild Chinook but in week 42 477. They were off the water in the next to weeks and the NT commercial fished 4 days a week.

Simply put the QIN will need to alter their schedule to limit wild Chinook impact and the only place to go is the weeks the NT commercial fished last year. So the tribal and NT commercial part of this will definitely change as the modeled QIN harvest would be 2231 and way way into escapement and vastly greater than their share.

I could give you a better look but staff have refused to provide the model unlocked so any citizen could model potential seasons to present options. This particularly egregious for the NT commercials but also the REC. I have now objected twice to staff and the Director but have yet to receive a rational response other than they do not have QIN seasons. You do not need the QIN seasons from the QIN to put data into the model and get a feel where things shake for sharing % to create a NT proposal. The games being played are at an epic scale hiding behind the virus statewide shutdown that does not allow one to confront staff actions head on.

Again as an GH Adviser I have objected and I am waiting for a response.

FROM REGION-6

To Grays Harbor interested anglers:

Model A (the summary presented during Tuesday’s public meeting) was developed using 2019 recreational and non-treaty commercial seasons and the 2020 forecast numbers. A quick summary of those seasons:

Area                                      Dates                                                    Bag limit

North Bay                            Aug 1-Sept 15;                                   1 fish (release wild Chinook and coho)

East Bay                               Sept 16-Nov 30                                  2 fish (release all Chinook)

Humptulips River,            September                                         2 fish (release wild Chinook and coho)

Oct 1-Nov 30                                      1 fish (release wild Chinook and wild coho)

Dec                                                        1 fish (release all Chinook and wild coho)

Chehalis River                    Aug-Sept 15                                        Jacks only

Sept 16-Dec 31                                  2 fish (release Chinook)

Chehalis tribs                     Oct 1-Dec 31                                       2 fish (release Chinook)

Newaukum/Skook           Oct 16-Dec 31                    2 fish (release Chinook)

Non-treaty commercial schedule:

2A/D                                      4 days Wk 43 (Oct 21-24)              Release wild Chinook

4 days Wk 44 (Oct 27-31)              Release wild Chinook

2C                                           1 day Wk 42 (Oct 16)

1 day Wk 44 (Oct 30)

Edited by Rivrguy (03/27/20 05:34 AM)

#1026972 - 03/26/20 08:36 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Sure smells "fishy"...how do these guys sleep at night!?!?! (probably on 800 thread count sheets from their secret admirers?)

#1027073 - 03/27/20 04:15 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

The message below came from Region 6 Bio Mike Scharpf and he found and error in the model. Evidently he made a mistake but caught it but it changes things a bit. So two things ouch and glad you caught it Mike ! If anyone wants the model information Mike is addressing PM and I will send.

Hello Advisors,

I want to let you know I found a user error in the base Grays Harbor planning model that affects Chehalis wild coho. This is my fault for not catching this before we presented the model and I apologize. The error was Satsop, Wishkah, Hoquiam, and Skookumchuck rivers were modeled as mark-selective (MSF) for coho (wild coho release). The model was supposed to represent last year’s season, which didn’t include MSF except on the Humptulips side. As you can guess, making these rivers wild coho harvest changes the total WDFW harvest enough to put last year’s season with this year’s forecast over the State-managed share, we are about 380 coho over that share. There was also an issue with opening the model outside the WDFW network that was affecting coho impacts in the model. I was able to track down that issue and correct it. Something about updating to Office 365 has caused some issues that have not been intuitive. With that said, an updated model with last year’s seasons and this year’s forecasts is attached. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks,

Mike

#1027076 - 03/27/20 04:23 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
The message below came from Region 6 Bio Mike Scharpf and he found and error in the model. Evidently he made a mistake but caught it but it changes things a bit. So two things ouch and glad you caught it Mike ! If anyone wants the model information Mike is addressing PM and I will send.

Makes ya wonder where else in the models there could be errors that haven't been caught....

Page 104 of 201 < 1 2 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 200 201 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1089 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |