THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1035728 - 08/03/20 06:22 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Most of my steelhead float rods fishing small streams I use a top shot. Fishing a fixed float like right now for summers I use 30lb braid to 12lb Seagar blue label attached with crazy Alberto knot. fishing bait with a slip float i don't use a top shot. never really seen a necessity too especially for salmon.

#1035731 - 08/03/20 08:25 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: ]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ArvidBarker
Originally Posted By: bobrr
What DO you contribute to this forum much less contribute in a positive way to anything?

"Am planning on running a bobber and eggs setup from river bank for fall salmon. "-OP

"Get a Daiwa Tatula SV TW for under 2 bills. Nix the top shot. Keep it simple. You will never backlash again." -ME

That's what I contributed. Sounds like you got triggered.

You know, you're right. You contributed a insightful answer to the O.P.s question. My apologies. Bobr

#1035735 - 08/03/20 10:43 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

It's all good bobr.

#1035741 - 08/04/20 08:10 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Float fishing for salmon:

30-60lb braind main to an inline weight. Braid is tied to one end of the eight. 25LB mono leader to the other end. Sliding float setup, etc. 4/0 hooks. Kings sucking down UEC eggs are *never* leader or hook shy.

Hucking spinners/jigs. I used to just use straight mono (8-12), but if you're fishing the Duc, you will need lighter lines as the water clears up. Some days 12 might work, but other's 8 is needed. So, I started running 30lb braid and a 20' topshot leader. Uni knots seem to work ok and casting isn't an issue. For the most part. The weight of the jig or the spinner should negate an ill effect of that small double unit knot hitting a smooth guide on your rod.

Downrigger. I prefer wire on the riggers and 25lb. mono on the reel. No braid. I crimp *everything* in the salt and B10 fishing. Crimping is the only way to go for heavy mono shock leaders (60-100lb) and work great for the 40lb spoon leaders and 60lb. AceHi leaders. Just check your crimps to make sure you are actually making the crimp correctly, else your crimps will fail.

Floating fishing for steelhead. 30lb brad. inline weight, 8-10lb leader.

Drift fishing for steelhead: 12-15 mono all the way.

Boondogging/side drifting. Mono only.

Flydogging/Bobberdogging: Use your float rod setup.

Swinging spoons: I still prefer straight 12lb mono over braid.

#1035754 - 08/04/20 09:30 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I will keep it short, in addition to all the above, I always use the Alberto knot to tie braid to mono/flouro.

I just caught half a dozen bluefin tuna up to 70 pounds with that knot connecting my braid to my leader...no troubles at all. It's easy to tie and ends up tiny and smooth and goes thru your guides almost like it's not even there.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1035758 - 08/04/20 10:31 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: Todd]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

That Alberto knot is a winner. Was gonna try that for a more seamless connection when surf plugging for stripers but I am a creature of habit. I do think braid in the surf is superior ,I run 20 to 30 depending on the size of the fish around and 40 lb flouro for the abrasion resistance. Swivel connects the 2,75 lb spro and a tactical anglers clip for easy lure changes. In case anyone was interested lol.

#1035865 - 08/05/20 02:05 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: SeaDNA]
homesick in san diego Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: SoCal
Gonna answer my own Q (why use mono Topshot). From an article in Salmon & Steelhead Journal, titled Spoon and Spinner Fishing with SuperLines for Salmon and Steelhead, by Bill Herzog:

When you’re attaching lures, avoid the Cardinal sin of tying your lure directly to your mainline. The reasons are many, starting with snagging up.

...when cutting the line is your only option and leaving a section of floating line (that never goes away) ruining a pool for other anglers is the ultimate sin. An 8- to 10-foot section “shock tippet” or “top shot” of mono is the best and only option for river fishing.

...why adding this length of mono is not an option. Hang-ups are simpler to remedy, as the tippet is somewhat lighter than the mainline. What ends up getting lost is the lure, or at worst the tippet and lure. Mono sinks, unlike the floating super line, so revolving lures can be presented at depth faster and at “normal” attitude. It’s called shock tippet for good reason — the stretch of the short length of mono provides a cushion, so to speak, when a hot fish strikes ferociously or makes lightning swift changes of direction without fear of hook(s) ripping free. The rubber band effect of mono shock tippet also prevents a determined head shaker from easily throwing a barbless hook. Lastly, super lines are opaque. While most aggressive salmonids would strike a lure tied directly to a bright yellow line (or an opaque natural toned one), just as many or more turn away at the last second. Numbers of the strikes go way up when a section of camouflaged natural toned translucent mono is tied to the lure. Mono knots don’t slip out and are far easier to tie to the lure.

If I inadvertantly, thru ignorance, violated any copyright laws, or pissed off the publisher, his son or the author -- please delete this post and accept my deepest apologies.

Sincerely,
Roger R

#1035875 - 08/05/20 02:14 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
What is happening?

#1035881 - 08/05/20 02:18 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: NickD90]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: NickD90
What is happening?
Good question. I still use mono when I swing spoons,but if the General says otherwise I have been blowing it!!

#1035909 - 08/05/20 02:48 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

Double uni-knot. 6'-8' mono leader.
30 seconds or under to tie. If you can tie and cut clean you should have no problem with it running through your guides.

Spoons, spinners, senkos, chatterbaits, hell, any type of reaction bait. You're gonna want a mono leader to get that stretch which buries that hook a little deeper when a fish crushes your lure.

Herzog nailed it.

#1035936 - 08/05/20 05:31 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
For float fishing a stream, the advantage of the mono topshot is that if your float is set to slip, it will slip faster and your presentation will set up faster. Floats will slide slower on the braid, especially as it ages.

I personally go braid to swivel and keep it simple.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#1035941 - 08/05/20 06:59 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: Jason Beezuz]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

BEEZER FTW!!! lol

#1035959 - 08/05/20 09:22 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

problem with floats and mono that ive gathered, is that mono will chaffe with bobbers, friction is friction, might just be me, im OCD about this sh!t...

brayd fo lyfe...

#1035961 - 08/05/20 10:16 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: 5 * General Evo]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I tried that fireline crystal 08 for float fishing and really liked it. But it's white so I can see why folks might want to darken a few feet of it,or add a top shot.

#1036200 - 08/09/20 10:57 AM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
No More Ice Fishin Offline
Returning Adult

Anyone else have this issue? I don't have any problems with a few different styles of knots connecting braid to mono, but when I have to break off on a snag, I usually lose the mono (so the braid/mono knot breaks, not mono/lure knot). The connection is plenty strong and seems to only break when the appropriate force is applied (i.e. what feels like the right pull needed to snap 12 or 15 pound mono).

Normally not a big deal to occasionally re-tie a top shot, but it becomes more of a pain in the ass when I'm fishing real woody coho water and sending twitching jigs into dark places. Break offs become more frequent, and retying the top shot is more of an ordeal than quickly grabbing another jig out of your pocket. Actually, it's only a pain when your buddy keeps peppering casts into a hot pod of fish.

Just curious if others have the issue of breaking off at the line to line connection vs. line to lure.

#1036206 - 08/09/20 03:29 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

If I were breaking off that much I would just use a palomar to a swivel,leader with an improved clinch.

#1036218 - 08/09/20 10:21 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
Originally Posted By: No More Ice Fishin
Anyone else have this issue? I don't have any problems with a few different styles of knots connecting braid to mono, but when I have to break off on a snag, I usually lose the mono (so the braid/mono knot breaks, not mono/lure knot). The connection is plenty strong and seems to only break when the appropriate force is applied (i.e. what feels like the right pull needed to snap 12 or 15 pound mono).

Normally not a big deal to occasionally re-tie a top shot, but it becomes more of a pain in the ass when I'm fishing real woody coho water and sending twitching jigs into dark places. Break offs become more frequent, and retying the top shot is more of an ordeal than quickly grabbing another jig out of your pocket. Actually, it's only a pain when your buddy keeps peppering casts into a hot pod of fish.

Just curious if others have the issue of breaking off at the line to line connection vs. line to lure.

If you're using a Uni to Uni the knot likely isn't as strong as the knot tied to your jig. Learn the FG knot and it'll never break where the lines are tied together.

#1036236 - 08/10/20 02:35 PM Re: Topshot Braid to mono knot [Re: homesick in san diego]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
A few years ago the dash point dock was on fire for kings. Most of the guys were fishing straight braid to a jig. I watched guys horse them in an effort to avoid the seals, only to have the fish start to thrash at the dock, popping out the jig hook. One guy lost at least three ,in an about a 2 hour stretch, all right at the dock. With no stretch, these hot fish were able to rip the hook out at least 50% or more of the time. I was fishing straight mono, 10LB, and while the fight was a little longer, I was not having the same problem.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |