Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1063617 - 03/07/24 02:35 PM Interesting anomolly
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I was just taking a quick look at the hatchery reports myself and noticed that the Tumwater hatchery reported 1692 hatchery coho back this year, when in the prior years it appears to have been less than 60, with 2018 not reporting any and then 2017 having the highest shown at 115, then none reported from 2013 to 2016,

This is a huge variance. Anyone have any ideas. I don't think they were planted, as all were listed as being released. All were reported as hatchery fish. I suppose it could be bad data again. Interesting if not.

#1063618 - 03/07/24 03:20 PM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
That is quite a increase. Could they be strays, say from the south sound net pens?
Though it is only planted with chums, my local creek get some stray hatchery coho.
SF

#1063624 - 03/08/24 01:44 PM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I would think the hatchery coho at Deschutes in Tumwater are most likely Squaxin Island net pen strays.

#1063627 - 03/09/24 09:24 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
If I recall correctly from discussions (way back) that the coho strays we saw in South Sound came from a variety of places. The biggest source was, of course, net pens. But what I remember the interesting part is that each hatchery stock went to rather specific areas. If you had Minter fish you didn't have Squaxin, even if Squaxin was closer. It was an odd pattern.

At that time, too, if memory serves, much of Squaxin fish came from Wallace River.

#1063638 - 03/13/24 11:05 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Man this river once was stuffed with fish.
And the brewery was the big dog.
Sad.

#1063639 - 03/13/24 11:20 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

I noted the phrase “ was “ likely straying from the net pens as stated above. Question “is” , are there no more net pens in south sound to stray from ? Then ask, what’s the difference betwixt net penning and losing strays vs fish farming and straying salmon. Farming, penning, corralling, all seem to leak strays ?

#1063640 - 03/13/24 12:10 PM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

There isn't much difference. IF you used local native stocks for your pens then strays would not be that big of a problem. I know that the SSNP's had coho from Wallace River; that was more of a problem.

The big fear, which has so far (a century plus of trying) proven rather baseless is that the Atlantic Salmon, or other imported stock, could escape, stray, spawn, and ultimately outcompete the native salmonids. So far, I think that century plus of rearing Atlantics in the PNW and trying to get them established have resulted in one successful spawning once. But that's the fear. Especially now when we have reasonably vacant anadromous salmonid habitat for somebody to move into.

#1063641 - 03/13/24 02:47 PM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

“ Especially now when we have reasonably vacant anadromous salmonid habitat for somebody to move into. “

In this day and age, a very interesting point to ponder...

#1063642 - 03/13/24 07:42 PM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

It is said that nature abhors a vacuum. She makes an exception, I think, for politicians.

#1063643 - 03/14/24 08:23 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: 20 Gage]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: 20 Gage
I noted the phrase “ was “ likely straying from the net pens as stated above. Question “is” , are there no more net pens in south sound to stray from ? Then ask, what’s the difference betwixt net penning and losing strays vs fish farming and straying salmon. Farming, penning, corralling, all seem to leak strays ?

I'm curious also? What net pens, locations and species, used to be in service around the 80's? What are, if any are in service now? If not, why not? I knew Blackmouth net pens were in service and producing back in the heyday late 70's, early 80's from Olympia to Port Townsend. Did'nt know much about Coho net pens back then. I do remember catching lots of fall adult Coho jigging So of Narrows. Huge numbers returned until the El Ninio of 84-85. Never has been the same since. Seems recently, I have heard net pens are starting up again. Anyone have any details?

#1063644 - 03/14/24 09:24 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

This might give some info on net pen programs.
Kind of interesting that the Elliott Bay net pen program releases a million coho but on 50k are clipped.
So much for mass marking……
SF

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02468/wdfw02468.pdf

Edited by stonefish (03/14/24 11:57 AM)

#1063645 - 03/14/24 11:02 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

If true, that “the Elliott Bay bent pen program releases a million coho but on 50k are clipped. “. Then, the remaining 950, 000 coho released surely were wild stock, vs hatchery supplements, right ?

That’s how they , and the best fisheries /hatchery management practices available tell us the wild fish were being protected from extinction ?

No wonder the non commercial’s fishing seasons are cut short protecting and saving all the wild coho released...

#1063646 - 03/14/24 11:03 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: stonefish]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

The future brood document is the correct reference, but it is so large (~1200 pages) that unless you have some idea where to look, it is basically useless. I'll attempt to answer some of the questions based on memory.

RunNGun: There used to be coho net pen programs damn near everywhere. The largest ones were in South Sound at South Sound Net Pens (WDFW) and Squaxin Island Net Pens (Squaxin Tribe). Both of these were at the same location next to Squaxin Island. Fox Island (WDFW) also had a very large program, but there were also substantial net pen programs in lakes near the Nisqually River (Sequalitchew Lk.) and in the Puyallup River (Kapowsin Lk.). In addition, just about every marina in S. South (and probably the rest of Puget Sound) had one or two net pens that were cooperatively taken care of by local sports groups. Hood Canal also had a stable program at Port Gamble and the Suquamish Tribe had a large program at Agate Pass. Hood Canal added a net pen program at Quilcene Bay as well. (Elliott Bay coho pens came in some time here, but I'm less certain about their history than further south, so I won't comment about them.)

I did not work for WDFW so I can't say for sure why many of the programs ended. Outsiders were told that it was because of budget cuts and I suspect budget played a big role, but when you use that excuse, you really are just saying that other things were more important. In order to deal with the "budget cuts" and still keep facilities operating, WDFW switched the release program at many of the marine sites to fall Chinook yearlings assuming that since the contribution of FCS yearlings at Percival Cove (Deschutes R.) was high, the net pens contribution would also be high. By switching to Chinook, they also felt that they could simply switch the cost of production to the Puget Sound Recreational Fisheries Enhancement Fund since its legislation called for the release of FCS yearlings to contribute to the winter blackmouth recreational fishery. So, some of the larger programs were switched to Chinook yearlings. There were two major problems...those FCS yearlings were not as easy to rear in salt water as coho yearlings and they did not contribute well to the fishery. That low fishery contribution was also found in freshwater facilities where they started raising the fall Chinook as well. Since there was little effort to actually evaluate the program changes, what really happened was that a bunch of money was wasted to give the impression that they were "producing" when they were really only producing releases and not returns. (Fairly common for many hatchery programs at the time.). The last problem for the FCS yearling net pen releases, came with the listing of Puget Sound Chinook under the ESA. Since all of these fish were released in salt water, there really was not a collection site for the returning adults to swim into, so there was an assumption that they created a higher risk of straying and spawning with natural populations than fish reared and released at a freshwater site with collection facilities. Frankly, from my looks at the CWT information that we finally got, the survivals were so poor that straying wasn't an issue. It just made no sense to release them. [That's my recollection of the evolution of the net pen programs. CM or others here may have additional information.]

stonefish: The Elliott Bay net pen program is confusing. The Future Brood Document says the program uses native Green River coho, the brood origin is "mixed" and the program is integrated. I'm afraid that some of the language used here has gotten pretty loose, so I'm not sure exactly what is going on. If the stock is truly Green River native, I don't think the brood origin should be "mixed." The source of the eggs for the "integrated" program is also unclear. I can only find egg takes from hatchery facilities contributing to the program rather than taking eggs from natural spawners (required to be "integrated" by what it was defined as. Perhaps there has been a change.). If you look at the combined releases of Green River native coho, both from net pens and freshwater facilities, this is huge combined program, and I doubt if there are enough naturally produced coho in the Green River to actually successfully integrate it. The marking is also very strange. The fish released from WDFW facilities seem to be marked. The ones from the net pen are not except for a small group for evaluation. If it were really some sort of highly integrated "recovery" program, that would make sense, but it is not. Good luck figuring anything else out.

#1063647 - 03/14/24 11:20 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

No doubt that is a big, info filled document.
For those wanting to search the broodstock PDF, just use control F and search terms like "net" or "NP" to make it easier to sift through the data.
NP, short for Net Pens will give you 44 results and might give you the info you want to find regarding net pen programs in the sound.

OncyT,
Thanks for the information.
SF

Edited by stonefish (03/14/24 11:54 AM)

#1063648 - 03/15/24 08:28 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: OncyT]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: OncyT
Frankly, from my looks at the CWT information that we finally got, the survivals were so poor that straying wasn't an issue. It just made no sense to release them. [That's my recollection of the evolution of the net pen programs. CM or others here may have additional information.]

Thanks for the info. I get ESA listings affected the program and it makes sense having no collection abilities. But, if survivals were so poor how was the fishing sooo good? And it was good with regular boat limits, 2 fish per person back then. Was it the sheer volume of net pen production?

#1063649 - 03/15/24 10:14 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: RUNnGUN]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Thanks for the info. I get ESA listings affected the program and it makes sense having no collection abilities. But, if survivals were so poor how was the fishing sooo good? And it was good with regular boat limits, 2 fish per person back then. Was it the sheer volume of net pen production?

The marine net pen releases of FCS were never very successful and were not in production during the heyday late 70's and early 80's that you and I remember. Freshwater releases of FCS yearlings were driving the "success" of those fisheries. Certainly some of those FW releases where from "net pens" like the ones in Percival Cove, but others were just normal hatchery releases. I only put quotes around "success" because that success was driven by at least one other factor besides survival. For instance, the minimum size limit for resident Chinook was lower then and a successful trip with limits of smaller resident fish turned into unsuccessful trips with nothing but shakers once the size limit was raised. It's been too long for me to remember how low the size limit was in that heyday, but when that treaty/non-treaty allocation imbalance that was mentioned above occurred, one of WDF's responses was to raise the size limit, thus lowering the non-treaty catch. I know that it happened at least once, going from 20" to 22", but I believe it actually happened at least twice, arriving at the final limit. [CM and SG might remember] If you looked strictly at survival, (which took some time, since WDFW simply assumed the marine FCS programs and some other new FW programs would be successful and didn't bother tagging most of them), entire programs accounting for 10's of tons of fish released contributed only 10's of actual fish in the catch. Again, pay attention to the time frame when the marine net pens switched to FCS and other programs started to tap into the PS enhancement fund money. It was not during the heyday that you remember. (BTW, WDF's other response to deal with the allocation imbalance was to pay for increased releases of zero-age FCS in areas where they would increase the treaty catch, primarily in the S. Sound region of origin, since that is where the imbalance occurred.) [Again, CM and SG, check for accuracy.]

Edit: After I read this, I remembered that during the heyday, the yearlings raised in Percival Cove were actually allowed to swim freely around the cove. It wasn't until fish eating birds discovered the easy picking there and the hatchery folks couldn't continue setting off fireworks to discourage them just below the Capitol, was the production moved to net pens in the cove.

Edited by OncyT (03/15/24 10:23 AM)

#1063650 - 03/15/24 11:27 AM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I can remember in the mid-70s when there was no saltwater minimum size for Chinook; those being the only Chinook I ever caught in saltwater. I think the minimum size was raised a couple times, like Oncy says. The reason was to lower the catch to meet allocation requirements.

One needs to look at the total releases, which were pretty large. But we also had some really large returns, too. Nooksack/Samish Falls were returning, as adults to the net fishery, at or above 100K fish in the mid-80s. I think we used to get close to 20K adult Chinook back just to the Deschutes.

I was not directly involved in a lot of the planning but I am pretty sure that WDF was using hatchery production to get fish back to the Tribal fisheries. I don't think, though, that there was all that much evaluation of actual results. There were some situations where groups were tagged to evaluate so question and then there was no effort to recover the returning adults.

I do remember that by the 90s/00s that there was some economic analysis that showed a single fish in the catch cost $100+ to produce. And the kept producing them for some reason.

#1063651 - 03/15/24 06:21 PM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Carcassman]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
I'm pretty sure that there was a size limit for Puget sound Chinook in the 70's, but can't remember what it was. I remember wrtiting a ticket to a participant in the old Tengu Salmon Derby in 1972 (held every weekend) for a short Chinook. A VERY rare violation.
For years I've tried to get momentum for building a hatchery on the Deschutes in Tumwater, but promises by WDFW keep being broken. I think that the hatchery promises were made mostly to keep a few peeople employed. Hundreds of thousands have been spent on plans, maybe more than a million. I believe in hatcheries. Sometimes the returns to the Deschutes holding pens are phenomenal even after they've passed through a bunch of fisheries. The idiots that manage this hatchery quit passing Chinook upstream about ten (?) years ago. That action has helped kill an ecosystem that was established in the early 1950's. Now the river is open to salmon fishing, but no Chinook are passed upstream. All surplus is sold. In my law enforcement training, I'm wondring who is getting paid off! It's happened before.

#1063652 - 03/15/24 06:28 PM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Carcassman]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
On of the things I remember most about fishing the far Soth Sound is that fishing for small Chinook near Anderson Island in the '70's and later was really good even though the early blackmouth were small. But I caught several in the 12-15 lb. range in the spring. Anglers were happy, with the good action. Fishing out of the Narrows area was even much better, for larger fish, well into 80's. I think some of that had to do with White River springers, but a lot had to do with delayed net pen releases. I remember the tribal net pens in the Fox Island area well. It caused lots of problems when residents found nets tied to their docks and us Fishcops had to deal with that.

#1063653 - 03/15/24 07:25 PM Re: Interesting anomolly [Re: Krijack]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I was involved in the Deschutes hatchery in the beiginning, like late 80s/erly 90s. As I recall we had located the water, located the site (in Pioneer Park) and I know I was working on some treatment designs for the wastewater. Then I got RIFd elsewhere and lost that thread as to where it was going.

ESA mucked up the passing of the Chinook. IF they successfully reproduced up there they would create a "wild" run that would require protection and mess up all the sport and commercial fisheries down here. Squaxin were very opposed to accepting that risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1333 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |