Rate This Topic
#1062578 - 10/02/23 08:21 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET *** [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Lots of limits over the weekend!

#1062579 - 10/02/23 12:37 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I've had amazing fishing the past 4 days, and I can't imagine it's been anything much less in the bay or for the QIN, because I've been catching brand new fish every day. Whether it's been cutthroat or coho I've been after, I've caught both, to super high quality, all on a 6-wt. fly rod. The coho I caught today beat the crud out of my hands when they ran (repeatedly); my poor old Tioga 6 doesn't really have much of what you'd call a drag these days, so palming has often been necessary...

Anyway, I'm much more pleased with this year's season compared to last, and I hope everyone else is enjoying good fishing.

#1062580 - 10/04/23 03:42 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

And we are off to the races with the weather forecast again. 10/10 NOAA says a large event is going to arrive! So far they are 0 for 3 missing location and total rainfall so let us see what this one does. The storm is supposed to be several days long but the 10th has several locations around the Wynochee Dam getting nearly 2 1/2 inches in 24 hours. The pattern looks similiar to the forecast that did not come to pass a bit back soooooo who knows!

Everyone should remember it is nets 4 / 4 / 3 days for the next three weeks and QIN start at noon Sundays. The NT commercials will fill any openings to fill out the four days. NT's have more time but it is late Oct and we can look at it then.

#1062581 - 10/05/23 11:22 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Fishing definitely slowed down just above tidewater after Monday. Few if any new fish around, and what was around was tight to brush and tight-lipped. Typical for flows this low, I suppose. Fishing was pretty good higher up, but the fish were getting blushy and not so quick to bite as they were last week.

The high pressure system coming in should produce a prominent east wind and shut the bite down pretty good until it rains again (which per Rivrguy's post will happen soon). The QIN does appear to be benefiting from outstanding timing for their fisheries this season (which of course isn't great for the rest of us, but whatever). Anyone know how they did this past week?

Finally, I've caught nothing but hatchery coho and jacks so far. What are others seeing?

#1062582 - 10/05/23 12:18 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

QIN fishing reports lag a week or more after pulling just depends on if they are communicating with WDFW and staff is on the ball.

Abot 50 / 50 H&W

#1062587 - 10/05/23 03:32 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
QIN fishing reports lag a week or more after pulling just depends on if they are communicatingwith WDFW and staff is on the ball.

Abot 50 / 50 H&W

Sounds good. I've been mostly fishing a river with a hatchery run that is usually weighted to the front end of the season, so I would expect to see mostly clippers early on.

#1062590 - 10/06/23 09:58 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
10/06/2023

I've NEVER seen any QIN catch totals that show/list "hatchery or wild" numbers or male and female numbers.

Its not like it wouldn't be valuable information, and maybe it is done. Maybe WDFW receives a breakdown, if they do, it is not posted on the WDFW web site.

Sports on the other hand....heaven help your ass, if your "punch card isn't filled out completely, and tough [Bleeeeep!] if you forgot your pen or your pen won't write on a wet punch card....

Edited by DrifterWA (10/06/23 10:03 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1062592 - 10/06/23 08:57 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

My punch card is always wet on the rivers.I can't get a ballpoint pen to write on it. I make an attempt and an officer can see that I tried. When I get it dried out I then write on it clearly.

#1062594 - 10/07/23 07:29 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: FleaFlickr02]
seabeckraised Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mason County
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Fishing definitely slowed down just above tidewater after Monday. Few if any new fish around, and what was around was tight to brush and tight-lipped. Typical for flows this low, I suppose. Fishing was pretty good higher up, but the fish were getting blushy and not so quick to bite as they were last week.

The high pressure system coming in should produce a prominent east wind and shut the bite down pretty good until it rains again (which per Rivrguy's post will happen soon). The QIN does appear to be benefiting from outstanding timing for their fisheries this season (which of course isn't great for the rest of us, but whatever). Anyone know how they did this past week?

Finally, I've caught nothing but hatchery coho and jacks so far. What are others seeing?

Went out twice last week and caught nothing but hatchery fish! Literally zero wilds out of maybe 30 fish. Makes it easy to release those that don’t quite make the cut. Interestingly, it’s probably been a ratio of 6:1 females to males for me. Definitely getting some eggs for Springers!

#1062595 - 10/07/23 07:31 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
seabeckraised Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mason County
Not sure if any of you got the email from WDFW, but it looks like they’re considering adopting electronic catch reporting which would be nice as another option.

#1062596 - 10/08/23 08:19 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I did not see that but have some questions. Would the electronic reporting be in lieu of a CRC in the field or like we now do with Big Game and Turkey tags. Still need to mark it but then file it electronically?

I see ( and not just WDFW) getting on a really slippery slope of requiring direct reporting. If no service, you're in violation. I also don't like the app for regs. Again, if I am out in the tule-weeds and they change a reg I can't find out about it.

I just don't like the trend to requiring me to have smart phone of some sort just to do anything.

#1062597 - 10/08/23 09:56 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
I think In Oregon you have the option of e tagging your fish or using conventional CRCs, not doing both. I would be surprised that there wouldn't be a non smartphone option for recording catch. As you point out there are many areas eg OP where cell phone reception is sketchy.

#1062598 - 10/08/23 12:55 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

im sure u will have to download the app for the right price!!

mainly region 6

#1062599 - 10/08/23 07:29 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: darth baiter]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Vashon/Grayland
Oregons license allows you to tag offline. They recommend you open the app before you loose signal. I tagged a fish on the lower D with no signal no problem. Also decided at the last minute to dig razors at Gearhart, grabbed a license on my phone and was digging in 5 minutes. I’m a Washington resident when will this state line up? Yes a bore copy is still an option in oregon but I don’t think too many retailers even offer it anymore.

On a side note I wasn’t sure of a catch code yesterday and launched the fish Washington app without service, it eventually launched with a sync error but gave me the last downloaded regs and the catch code of the river I was on. Hey Olympia catch up you’re missing out on revenues.

#1062600 - 10/09/23 10:28 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Get Bent]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Well the weather forecast is moving around. Tomorrow is supposed to be the biggy of a three day event with the total two inches plus maybe three depending on location. A couple of days break and then five days that total 6.54 in upper Satsop. It is the second one starting the 15th that is going to send flows way up! The three dayer starting today moves things up but the flows drop right back down. I do not think that will happen with the second event starting the 15th. Time will tell if NOAA has it right.

https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi?v=20200803v1

Just hit the home tab on the site linked after looking at the weather and it takes you right to the stream flows 10 day forecast.

#1062603 - 10/10/23 08:57 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I've been biting my tongue for a few days after your post Rivrguy but finally gave in. Your reports on NOAA"s weather predictions reminded me of a comment a lady friend made about snow in the western WA lowlands. She said it was just like sex; you never knew how many inches you'd get or how long it would last. Looks like that can be said about the rains and stream projections, too.

#1062605 - 10/11/23 10:31 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

That's what your lady friend told you?!
I'm sorry.

#1062606 - 10/11/23 10:39 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Interesting so far. Want to see something interesting take a look at this forecast. Keep in mind I never bet on this being dead on but rather showing trends. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/aberdeen/98520/november-weather/336359?year=2023

Now that is one ugly November trend!

#1062608 - 10/12/23 04:45 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Well CM it appears NOAA got it somewhat right. Satsop was late on the rise went straight up and now flows are dropping down the same way. Upper Chehalis well short of the forecasted flows so it is going to be about when and where one fishes for water conditions. I guess the old saying don't like the weather wait and hour or two it will change is in play!

#1062609 - 10/12/23 07:51 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

We had about an inch here. It came in waves of downpour and then sun. My plants are happy for the water. May have pulled the coho towards the Deschutes as have seen no jumpers since the rain got serious.

Page 185 of 203 < 1 2 ... 183 184 185 186 187 ... 202 203 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1233 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |