Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111119 - 04/05/01 08:29 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
Anonymous
Unregistered

SB, I have to make an example of your post as something that we don't want on this site anymore! Right after some members chastised SS for his C&K mentality, Bob came in and set the record straight. Did you have to come in after Bob's post and flame with foul name calling?!? No. That only stirs up flaming that snowballs to nowhere. The $ is fine when you want to use that in a more appropriate posting, but let's all cut the name calling flames. Thanks. - RT

Edit: smile Thanks for editing your post SB. Really appreciated! And I hope Mr. Stick gets the point. But I have my doubts that his mind could be changed for the better; I think perhaps his self esteem needs are stronger than our reasoning? rolleyes

[ 04-06-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#111120 - 04/05/01 10:11 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
What a shame!!!! I think this picture needs to be GONE from here!!! frown frown

#111121 - 04/05/01 10:18 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
(Before I continue, let me say that I think it is wrong to kill any animal whose species is endangered. I also think that as long as anyone is stringing gill nets across the rivers, all the arguing about C&R vs. C&K is rather moot. From the little I've seen, only about 1 out of 5 people with a rod-n-reel have any clue what they're doing, so they're not much of a hazard to the fish.)

It has always puzzled me why C&R advocates think so highly of themselves WRT preservation of the species. I mean, if you hook a fish that just swam upstream 100 miles, then fight it for 1/2 an hour with a hook stuck in its mouth, do you think it's going to be in any mood to spawn, if it survives at all?

Would you shoot a deer with a bow-n-arrow (carefully, in a non-lethal location), then track it until it is too weak to run, patch up its wound, and send it on its way? Of course not. The deer might not survive. Why do this to fish?

I hear you guys bragging about how you C&R multiple fish per day. Don't you think this induces about the same mortality as the fella that catches one fish, kills it, then goes home?

I know it's a terrific thrill to catch a big fish, but how can you rationalize your treatment of the fish, and then be so inflammatory when someone asks about killing and eating one?

If you really want to protect the species, why not leave them alone?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#111122 - 04/05/01 10:26 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is wrong with catching fish to eat? When I catch a fish big or small, and it's within the law I eat it, I must say I enjoy fishing but also enjoy eating them. If it's wild or a cliped I still eat them. It is my understanding that not all non clipped fish are wild some of them are hatchery.

#111123 - 04/05/01 11:05 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
RichH Offline
Parr

Loc: Salem, OR
I can't remember ever playing a fish for 30 minutes other than oversize sturgeon. If you have that much trouble with salmon or steelhead its time to gear up to something that can land these fish in a reasonable(short) period of time, especially when fishing c & r.

As far as keeping fish to eat, whats wrong with hatchery fish? There are plenty around and thats what they're here for. Down here in Oregon they instituted c & r on unmarked fish several years ago and the returns the past few years have been great. Try it and I think you'll like it.

#111124 - 04/06/01 01:10 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
fish_finder Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, Wa.
If you want to bonk a 20lb fish go to the Cowlitz they get a few huge hatchery fish every year. Let the native steelhead spawn man.

#111125 - 04/06/01 01:48 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
By the way, If you catch a great big steelhead and measure it for a reproduction, then you can make it look alot better than it actually was in real life, Foe instance I have caught four fish this year that were over 20 lbs according to the length and girth measurements. The biggest happend to be a colored up buck, but I garauntee you when I get the repro done it won't be that colored, just my 2 cents worth.
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#111126 - 04/06/01 01:51 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
I agree with Finegrain (Mike). The nates do their best to make it back to the rivers only to have fisherman jerk them off the spawning beds. Do you actually think this does no harm? And folks often go to their 'favorite' spot which is the same location, over and over, catching the same fish multiple times potentially.

If your truely concerned about the health and well being of the nate runs, you will focus your efforts on the hatchery fish and minimize your nate fishing. I'm not saying end it, but in years of recent, there is way more boats on the rivers during the nate run than there is during the hatchery run. The recent closure of all fishing during the nate run didn't bother me at all. I was amazed at the people whining about not being able to fish for them because all they do is C&R. It may be better than C&K, but it still does harm. If the runs ever become viable again, this is a mute point, but for now, it is something to consider.

As for bonking 'a slab', I'd say thats been covered pretty well.

#111127 - 04/06/01 03:39 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve, I'm suprised to hear that there are more boats and pressure on the nate runs up in NW Washington than on the hatchery runs. Enough so that I wonder if you are refering only to this season when the brat runs were missing, and thus cut down the usual pressure on them? In Oregon the pressure drops way off after the brats taper off and the nates are more abundant. Always, including with this poor hatchery run season. Of course that could be because they can't keep nates in Oregon. ... I am also concerned about your claim of fishers "jerking" nates off of their redds; in fact making it sound as if that's what the majority of fishers do. I am suprised to hear that opinion; especially in light of the fact that fish on their redds aren't in prime condition. And I would think that the stronger prevalence of knowledable true sportsmen among the C&R fishers would not be likely to due this. In fact, I bet that most of them fish normal holding water rather than on up the river on shallow redds. What do most of you guys see out there concerning this issue? (Not trashing your rightful opinion Steve - just wanting to know more about what's happening out there. See my thread "THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT C&R SURVIVAL AND PAIN FACTOR?").

RT

#111128 - 04/06/01 07:38 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
steelie dave Offline
Fry

Loc: maple valley wa. king
First of all the chiefs suck. Second of all you can go to Sportco in Fife and buy one for 500.00 bucks (Welcome to the 21st century replica's). You'd save yourself alot of money. Guide 300.00 bucks. Gas 30.00 bucks. Motel 50.00 bucks. Food 40.00 bucks. One stuffed wild fish 500.00 bucks. Total 920.00 bucks. Sportco fish 500.00 bucks. Wild fish 920.00 bucks. Savings to you 420.00 bucks.

#111129 - 04/06/01 10:45 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
RT, I think two points you touched on are lending to what I am stating. First one, "knowledgeable fisherman". There are plenty that don't fall into this catagory and will fish anywhere on the river, as long as the can hook into a fish. On the Sky, the upper run usually closes March 1st if memory serves me. There are plenty of boats hammering this area right up until the close and this is the beginning of the spawning area. Doesn't seem right.

Second good point is the lame brat run and everyone with SH addicition needing a fix. The nates are that fix. Combine this with the fact that the real hogs comes up during the nate run, and most of us enjoy fishing for the big boys compounds the problem.

It will be interesting to hear some others observations on this.

#111130 - 04/06/01 11:15 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
GreenSauks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Hmmmmm...Interesting photo, this "Awesome" fish appears to have net marks present and sitting in large bin of ice. Looks suspicious to me!!!

#111131 - 04/06/01 11:26 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Time to Dump the pic of the Dead Nate,we've been set-up......keep trolling there Stubby......Os

I see by you're other post you want to catch a world record Salmon and now a 20 lb steelie too.....wow you sound like you want top be....
RT rolleyes .....Os

[ 04-06-2001: Message edited by: Osprey ]

#111132 - 04/06/01 11:33 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
drift boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
Dump it fast please.!!!!!! mad mad mad

#111133 - 04/06/01 11:53 AM Re: Slab Steelhead
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

I already made the comment to get rid of the picture yesterday but it is still here..wat up wit dat!!!!!! mad mad mad mad

#111134 - 04/06/01 12:01 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
Short_Stick Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane
I removed the offending picture. I just can't believe how upset you guys get about wild fish. I didn't even catch that one stateside. I took it on the Kispiox (British Columbia, Canada)in November of last year just before the river froze over. I wasn't really impressed with the river and the drive is horrendous which is why I was asking if there were any rivers closer to home. You guys don't seem to be much help but then again you can't get past the dead nate issue. I do own a camera you know.

Whoever said that the Chiefs suck better be from the Portland area. If not bite your tongue.

SS

#111135 - 04/06/01 12:05 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

I don't give a gosh darn where it was taken!Its wrong!!!!I believe your just here to stir up anger and resentment among us guys.

*Nicely put Kev. laugh

[ 04-06-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#111136 - 04/06/01 12:07 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
bank walker Offline
Spawner

That probably isnt even a steelhead you guys. I wouldnt be suprised if that was one of those "tripliods" from Rufus Woods. lol
Dont pay any attention to these Fish Nazis. Guys like that just want to get a reaction, and we all know were most of us stand.

CNR the nates, or find another hobby
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#111137 - 04/06/01 12:09 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
Short_Stick Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane
Perhaps you should refrain from posting if you have nothing nice to say. I think I have got the message that killing nates is wrong. I still don't know why but I respect your views.

Is there any rivers with oversized hatchery fish?

SS

#111138 - 04/06/01 12:17 PM Re: Slab Steelhead
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Read Fishing and Hunting News. If it's not in F&H News, you don't need to know about it!

Parker

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645440 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |