LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108099 - 02/14/01 02:59 PM Proper way to release?????
MacSteely Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kennewick, Wa.
I've read and heard many ways to C&R the nates- I'm confused .......what is the safest way to handle the native fish without causing trauma? Is there a different technique used from the bank opposed from the boat?

#108100 - 02/14/01 03:22 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
You'll probably get a few responses to this, but here's my go at it.

1. Use gear that is sufficient to bring a fairly large native steelhead to the point of landing in a reasonable time. Using 4# leaders seems fun, but not to the fish that dies after a 25 minute fight.

2. I never use a net, but if you do, use one of the cnr basket type nets, or a cotton or rubber meshed net. The nylon nets are like sandpaper on their scales. If you do use a net, don't pull it out of the water. Dip the fish, then unhook it, then lift it out of the water and net at the same time.

3. Try not to pull the fish out of the water when you beach it. Get it in without even hitting the bottom, if you have a partner who can tail it for you. Wool gloves help immensely in getting a good hold on a steelie's tail.

4. Pull the hook out with pliers or forceps. You can usually get it on the first try, and faster than by hand.

5. If you're going to take a photo, have your buddy get the camera ready to go and point it at you, then pick the fish up for the picture, holding it by the tail with one hand, and the other hand under the body of the fish (see Bob's daily pics). Don't ever pick a fish up by the tail and hold it vertical unless you are taking it home. Their backbones are not designed to carry their weight out of the water.

6. Smile for the picture. You're a big stud that just caught a steelhead. Look happy.

7. Put the fish back in the water ASAP. If you're measuring it for posterity's sake, use a soft tape and measure the fish while it's in the water, not flopping on the bank.

8. Time for the release. Cradling it just like you did for the picture, point its head upstream in fairly slow current. Don't thrash the fish back and forth. At best it does nothing, at worse stresses the hell out of it and fills its gills with sand and silt that you're flushing up off the bottom. Sometimes a slight back and forth rock will liven it up a bit. I usually cradle it until it tries to get away, then don't let it go until it tries a second time. You don't need to shove it back in the river, just let go. It knows how to swim just fine.

9. Jump up and down, yelling "WAHOO!" at the top of your lungs, running up and down the river bank pointing at all the others and talking major smack. (This one is not required, but sometimes feels really good).

10. Start fishing again. No one ever caught a fish running up and down the bank yelling WAHOO.

I was going to say "that's it in a nutshell", but then I realized it's pretty long and not in a nutshell at all. So,...that's my take on it.

Fish on...
Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#108101 - 02/14/01 04:06 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I'd say Todd has it covered. I'd like to emphasize #6. Smile. I don't know why, but I always want to slap guys who try looking all stern and badass when they're getting a picture taken with a steelie. "Me macho can benchpress big pounds have just whooped this fishy."

#108102 - 02/14/01 04:21 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
I think todds take on c&r should become the c&r handbook or bible for all of us to go by. mainly #'s 9 and 10.

#108103 - 02/14/01 04:57 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Proper C&R techniques, continued:

11. a. If you're fishing with bait, put in a new chaw, chuck a big loogey on the nearest tree branch, and then flip a bit of egg goo on the nearest flyfisherman's rod handle.

b. If you're fishing with plugs or hardware, put new smelly jelly on your lure, rub a bit on your lips so they don't get chapped, and comment to the bait guy about how much cheaper smelly jelly is than buying roe.

c. If you're a flyfisher, tilt your nose up to the proper level, just short of where rain gets in it, light your pipe, adjust your tweed cap so as to properly show off your fishing getup with pride, and then say nothing to the bait and lure guys. Just glare at them, and mumble under your breath.

Fish on...

Todd

(DISCLAIMER: Numbers 11a-11c are meant to be humorous, and do not reflect the fact that I am a bait fisherman, who occasionally uses lures, and knows several flyfishers. I hope nobody gets all bent-just a joke!!)

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#108104 - 02/14/01 09:09 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
Raptorwill Offline
Fry

Loc: poulsbo, wash ...
#1 dont touch the fish if at all possible

2 use barbless hooks

3 leave the fish in the water no nets

touching or netting a fish removes the vital protective slim on them

which creates the white scum that some more popular c&r rivers see on fish

white scum is fungus----which invades after the slim is removed--

handleing a fish is big noo noo

why do i know this
worked for the hayspur fish hatchery in Idaho for 3 yrs when goin through school

and lived next to silver creek which the upper portion was c&r and resulted in infected fish

teach peaple the proper way to c&r--could be the best thing you did all season

hear so many diff techs -- but well it isnt ones personal techs -- its the one that will return the fish safetly

#108105 - 02/15/01 03:06 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
In my opinion the most important elements of a successful low mortality release is to use a single barbless hook and keep the fish in the water. Believe me you won't loose many fish without a barb.

#108106 - 02/15/01 09:34 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
If you want to use barbles then ok but there is no proof that barbs kill fish. studies show that if fish are handled and released right then barbs make no dif. I have no problem with barbs or barbles. it's a matter of choice.

dcrzfitter

#108107 - 02/16/01 03:31 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
flyfisher1066 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
As for barbs, let's be on the safe side and go barbless under all circumstances. Barbs are unnecessary and there is no question that they lengthen the amount of stress placed on the fish when you're trying to wrestle the damn thing out. This translates into more dead fish. That's a no no. And I agree, don't handle them too much. b

#108108 - 02/16/01 06:34 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

dz, I am interested in the studies you are refering to. Where can I obtain these studies? I would like to know the facts. From my experience it seems to add more stress and sometimes more damage to fish using barbs.

#108109 - 02/16/01 07:38 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
Regarding barbs< you will hook more fish with barbless hooks for the same reason that you can drive a nail deeper into wood if it is of a smaller diameter less resistance as it passes through flesh and mor importanly bone or gristle. This will probably make up for the few that get away by hooking a few more. And lets face it barbs rip up more flesh and blood vessels on the way out than they do on the way in,ask your doctor. That should be reason enough to make you want go barbless at least for C&R.

Additionaly when the fish is on for an extended period of time, as in a big sucker, the sharpnes of the barb has a tendency to work against you buy cutting a larger hole and even cutting the hook out freeing the fish.
Another thing I have observed about barbs is there are a lot of well educated people who will never, regardless of what you show and tell them, stop using them its a mind set thing and remains one of those comic opera disscusions that will keep coming up as long as they make hooks with barbs on them.

#108110 - 02/16/01 09:18 PM Re: Proper way to release?????
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
I don't have a copy but it was posted on this BB in the last 2 years. it was out of STS. did anybody els see this article? I think bad handling of fish kills more fish than a barbed hook. I use small hooks so I don't need to worry about gettng that big thing driven home. and it does less damage to the fish. If you use barbles then more power to you .I just don't like having more things in my tackle box. I have enough junk. If I have to use barbles then I will pinch them down.

dcrzfitter

#108111 - 02/18/01 01:25 AM Re: Proper way to release?????
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

I don't think I want to base the truth from a sport fishing article in a magazine unless it is based on science. I want to see the the offical study of barbless vs barbed before I agree. I agree with Native Son there are more bleeders with barbs. I believe if we want to keep the C&R mortality to minimum on wild steelhead and juveniles we should evaluate our fishing methods to help reduce the impact.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |