Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1031495 - 06/05/20 08:02 AM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: The Moderator]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: elparquito
I can honestly say I've never fished an Oakie Drifter. Think I have a few stashed away someplace.

I always had other red/orange/peach/cerise/pink things that bonced along, floated off of, or was suspended off of the bottom as it drifted along. Seemed to work quite well for me.

Still have a ton of Birdie drifters. Loved those things. And Jensen Eggs. Haven't fished either in a million years. Apparently steelhead don't like those any more.

Funny how you go from plunking L20 and K9 Flatfish at the Ballard Locks....

..... to drift fishing......

......fishing rags and bait....

....to side drifting...

.....to running plugs.....

....to boondogging....

....to Flydogging....

.....to flow-At's and jigs...

....to flow-At's and a baitweight/bait

....to pitching pink worms.....

...to Flow-At's and wormies...and wormies on jigheads.

....to spoons....

....to spinners....

....to nymphing...

...to swinging flies.....

So far, I just said "no" to beads and centerpins. Don't think I've ever run a side planner, either.

What's the next "hot" technique?

"Bobber Doggin"
Not that new, but seems to be the latest craze. I anticipate it to spread even more.

#1031500 - 06/05/20 08:44 AM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: dwatkins]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: dwatkins
Originally Posted By: fishbadger
Dude put a shirt on, it's the internet!

fb

Great eye. rofl

Nice gut, stupid.

I threw up in my mouth a little.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1031502 - 06/05/20 09:46 AM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I caught my very first steelhead on an orange Okie drifter with a piece of yarn and a cluster of boraxed eggs. In those neophyte years I thought steelhead were particular about what they would bite. They aren't, but that took a little while to learn.

Collectors want Okie drifters in their collections, not because they are better steelhead lures than others, but because of their place in the evolution of lures used for steelheading. I think Okie drifters were second after the original red Cherry Bobber that was developed specifically for steelhead fishing.

#1031520 - 06/05/20 03:45 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
I'm ahead of all of you. In my earlier years in enforcement, I caught two "steelheaders', one snagging and another dynamiting! Both on the Kalama in the 80's. I "retained" both of them. BTW, my first winter steelhead was caught on an Okie with yarn. Took a while to educate myself to what an egg bite felt like. It helped when I went from a heavy rod to my home built Lamiglas 7802.

This is a good post. Enjoying reading the history. I've got lots of old okies and corkies, and an original Cherry Bobber - somewhere.

#1031524 - 06/05/20 04:47 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: Salmo g.]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I caught my very first steelhead on an orange Okie drifter with a piece of yarn and a cluster of boraxed eggs. In those neophyte years I thought steelhead were particular about what they would bite. They aren't, but that took a little while to learn.

Collectors want Okie drifters in their collections, not because they are better steelhead lures than others, but because of their place in the evolution of lures used for steelheading. I think Okie drifters were second after the original red Cherry Bobber that was developed specifically for steelhead fishing.
)

In the earlier days in steelhead camp up on one of the skeena rivers, Willy korf had a cabin next to our camp. Willie was the original Cherry bobber inventor which of course evolved into everything else we see today in the Bobber or corkie world. He used to have a ton of stories that would be great to listen to & when everybody else was using flies and spoons and eggs he just kept using the old Cherry bobber. The pictures of fish he caught were out of this world. He actually was from Southwest Washington I think he said but ended up moving up to the skeena region. He loved it up there so much he gave his wife an ultimatum that she could move up there with him or leave him. She left him and he grew old and that old cabin. I don't think he had fished for 20 years when we last spoke. He lived on one of the best rivers in the world to boot.

#1031527 - 06/05/20 05:41 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
When Brad’s first brought out their Oakie Drifter knockoff, the Orkie Drifter the colors were hideous.
It looks like they have some better colors now but regardless, I don’t think they fish as well as the originals.

I still have some cork corkies, birdie drifters and Sammy specials around my place somewhere.
SF

#1031531 - 06/05/20 07:12 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: fishbadger]
RabidAngler
Unregistered

#1031532 - 06/05/20 07:12 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ]
RabidAngler
Unregistered

rofl

#1031546 - 06/06/20 12:53 AM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
So gross.

#1031547 - 06/06/20 09:00 AM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Back in the day, 60's, 70's, all the items mentioned above plus my all time favoite "Sammie Special" worked very good. What the younger generation don't know or can't remember is: Lot's more wild steelhead, more hatchery fish, No Bolt Decision, No steelhead gill netting in most rivers, fewer drift boats, fewer jet boats, few guides and less people seeking fish.

The access on many rivers was very open, now so much is closed off. Hatchery plants have not kept pace with the growing fishing pressure.

I can't believe the "okie drifter" hasn't been reproduced, some tried just didn't work as good as the orginal.

Edited by DrifterWA (06/06/20 09:02 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1031550 - 06/06/20 10:34 AM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Even worms worked better back then.

#1031558 - 06/06/20 01:17 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
Drunkenbubba Offline
Fry

Loc: Aberdeen WA
I used to use the small nail polish pink okies and did really well with them mostly on the Hump and the Satsop, then it seemed the fish wouldn't even look at them. Same goes with Aeroflies, they were all the rage on the Nooch back in the 90s before floats and jigs took over, and I used to clean up with them. After a year or so of steadily using them the fish seemed to lose interest and now I have a couple of plano boxes filled with them gathering dust next to the okies.

#1031596 - 06/06/20 11:10 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Never have caughts a fish on a corkie or anything close to it. Bait and yarn for me.

#1031601 - 06/07/20 12:14 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: Steelheadman]
RabidAngler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Steelheadman
Never have caughts a fish on a corkie or anything close to it. Bait and yarn for me.
Really? I've caught steelhead on just about everything,leading me to believe that they bite stuff.

#1031604 - 06/07/20 04:08 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: Drunkenbubba]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Originally Posted By: Drunkenbubba
I used to use the small nail polish pink okies and did really well with them mostly on the Hump and the Satsop, then it seemed the fish wouldn't even look at them. Same goes with Aeroflies, they were all the rage on the Nooch back in the 90s before floats and jigs took over, and I used to clean up with them. After a year or so of steadily using them the fish seemed to lose interest and now I have a couple of plano boxes filled with them gathering dust next to the okies.

That's about when I switched to cigarette filters with a free sliding red button just above.

I have never caught a steelhead. zip

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#1031608 - 06/07/20 07:15 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey

RabidAngler: "leading me to believe they bite stuff."

Yes they do or used to. Back in the 60's I bought oakies from Willy Slinker in Centralia by the 100's. ( 7 cents each) Catching steelhead was not difficult. I then decided to try something a little different. I collected pieces of pumice along the Toutle, drilled a hole in them and strung them on a string in a box and sprayed them florescent red usually. Worked nearly as well. And a lot cheaper. Those were the days, my friends.

#1031609 - 06/07/20 09:13 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ronnie]
RabidAngler
Unregistered

I hope your steelhead and salmon fisheries rebound.

#1031612 - 06/07/20 09:49 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
A few years before the mountain blew, on the Toutle I saw a guy catch a summer run on an oyster.

#1031618 - 06/08/20 08:22 AM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: ONTHESAUK]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Not sure if they are the original or reproduction but if someone wants
all the okies and cork corkies i have shoot me a PM with shipping info and they are all yours. For free.

Edited by War-Paint (06/08/20 11:09 AM)

#1031627 - 06/08/20 02:22 PM Re: Old style corkies? [Re: Paul Smenis]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: War-Paint
Not sure if they are the original or reproduction but if someone wants
all the okies and cork corkies i have shoot me a PM with shipping info and they are all yours. For free.

Except for Evo. You need to charge Evo some money + $10. As tax payers, we all want to be a part of this transaction.

BTW - Nate, plugs are for taxpayers.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |