Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109263 - 03/07/01 10:39 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
I think that sleds on the sky above sultan have gotten out of hand.
one saturday last summer I counted 16 sleads going up river before 6:20 am, the river changed colour wile I stood in it.Three guide boats pounded the water that I was fishing first.I wonder if these guys should try pandering something else and leave the rivers and the fish to people not motivated by money

#109264 - 03/07/01 11:17 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
There is nothing wrong wth sleds, Its the people who operate them. Ive been in sleds before I could walk. I have no problem sharing a smaller river with sleds as long as the driver has a clue what he is doing. I would rather have a sled go by my driftboat fastand onstep then slow down and throw a huge wake. If Im in a spot where a sled needs to go in order to make it or down the river safely, I will move out of the way. Maybe some of you sled haters should hook up with someone that has one and let them show you the world from thier point of view. Then maybe you will change your tune.
As for stupid people in boats. There is a strange thing happing at boat launches all over the country. When people get in their boats their IQ's drop to about 1/2 of what it was. I know most of you have seen this. There needs to be away to stop this before someone gets killed.

#109265 - 03/08/01 03:34 AM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Okay, I have to put in my two cents worth, I own a sled and a 22 foot Walkaround and a 14 foot olympian for the kids in the lake.....and my steelhead partner has the driftboat.
I have not and most likely will never fish the Wynoochee with my sled, but when it comes to the Chehalis or the Cowlitz or a few other larger rivers, it can't be beat. With this low water we have been experiencing, my sled has been sitting idle most of this winter.
I am sure there are people in the sound that hate guys in 22 footers too, the guys in smaller vessels, probably complain about our larger wakes.
Then I am sure when my kids are racing around on the lake with the 14 footer, there is probably a guy or gal in a canoe, or a flyfisherman in a float tube that is getting all worked up.
What I am trying to say is that you will never be able to make everyone happy. All we can do as boat owners and fisher people is to act responsibly and maybe we can all get along!
It is wrong to hate somebody because they have a different way of doing something, unless they are negligent in doing it.
BTW.....Had a great day in the driftboat on Sunday.....even had to shed all the clothes before the day was done. Only sad part was the dark filleted Native Steelie on the beach at the take out

------------------
Steve Ng....The FishNg1
99 F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 , 18ft Alumaweld Formula Vee Sled, 115 Yamaha, and now also Campion 215 walkaround, 135 Merc.

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#109266 - 03/09/01 02:16 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
flyfisher1066 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Centerpin, the sleds on the Sky really turn my stomach too, and the same goes for just about every other river. The last thing I'm looking for when I'm out fishing is the sound of engines. Sometimes when I hit the sky I think about bringing a surfboard so I can ride the waves those sleds make. At least I'd have something to do after they spook the whole damn river. People tell me the fish don't mind; I don't buy it.

#109267 - 03/09/01 03:39 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
I agree with "its the driver" and with keeping sleds on the larger rivers only. Have fished from a sled, have been almost washed out by a sled, and its all comes down to who is behind the wheel. I dont fish the Cowlitz anymore because of sleds. NO fun trying to drift a river while 2 dozen sleds race up and down around you all day. And mostly to show off thier overpowered boat.

#109268 - 03/10/01 09:52 AM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
I have to take some exception to that...sure there are some guys that might walk in the only slot deep enough for a sled to navigate, but have you considered that in that case maybe the river's too small for your sled?

As my name implies I beat the bank most of the time, but ride occasionally with buddies in both sleds and drift boats. The sled's great for access, but sometimes I want to duck when we pass close to guys on the bank. In the drift boat the bankies might tip their hat. In the sled you're apt to get another type of acknowledgement.

Quote:
Originally posted by escapee:
I think most of the people who think sled pilots are inconsiderate would change their tune if they were holding onto the tiller. Sometimes you must run fast to make it through the water you are in, sometimes you have to run close to someone on the bank, depending on what the river conditions are. I know some bank anglers have thought me rude when I was trying to be as considerate as possible, what can I say? I am not going to go home just because some bankie feels the need to stand right in the middle of the slot to fish. He is the one being rude in my book anyways since he is standing right where anyone with any sense would want to fish.

#109269 - 03/10/01 03:55 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
I own a 14' hewscraft. I run within 3 feet of people fishing. I have stopped and asked people where they would like me to go. All said, as close to shore as possible. That way you don't run over the water they are fishing. I have not had one person complain about coming too close. I suppose it could be bad if I had a lot bigger boat, but at full tilt my wake is only about 6" high. I just got a drift boat and will use it where I can't use my sled and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#109270 - 03/10/01 07:36 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Sleds have gotten out of hand on the upper and mid Sky. THey are fine in the Snohomish. THey do spook the fish especially in clearer water. THats why the salmon stop rolling around for 10 or more minutes after a sled buzzes by.

It doesnt take more than one inconsiderate person to ruin it for others on small rivers.

BW
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1391 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |