Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102922 - 11/18/03 06:10 AM Looking for guide
Dutchman Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma
I have never fished with A guide. My three partners and I would like recomendations. We would like to fish the OP for late winter run Steelhead. We are fly fishers and would like a guide who does fly fishing only. We don't have status or anything. We would just like the chance to not only catch fish but learn something new. We are seasoned summer run anglers but we have never caught A winter run Steelhead. Of the four of us I am the only one who can handle A Spay rod but they can pick it up ok if that is an issue. Thank you for your help laugh

#102923 - 11/18/03 10:10 AM Re: Looking for guide
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
You would be hard pressed to find a guide that just flyfishes on the OP full-time.

John Farrar spends some time on the OP, as does Dennis Dickson BUT they only fish those waters for a short period every winter.

You would be much better off booking a trip with Bob. He may spend a good amount of time fishing gear with his clients but he is going to do a better job getting you into fish because he fishes the rivers on a daily basis from October through April.

Plus, just because he fishes gear does not mean he can not fish the fly, does not know how to fish the fly and can not inturn help you learn and give you some tricks while you are fishing the fly.

JD Love and Gordon Gracey are other two well-known flyfishing guides on the OP eventhough they spend time fishing with gear.

I would say book a trip with Bob, tell him you want to learn and I know he will be more then happy to be your guide/instructor for the day.

#102924 - 11/18/03 01:56 PM Re: Looking for guide
Drew Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
Gordy Gracey, check him out op full time fly and some gear too. www.fishingnorthwest.com

#102925 - 11/19/03 04:58 AM Re: Looking for guide
Dutchman Offline
Parr

Thank you guys I really appreciate your help. Like I was saying, my primary concern is (1) they guide on the op and (2) Their primary fucus is to fly fish.

#102926 - 11/19/03 08:04 AM Re: Looking for guide
BAITCASTER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: SEQUIM WA
I like Jim Kerr he is out of Port Townsend, and he is real Talented, Or call Port Townsend Angler, they have his number.

#102927 - 11/19/03 10:03 AM Re: Looking for guide
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I have never fished with gordy but have heard rave reviews and know he comes highly recomended.

I did meet jim kerr on a river last fall and spent a couple of hours fishing and bsing with him.Great guy,down to earth.When he left my casting and outlook on fly fishing changed and grew imensly.He is also a fan of my favorite fish the sea run cutthroat.

#102928 - 11/20/03 05:51 AM Re: Looking for guide
lazydrifter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Angeles
Dave Steinbaugh out of Port Angeles. He knows his stuff.

#102929 - 11/21/03 02:09 PM Re: Looking for guide
Nailknot Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle
You could try Bob Pigott, he's flyfishing only I believe, and has been fishing the peninsula for years and years. He does the spey thing as well.

#102930 - 11/21/03 04:34 PM Re: Looking for guide
Dutchman Offline
Parr

Hay thanks guys. Do you have numbers for Bob Piggot and Dave Steinbaugh. I want to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate it.

#102931 - 11/21/03 10:36 PM Re: Looking for guide
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
i would recommend gordon gracey, he is one of the best

#102932 - 11/25/03 01:44 AM Re: Looking for guide
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Bob is no longer guiding from what I've heard. Haven't seen him on the river in several years.

If you want a full-time guide, that only fishes the fly, that only fishes the OP .. then there's only one that qualifies under those stips: JD Love.

Gordy operates the same as I, a mix of fly and gear. I've heard good things about Dave, but don't know much about his techniques.

As a guide, I think you missed one important point in your search flyrod guide: how do you want to fish??

Flyfishing styles vary greatly ... I'll typically fish more traditionally than some of the others. Typically lower success overall, but that's the way I like to flyfish.

Some will having you using indicators with heavily weighted flies or shot with glo-bugs the whole time.

More effective methods for sure, but not what some want to do. I'll often do this with some of my guests, but not without discussing things over with them first.

I would strongly suggest discussing with your prospective guide how you would like to fish smile

Have fun!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#102933 - 11/25/03 01:23 PM Re: Looking for guide
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Hi Dutchman,

I'm primarily a flyfisherman and am lucky enough to know (and have fished) most of the names mentioned in this discussion.

Bob makes a really good suggestion that you quiz you're prospective flyfishing guide on how he likes to fish. Everything from backtrolling nymphs from a driftboat to chuck 'n duck with big indicatiors has been marketed as "flyfishing".

Since you're experienced steelhead flyfishers already, I'm sure you have an idea how you like to fish. Not much different for winters, just Lower and Slower.

That being said, guys like Bob (from this site) and JD Love are very accomplished flyfishermen. That they also guide using other methods doesn't change the fact that they've mastered flyfishing for winter steelhead. And. as Bob mentioned, he uses traditional techniques (swinging the fly) and also favors a single-handed flyrod.

If you want a flyfishing only guide, i can second Dave Steinbaugh's recommendation - a very accomplished flyfisher and speycaster who I've only heard good reports about from those who have spent a day with him on the river.

Good Luck!

Brian

#102934 - 12/03/03 04:16 PM Re: Looking for guide
Jumbo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, Wa
JD Love is the man!!!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Tug 3, stonefish), 460 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645386 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |