Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1035980 - 08/06/20 09:58 AM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: Dan S.]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Dan S.

That was the money drift.

Every single freakin' time, every single freakin' drift.

Fish on.

Hell, I just hooked a fish there now by simply looking at that photo......

#1035994 - 08/06/20 11:03 AM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: JussieSmolt]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
If I was scouting a new river and found a hole like that my waders would go from moist to soaked.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#1035998 - 08/06/20 11:23 AM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: The Moderator]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: elparquito

That was the money drift.

Every single freakin' time, every single freakin' drift.

Fish on.

Hell, I just hooked a fish there now by simply looking at that photo......

Yeah, that hole was the one for sure... It's changed quite a bit, it does have a similar look just the top end is a little more troughed so the fish keep moving when they get there, nothing holding them back. Even the UPS hole is different, it no longer delivers.. rofl

Keith

#1036011 - 08/06/20 11:43 AM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: stlhdr1]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Back on topic. Addicted fishing 2.0.

#1036012 - 08/06/20 11:43 AM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: JussieSmolt]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Yeah - it's some pretty zesty water right off the end of that log.

Perfect for running a jig through. rofl

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1036013 - 08/06/20 11:51 AM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: Dan S.]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Ahh Dan,what a waste of perfectly good drift water!

#1036014 - 08/06/20 12:06 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: CorneliusDunghamer
They make pads for that.

Which brand do you prefer?

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#1036023 - 08/06/20 01:06 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: Dan S.]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

C'mon now... It's one of those pieces of water that without question can't be fished by a boober as well as drifted. Just the variance in depth it's self restricts the boobers ability... moose

I remember back in the early 90's driving up and camping at the Dickey river, where the bridge was washed out. We had a few too many to drink the night before and had a 9am rise and breakfast, one of them all night parties... I was getting my waders on when this guy pulls up and asks which way we plan to fish, up or down. I responded with "what gear are you using?" and he said he was running some of his hand tied jigs and bobbers... I told him "don't sweat it, you can go first, you'll leave all to many fish behind"... He sort of puffed his chest and grumbled about a wager... After a few pecks at each other we settled on him and I fishing down river towards tidewater and him getting first water through all of it and the person who landed the most steelhead won $20 bucks. When the fishing was done the score was me and bait drifted 4 and him with his Jigs 1. Turns out it was John Koenig who I didn't know at the time... He had all the excuses in the world for every fish I hooked behind him. The funniest was these were fresh over-achievers that were roughly 4 miles from salt, like throwing meat in a lion's den..... rofl

Keith

#1036025 - 08/06/20 01:29 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: JussieSmolt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Some folks do a jig after they catch one.

#1036026 - 08/06/20 01:41 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: stlhdr1]
DCC Offline
The Walnut

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1

C'mon now... It's one of those pieces of water that without question can't be fished by a boober as well as drifted. Just the variance in depth it's self restricts the boobers ability... moose

I remember back in the early 90's driving up and camping at the Dickey river, where the bridge was washed out. We had a few too many to drink the night before and had a 9am rise and breakfast, one of them all night parties... I was getting my waders on when this guy pulls up and asks which way we plan to fish, up or down. I responded with "what gear are you using?" and he said he was running some of his hand tied jigs and bobbers... I told him "don't sweat it, you can go first, you'll leave all to many fish behind"... He sort of puffed his chest and grumbled about a wager... After a few pecks at each other we settled on him and I fishing down river towards tidewater and him getting first water through all of it and the person who landed the most steelhead won $20 bucks. When the fishing was done the score was me and bait drifted 4 and him with his Jigs 1. Turns out it was John Koenig who I didn't know at the time... He had all the excuses in the world for every fish I hooked behind him.. rofl

Keith

Good story, and....that sounds exactly like John (figjam) Koenhead.

#1036152 - 08/08/20 12:04 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: JussieSmolt]
DCC Offline
The Walnut

Upon review....I hope that referring to drift fishing in this thread does not mean side drifting... sacrilege!

Narly like bobber fishing.

Pick a rock ...any rock, stand on it and own it.

#1036155 - 08/08/20 12:11 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: DCC]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Drift Fishing. Not boondogging. I'm not a fan of fishing from boats so2 much,unless there is limited access. The Smith river in Northern California comes to mind. That's why on any given day during the peak run times and good conditions there will be 100 fkn drift boats on that river.

I like my solitude. I like feeling like I put in the work,found fish,presented my offering to them in a proper manner,and caught it all on my own. No boat operator to tell me to cast,what angle,blah blah blah.

I'm not one to bag on other techniques,I float fish from time to time when it would be more effective. But man,the grab is where it's at. I also don't net fish from the bank. That annoys me .

Oh an one of my pet peeves is when flat billers say "the fish were on 'the chew' today". Makes me want to commit murder.

#1036157 - 08/08/20 12:24 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: JussieSmolt]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Time and place for everything. One time walked into a hole in the late afternoon. A large group was packing up after spending most of the day there - without a bite. Tossed in a pink worm with a bobber and hooked on the first cast.
I was also walking out from the Sandy one day. A guy was standing near the hatchery creek. He told me that he watched two big summer runs come out of the creek and run behind a rock, but that they would not bite anything. He encouraged me to toss a jig behind it. I made one cast and hooked into a beast. I lost it at the bank but still felt pretty bad about it, so I just snipped my line above the bobber, tossed it to him, and continued on out. Another time I hooked 4 or 5 steelhead out a real shallow pocket. Probably hooked them all in less than 15 casts. I wouldn't have believed that they were there, and that there were that many, if it didn't happen The last one was pretty large, so I kept it as my second and pointed out the slot to two guys that had just floated down ( they saw me hook at least 2 and netted the last one). They were drift fishing while I had been using jigs. I hiked back to my car, did a few things, then while driving out I stopped and checked up on them. They were still drift fishing. No bites, but they did say they snagged and released one out of the slot.

I like to catch fish, so, I utilize the best tools I have available.

#1036158 - 08/08/20 12:28 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: Krijack]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

And you feel like drift fishing is inferior to your tools of boober fishing. Got it.

#1036160 - 08/08/20 12:35 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

That long haired kid seems to know a bit more than a couple of those other doughballs. They fish beads and boobers.

#1036162 - 08/08/20 12:54 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: JussieSmolt]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Different places, times, flows, etc, all effect the best choice. If I had one choice, it would be a small cluster of eggs drift fished with alone. Second would probably be a sand shrimp tail. Next jigs, then corky, yarn, bead, spinners, spoons. I bank fish, so plugs and side drifting don't really apply, though there are times I have tried plugs or kind of side drifted by walking my gear down a long run. On day I walked into eagle creek on the Columbia. There were 200K between Bonneville and the Dalles, and I would not have been surprised to learn 50,000 were in the immediate area of the creek. There were 4 guys in a boat hooking up a fish every other cast. I, along with the other 3 guys there, tossed everything we had without a bite. The guys hooking everything would not talk to us, but despite their glares, I walked out as close to them as I could, and watched. They were tossing out bait, and then walking it back on the bottom. I drove to town, got some sand shrimp, started walking it back, and was getting multiple bites per cast. Most were pecking like smolt, so I missed most, bit it was still amazing. The other three guys on the bank were still there, and never did hook one. I had less then 30 minutes before dark, but still hooked quite a few and walked out with the biggest steelhead of my life (I broke one off that might have been bigger).
Never used that method again successfully, but that day and location, I believe it could have produced a 100 fish day. On a side note, my brother in law went back 2 days later and it was empty. I was seeing one roll every few seconds, he never saw one. Just the right place, right time, and the right method.

#1036164 - 08/08/20 01:09 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: stlhdr1]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA

Keith

Disagree.

smile

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1036167 - 08/08/20 01:33 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: Krijack]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Krijack
Different places, times, flows, etc, all effect the best choice. If I had one choice, it would be a small cluster of eggs drift fished with alone. Second would probably be a sand shrimp tail. Next jigs, then corky, yarn, bead, spinners, spoons. I bank fish, so plugs and side drifting don't really apply, though there are times I have tried plugs or kind of side drifted by walking my gear down a long run. On day I walked into eagle creek on the Columbia. There were 200K between Bonneville and the Dalles, and I would not have been surprised to learn 50,000 were in the immediate area of the creek. There were 4 guys in a boat hooking up a fish every other cast. I, along with the other 3 guys there, tossed everything we had without a bite. The guys hooking everything would not talk to us, but despite their glares, I walked out as close to them as I could, and watched. They were tossing out bait, and then walking it back on the bottom. I drove to town, got some sand shrimp, started walking it back, and was getting multiple bites per cast. Most were pecking like smolt, so I missed most, bit it was still amazing. The other three guys on the bank were still there, and never did hook one. I had less then 30 minutes before dark, but still hooked quite a few and walked out with the biggest steelhead of my life (I broke one off that might have been bigger).
Never used that method again successfully, but that day and location, I believe it could have produced a 100 fish day. On a side note, my brother in law went back 2 days later and it was empty. I was seeing one roll every few seconds, he never saw one. Just the right place, right time, and the right method.

That's a great story. Sometimes certain methods just work for the conditions and you can rail on them. Last fall I was swinging spoons with a friend(who is the best steelheader I have ever seen bar none) and we landed 80 fish in 2 and a half days between us,adult salmon ,jacks,steelhead. I love the grab. It's why float fishing is my least favorite fishing method. That and I have the attention span of a gnat. My float always goes down when I am daydreaming. Edited: Pulling plugs can be a yawnfest when it's slow.

Edited by ArvidBarker (08/08/20 01:34 PM)

#1036169 - 08/08/20 01:35 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: Dan S.]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Keith

Disagree.

smile

Just the lack of bait restricts ability then... rofl

Ok I said it!

Keith

#1036172 - 08/08/20 01:37 PM Re: Marlin and Addicted Fishing [Re: Krijack]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Krijack
If I had one choice, it would be a small cluster of eggs drift fished with alone.

That's all you had to say, I agree....

Keith

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
captainchris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Bob), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63782 Topics
645411 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |