Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105905 - 01/08/01 12:17 PM Parking Decal Ticket
seadeep Offline
Smolt

Loc: Mukilteo, WA
Floated the Snoq yesterday, and my buddy ended up with a ticket on his rig that we left at the take-out. That rig had last year's sticker on the back window. His current sticker was on his other rig, the one he normally goes fishing in.

The ticket was for $66, issued by a blonde wardeness, I think the one who has been mentioned in regards to searching boats. After loading up, we went back up to get his rig where he left it after picking up mine, and she pulled up at that launch, probably to issue him another ticket, and they got into a discussion.

Interestingly enough, she had no interest in seeing his license, and she said he'd have to contest it in court because she can't take it back. Seems to me that if you have a valid license, and the stickers are free with the license, that you should be able to slide on the parking ticket if you can show your license. She just kept saying he needs to go pay another $5 for another sticker.

Anyone have any experiences like that? Is it worth his time to go to court and contest it? He's always fished legally, with a license, and always had the stickers on one vehicle or another, yet he still gets a ticket. Doesn't seem right...

#105906 - 01/08/01 01:14 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I agree SeaDeep-thats about as lame as it can get. I have not received a ticket, I've had it "removed/stolen" when I have returned to my rig. I started putting inside the window of my canopy. As well, we all know these stickers fade-so a person could duplicate a sticker easily. And what about all these eagle watchers on the Sauk/Skagit that are parking in State boat launches-they shouls ALL be ticketed. Or maybe your buddy should say he was eagle watching. I would probably dispute it

#105907 - 01/08/01 01:20 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
badmisterevil Offline
Fry

Loc: vancouver wa. u.s.a.
He should contest it! If there is never any opposition to vague, or unreasonable rules we will always have them. I have dealt with wardens before that were willing to give the benefit of the doubt and let you purchase the needed permit within a set amount of time. It sounds like this warden is on a power trip.

#105908 - 01/08/01 03:40 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Mole Offline
Alevin

Loc: sammamish, WA, USA
Please educate me - is this the "Access Stewardship Decal", or does it go by another name?

#105909 - 01/08/01 03:48 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
seadeep Offline
Smolt

Loc: Mukilteo, WA
Yep, that's the one. I couldn't remember exactly what it was called.

#105910 - 01/08/01 06:07 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Dont like the whole process. Fisherman and Hunters have been paying thier share for too long. If the state wants more money from bird watchers and hikers they should make a license for them and stop trying to get it from us all the time. I take my Decal and put it on 4 mil plastic and then keep it in my wallet, that way I can use for any vehicle I am driving. Dont care if game wardens like it or not. If they want us to have one for each vehicle they should charge 50 cents to maybe a buck for them. Of course then you have to scrap them off your rig every few years. Still a pain either way. thanks.

#105911 - 01/08/01 08:12 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
seadeep, I received a ticket because I forgot to turn in my steelhead card. It is a 95.00 ticket.

I went to court to dispute it as the warden said I could get it reduced but he could not take it back. I spent 5 hours in the court room waiting my turn and they reduced it to 40 dollars. Now you have to choose if it is worth losing most of a day and wages. I will not waste a day again for that kind of nit picking ticket (even though the warden was right). Hope this helps

Doubletake

#105912 - 01/08/01 09:01 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
I don't like the idea of having to keep an access stewardship sticker on my car, but the law requires that I do so. The state requires that you have tabs on your vehicle license plate, right? If you did not have your current vehicle tabs on the vehicle but showed a valid registration would you still get a ticket? Maybe not, but most likely, yes. Probably dismissable in court.

Key wording is "he had the sticker on his OTHER rig". Sorry seadeep, I smpathize with your buddy, but it was his fault. We've all know that access stickers are required and he should have had an extra. Two cars, two stickers. Shell out the five bucks for another or make a photocopy on some sticky back paper and call it a duplicate.

Bottom line is that the WDFW is %*#)%&! but you can't complain when they issue a citation when you are in the wrong. Have your buddy take it to court, show his current fishing license and hope the judge got some nookie the night before and he's in a good mood. Good luck and tight lines!

That blonde wardeness searched the hell out of my boat and my car. She's a firecracker but I really like to see that kind of enforcement. At first I was upset and felt as though it was an invasion of privacy and an illegal search, but now I don't care anymore because if it means she's busting poachers in the process, then that's fine by me!

[This message has been edited by SAUKit2em (edited 01-08-2001).]

#105913 - 01/08/01 09:43 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
As I understand it the "Access Stewardship Decal" fees are meant to cover the costs of maintaining game department access (boat ramps, wheelchair access, parking lots at access points etc.). It's a use tax and any vehicle parked in those access areas whether it be a birdwatcher or a steelheader must have the permit "displayed on the back window of their vehicle". Pay the fine you owe and get on with life. You may not like it but you broke the regulation. Who else is going to pay for boat ramps and access points on the river? As a fishermen I am willing to subsidize my sport.....if you don't want to pay the price take up an activity that is less frustrating because Steelheading will provide you plenty of frustration. Why do people try to get around the rules instead of abiding by them? Making photocopies? What's that?

#105914 - 01/08/01 09:52 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
So the fine is $66 and an extra decal is $5. 13 years worth of decals???? pretty easy call to buck up. Thanks for finding out for me . If it stings that much - go to kinkos. By the time you drive there, stand in line, pay for the copy, and drive home, I bet your into it for more than 5 bucks and the copy may not even be legal.

#105915 - 01/08/01 10:54 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Ridgefield, WA
Isn't it great that with the shortage of game wardens the ones we have have been reduced to meter maids. Must be easier for them to ticket cars instead of busting poachers and snaggers.

Got a boat trailer on the back of the car and they can't figure out that you must also have a parking pass somewhere.

Need a spare one, try this. Got a kid? Go get him a fishing license for free and get your back up sticker with their license. Don't have a kid, borrow one of the neighbors and go get them a license and keep the parking permit..

Walt

#105916 - 01/08/01 11:29 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
steelyhorn hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: eastside
Doubletake, how did they pop you for failing to turn in your punchcard???I realize that some of you thank it's great for a game warden/cop to ransack your boat and equipment but I thank it is B.S. for them to write cheezeball revenue generating tickets!! THat warden could have ripped up your ticket.. I was recently pulled over by a city cop. The cop informed me that my truck tabs had expired.. I informed her that it was an oversite and my fault but I also told her to walk back to her car and call in my plates and she will see that I in fact have already paid my license fees. She did, so everything was fine..To write a guy a chickensh#$t ticket like that puts a bad taste in your mouth. Now if the guy didn't have a fishing license then pop him for both. This guy certainly didn't deserve a ticket. Don't you guys ever get tired of the Gov't dictating your every move??? Tell the next warden to go and catch a REAL bad guy. Oh, that wouldn't be as fun or as easy!!!

#105917 - 01/08/01 11:46 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Ya....and last years fishing license should be close enough too. And while you're at it you can bonk some wild fish in the head and run for your car.....you can probably get away with that too. If you're willing to break one law you probably don't obey the others. I don't understand why so many are paranoid about game agents and regulations. I personally welcome their presence because they're out there to make sure that everyone plays by the same rules/regs. Regs inacted to support/maintain our fishery like it or not. A healthy fishery and facilities should be a lot more important to us than any perceived injustice due to individual failure to figure out the rules.

All of a sudden we as individuals can decide which laws/regs apply to us and which don't somehow rationalizing that we're just above it all. I can only hope the gamie is there to bring you back to reality. Go get'em blonde...our sport is counting on you!

#105918 - 01/09/01 01:31 AM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

It's not just the wardens who can or will ticket for not having the decal. A couple weeks ago a cop was at a boat launch and told a guy to leave or he would be ticketed for no decal.

#105919 - 01/09/01 07:01 AM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
sockeye Offline
Parr

Loc: Kent,WA U.S.A.
Here is the way I do it. The sticker is free with your license. Instead of buying all my licensees together I buy them one at a time. Freshwater fish, saltwater fish, hunting, etc, etc. This way I end up with about 4 stickers, plenty for all my rigs.

------------------
Sockeye

#105920 - 01/10/01 10:42 AM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
seadeep.. Boy did I have my eyes opened when on a recent trip to the Chehalis Courthouse to help my son fight a speeding ticket in the Cowlitz Riverin our sled (WE ONE the officer Jeski sited the wrong county code ). I had the displeasure of watching the judge hang 3 people ahead of us for not displaying the decal properly...Gavel down 66 bucks, he would not even consider there defense. One guy took the day off and came down from Camano Island, explaing to the judge that he and his wife had not fished in 5 yrs and he assumed that the 5 bucks for the decal was for the conservation program and did not have to be displayed on the vehicle since NOWHERE on the decal did it say it had to be put on the vehicle. The judge had his legal ass sistant get the RCW'S so he could look it up..it took him about 5 minutes, than he looked at the guy and said " it is your responsability to know the laws, no break for him 66 bucks plus a days wages. By the way this occoured at Mineral lake and he was 15' from the car with his decals in his fishing box, and that did not matter the Fish Cop ( watch out for officer Jeski in the Cowlitz River area He'll write his mom a ticket!
Tight Lines,

scott@warter.com

[This message has been edited by RiverLiver (edited 01-10-2001).]

#105921 - 01/10/01 11:40 AM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
ok guys,why does it have to be a sticker that messes up your window, i don't disagree with the useage fee but why restrict it to one vehicle, my truck has been in the shop more times than i care to mention, so then i get a rental does this mean i can't go fishing because my truck is broke and the sticker is in the back window,i know it's any one's fault i own a lemon, but it's a useage fee not a fee on how many vehicles you own,when you get a trail head premit i believe its good from certain dates not certain trails just my .02 worth

#105922 - 01/10/01 11:42 AM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
ok guys,why does it have to be a sticker that messes up your window, i don't disagree with the useage fee but why restrict it to one vehicle, my truck has been in the shop more times than i care to mention, so then i get a rental does this mean i can't go fishing because my truck is broke and the sticker is in the back window of my broken truck, i know it's not any one's fault i own a lemon, but it's a useage fee not a fee on how many vehicles you own,when you get a trail head premit i believe its good from certain dates not certain trails just my .02 worth

#105923 - 01/10/01 05:03 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Doubletake ,expain how you got ticketed for NOT turning in a punch card
I'm guessing that my last returned card was around 1988 ......Did I miss something here .......still not gonna turn one in.......Os

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft
Release all Wild Fish----<'))>>{

#105924 - 01/10/01 08:29 PM Re: Parking Decal Ticket
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Os, being the brain surgeon I am at times, I had been working 6 days a week since April and had forgotten to send in my old card. My brother and I had just arrived at the launch and the game warden asked what we were fishing for and I told him chums. He proceded to check our licenses and cards. So I handed him mine, he showed it to me and said there was a problem. It still hadn't dawned on me it was my old card. There ya have it, intelligence in action LOL. I don't think that I will forget again.

Doubletake (aka - the brain surgeon)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (No More Ice Fishin, steely slammer), 1138 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |