Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103007 - 01/06/04 04:39 PM pontoon boat advice
biglarfishin Offline
Fry

Loc: Elma
Since alot of rivers are gradually losing boat launch access and property access due to vandalism and garbage, I recently have thought of buying a pontoon boat instead of a drift boat so i would not have to worry about launching a trailer with so many people,I can just pick a spot and throw the pontoon in.Now I am a very cautious person when it comes to boat saftey. I have hardly ever oared a drift boat let alone never have oared a pontoon boat.I have heard horror stories about both. I also have heard that pontoon boats are great but when you try to use an anchor system they can easily flip over.With this said and how "spooky" I am which route should I take and what company should I go with? Thanks for any info

#103008 - 01/07/04 12:23 AM Re: pontoon boat advice
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
Not sure if 'he' posts here .. but log into:

http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3

and hit 'Steelheader69.' He's forgotten more about pontoon boats than most folks will ever know.
fae

#103009 - 01/07/04 01:21 AM Re: pontoon boat advice
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
LOL, thanks Fred. Yeah, I'm a long time poster here.

Actually, you've heard some truths and falasies (sp?). Depends on the type of boat, dictates on anchoring. Most of the full rocker hulled boats will bucket and can flip if current is bad enough (those are your outcasts, bucks, ODC's, etc). Then, you have your better boats that will withstand anchoring better, are safer to handle, and can fish standing up on (Skookum Steelheader, bad cats, etc). Which my preference is the Steelheader, since it's built here in WA (tubes and frames) and owner was one of the first to make a hardcore fishing cataraft.

You can get a minidrifter. Those work great (friend of mine has my wooden mini drifter). Works great for a one man boat too. Both are great, you just have to know what YOUR limitations are. Best thing to do is sit down and way out your options (if you want, email me and we can talk it over and give you full rundown). For some the minidrifters are the way to go. But some are the pontoons or stepping up to your full blown catarafts. Email me and we'll talk it over. The one thing I'll say. Before you take it out on a river, row it around a lake for awhile. That way you get a feel for the oars and how they move the boat.

Northwest River Fisherman

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 821 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |