Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1058272 - 12/05/21 01:46 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
There are major issues in the N Pacific. Statistically, and somewhat logically too, they are tied to the massive chum and pink stocking. Those programs have been correlated acrosss many species and hemispheres. Add to that the impacts of the changing climate and ocean conditions. Hell, even the N Pacific crab fisheries are mirroring PS steelhead.

We will not, as Salmo alludes, be very successful at recovery of steelhead (or likely much else that is ocean dependent) until we investigate and address the issues out there.

#1058274 - 12/05/21 02:17 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Salmo g.]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
ask yourself how much you're willing to spend raising hatchery steelhead to return just one adult to the river of your choice. Current SAR are so low that I think we are at that point.

Say it again for the people that continue to praise hatchery plants as the end all be all savior.
Guys like Cameron, kratzer etc like to run their mouths like it's just that cut and dry.
Ignorance isn't bliss, we are all better than that.

#1058275 - 12/05/21 05:17 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
kingdog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
If fishing is outlawed only outlaws will fish.

Roger that......The Satsop is on fire!!!!

#1058276 - 12/05/21 05:24 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: On The Swing]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Vashon/Grayland
Remembering something Skip Zapffe said one afternoon side drifting eggs at the confluence of the Salmon on the Snake, “thank god there’s no more dinosaurs or we’d be saving them”. At some point in time perhaps we need to throw in the towel, knowing there’s no going back. Hatchery management zones and wild fish sanctuaries.

#1058277 - 12/06/21 11:00 AM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
It is very telling how the blame is pushed on the state, and not the actual causes.
If you are wanting to fish for these last remaining fish, take a good look in the mirror, you are part of the problem!

#1058278 - 12/06/21 12:24 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

So if the state is managing less resource out there then take the money we still pay and apply it towards planting more fish.

Seems like they are doing less and less every year but the revenue is growing.

Give us fish.

#1058279 - 12/06/21 12:50 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
kingdog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

So if the state is managing less resource out there then take the money we still pay and apply it towards planting more fish.

Give us fish.

What the hell are you......a business owner?? Your economics make way to much sense. Pipe down and be happy with what you get mister and you get nothing.

#1058280 - 12/06/21 12:56 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

“Give us Fish !”

WD, some Birthday wishes cannot be granted, and unfortunately this state will not be helping anytime soon with your wish .

Happy Birthday too ya’s anyways !

#1058281 - 12/06/21 01:39 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Salmo g's point exactly

last 4 comments sucking the hatchery d!ck like it's a messiah and continuing to avoid the SAR conversation.

Atmosphere wrote a song called "the skinny" about sucking that white d!ck, though he was talking about cigarettes, the hatchery outfall pipe here serves a eloquent substitute.

#1058287 - 12/06/21 07:30 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: On The Swing]
kingdog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: On The Swing
Salmo g's point exactly

last 4 comments sucking the hatchery d!ck like it's a messiah and continuing to avoid the SAR conversation.

Atmosphere wrote a song called "the skinny" about sucking that white d!ck, though he was talking about cigarettes, the hatchery outfall pipe here serves a eloquent substitute.

You seem pretty experienced at that act. Do tell.

#1058288 - 12/06/21 09:14 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Daddy's little boy likes Uncle Richard.

#1058289 - 12/07/21 07:13 AM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Give us fish.

What I am saying if your going to plant fish. Have a budget to spend on fish. Plant enough in a system, that at least return something more than almost nothing. If you look at smolt plant reports, many streams have smolt plants 20,000 or less. Based on the current return success rates, that is a waste for any opportunity. Understanding current poor smolt survival rates, doesn't it make more sense to collect those numbers and put them in quantity some place that can offer recreation? Seems to be a no brainer to me and could satisfy many.

#1058290 - 12/07/21 09:47 AM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Paul Smenis
It is very telling how the blame is pushed on the state, and not the actual causes.
If you are wanting to fish for these last remaining fish, take a good look in the mirror, you are part of the problem!

Looking in the mirror for the problem only makes sense when recreational fishing is part of the problem. I'm glad to say that recreational steelhead fishing has zero to do with the very poor steelhead returns this year or any recent year. We know where the problem is, and the problem is in the Pacific Ocean, not the mirror.

#1058291 - 12/07/21 09:53 AM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Give us fish.

It seems like you're not very good at math. Planting more fish amounts to taking more of your money and flushing it down the toilet. That's not going to result in the more fish that you want. Steelhead SAR is about to reach the point where it will be economically advantageous to raise hatchery steelhead from egg all the way to harvestable adult all in freshwater captivity and then release them into some kind of kiddie pond and invite you in to fish for them.

I sympathize that you want more steelhead to fish for. I do too. However, smart money tries to understand what is possible and separate that from the delusional. Sadly, you're in the camp of delusional.

#1058292 - 12/07/21 11:32 AM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Salmo, I suspect that some folks would be happy if we planted adults to catch. Lastways something to catch. We did, and may still, have a westside pheasant program and S Africa and Texas (among other places) raise various "game" mammals for hunting. It's the new wave; we can't be satisfied with, or protect, what nature provides.

#1058293 - 12/07/21 11:48 AM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Salmo g.]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Give us fish.

It seems like you're not very good at math. Planting more fish amounts to taking more of your money and flushing it down the toilet. That's not going to result in the more fish that you want. Steelhead SAR is about to reach the point where it will be economically advantageous to raise hatchery steelhead from egg all the way to harvestable adult all in freshwater captivity and then release them into some kind of kiddie pond and invite you in to fish for them.

I sympathize that you want more steelhead to fish for. I do too. However, smart money tries to understand what is possible and separate that from the delusional. Sadly, you're in the camp of delusional.

Salmo comes from the school of excuses.
Who can blame him?
It's paid the pension and continues to buy the Depends.

#1058294 - 12/07/21 11:57 AM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Planting steelhead costs a lot of money, and doesn't return many fish to catch, in most cases not even enough to provide eggs for the program. It's not a very wise investment right now.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1058295 - 12/07/21 12:03 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Todd]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Todd
It's not a very wise investment right now.

When was WDFW ever wise?

I've temporarily given up fishing for steelhead for now. Just not worth my time and effort. If I lived a lot closer to the OP/Hoh, I'd happily walk in shoulder-to-shoulder amongst Slamo and his fellow bug chuckers and ground pound some drifts with spoons. If I could, I so would not purchase a license to fish for steelhead in 2022. I fish for salmon in fresh water, so I don't get a choice to exclude steelhead in the cost of my license.

#1058296 - 12/07/21 01:22 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Makai]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
I've given up attitude is part of the problem, another part of the problem is using the state as a scape goat.

Look in the mirror.

Mod Note: Check the edits to my post.

#1058297 - 12/07/21 02:49 PM Re: Steelhead Regulations 21-22? [Re: Paul Smenis]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Paul Smenis
I've given up attitude is part of the problem, another part of the problem is using the state as a scape goat.

Look in the mirror.

Yeah, the state never fuc*s shi* up, just look at Willapa Bay, a shining example of quality leadership making great decisions. Steelhead are on a downward spin, but choices the state makes does not give anyone much confidence of the state's ability to deal with the problems that can be addressed.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1026 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |