Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105301 - 12/29/00 02:42 AM Poll on Rain Jackets
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I thought I'd pose this question out to all of you. I'm not asking about what type of jacket you're wearing, I want to know HOW you're wearing it. To be specific, do you wear your vest/fanny pack over your rainjacket or under it?

I'll post what I do. I always buy my rainjackets one size bigger, and wear my vest under the jacket. I rarely need access to it and rarely do I ever zip up my jackets anyways when it rains. This way my vest stays dry and I can peel my jacket on and off without having to take my vest off first to put it back on. There is no right answer here, just personal preference. You have mine, what's yours?????

------------------
you haven't lived til you've rowed a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

Northwest River Fisherman

#105302 - 12/29/00 01:10 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
FreeDrifter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Vancouver,WA
Steelheader69-

I use to do a lot of bank and drift boat fishing before purchasing a sled. The rain jacket that worked best for me was a Helly Hansen waist cut jacket. It had 6-8 pockets so I had no need to wear a vest with it. It also was cut just right for rowing a boat. I found the longer 3/4 length jackets to be a real pain when rowing a boat. Give one of these waist cut jackets a try. You'll love it!

#105303 - 12/29/00 01:50 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
badmisterevil Offline
Fry

Loc: vancouver wa. u.s.a.
I've always worn my vest, or life jacket over my rain jacket. It's easy access to the vest or lifejacket, and they dry out if they get wet.

#105304 - 12/29/00 03:08 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Rain jacket on the outside

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#105305 - 12/30/00 12:31 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Rain jacket on the outside, vests etc.. on the inside. I feel the vest on the outside "rubs' the water through the fabric, and doesn't let the raincoat breath like it should. You don't get as clammy/damp and your gear (vest) stays dry, resulting in fewer rusty files and hooks.

#105306 - 12/30/00 01:26 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Thanks for the responses. Hey Freedrifter, I already have two good rain jackets, all I wanted was opinions on how jackets are worn. I have a full length that I rarely wear. But I have two "wader" jackets that are the shortlength. I have an older cabelas guidewear I use for warmer weather and my filson waistlength for colder weather.

Keep responses coming...

------------------
you haven't lived til you've rowed a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

Northwest River Fisherman

#105307 - 12/30/00 06:35 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
I use my jacket as a vest

#105308 - 01/04/01 12:53 AM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I have a Frog-Togg jacket that I wear. It's really nice. very lightweight and rolls up and fits in the back of my vest.

#105309 - 01/04/01 01:22 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
Les Johnson Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington, King Coun...
With both my old (and now discarded) Patagonia SST and my new Cabela's breathable wading jacket I am able to get everything I need into the pockets:
2 boxes of flies
A few leaders and three spools of tippet
A wallet for extra fly line tips
A few floats for fishing frog water
It is not all that lumpy so I just don't use a vest.

#105310 - 01/04/01 01:29 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
I personally like to use Hodgemans fishing coats, they are 100% waterproof and very breathable. Another bonus is that you can fitt all of your fishing gear in it, plus as much clothing that you think is needed.

The prices are 55$-100$ for the thicker coat

#105311 - 01/04/01 04:34 PM Re: Poll on Rain Jackets
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I have one of the Hodgeman fishing jackets, and it is certainly 100% waterproof. However, mine at least seems to be waterproof because it's made of very thick PVC. Holy cow! If you need to lose four or five pounds of water weight, you're welcome to borrow my jacket and walk a few river miles on a wet, warm day.

For Christmas last year my folks gave me a HellyHanson fishing jacket. It's waist length, dark green, and has plenty of pockets, both in and out, plus a good hood. It also has velcro wrists on the outer sleeve, and inner wrist sleeves made of neoprene. If I stick my hand and wrist in the water, the sleeve keeps the water out of the jacket. It breathes very well, and I rarely sweat in it.

When I saw what the damn thing retails for (nearly $300) I just about choked. I never would have spent that much myself, but it's a gift and I'm not complaining.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (20 Gage, seabeckraised, No More Ice Fishin), 1175 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |