LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111464 - 04/10/01 11:14 PM Herring shortage? and a tip!!
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: St. Helens, OR
Well, since I didn't decide to get serious about springer fishing until mid-March, I've had to improvise a bit when it comes to trolling herring.

Supposedly there is a shortage on herring this year (funny how that happens when we have the largest springer run in memory in history) well, if you can't find anything but yellow label (I just can't get myself to buy this micro stuff) or puple label, here's a tip for you.

First tip, don't buy the yellow, there's a reason their's so many around. If you can't find red, green (good luck) or blue, here is what you can do with the magnum purple label herring.

First take a partialy thawed purple label herring, make the initial plug cut, then, make a cut the length of the herring from head to tail about a 1/4" below the back. Then make another cut from front to back a 1/4" up from the belly. Once these cuts have been made, filet one half off of the herring. You will end up with a 6-7" triangular filet of herring with the skin on one side and flesh on the other. The front (head end) of the filet will have the plug cut shape. This is important for proper roll when trolling. This is what's called a "SPINNER" I read about it in "Oregon saltwater fishing guide".

To rig this up, insert the top hook of a mooching rig into the plug cut end of the spinner from the skin side through to the flesh side. Then, take the back hook and hook it through the back end of the spinner. If you use sliding hooks, you can adjust the distance between hooks to effect the roll. I use fixed hooks, and a spinner wire inserted for a proper roll.

I cut up about a 1/2 dozen before I go out for the day, If you want soak them in your favorite scent for added attraction. This accounted for a limit on Sunday for me.

Try it and see if it works for you if you're hurting for herring.

Aaron

BTW, I found a case of Blue pack herring today (My favorite) so I'm going to compare the two (herring spinners and regular plug cut) and see what out produces the other. Stand by for news

#111465 - 04/11/01 08:48 PM Re: Herring shortage? and a tip!!
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Hey Jelly,

Do you think those strips run in a Canadian-style Ryes Davis plastic holder like a "strip teaser" or "herring teaser" would work too? If so, what colors would you use?

-N.

#111466 - 04/12/01 01:40 AM Re: Herring shortage? and a tip!!
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Stormin,

To be honest w/you, I don't even know what a RD holder or strip teaser is.?!? I've been just running the strips or "spinners" as is, just adjusting the wire in them to get the correct roll.

I fished the blue label herring tonight and picked up another #20 nate, released. So far the blue label is doing better than the spinners, but now that I have a stash of herring to plug cut I might just use it until I'm out.

As far as colors go on a strip teaser, based on my fly and hardware success, I wouldn't think you would go wrong with Chartruese, purple or orange with kings.

Let us know if it works

Aaron

#111467 - 04/12/01 03:45 AM Re: Herring shortage? and a tip!!
Ihookum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester WA
For your info there's no shortage of herring in westport. My wife and myself made a day trip last sunday threw the crab pots out, got 4 keepers. then jigged our limits of herring in about an hour. They were coming in every size from magnum to about 4 inches. I vacum packed and put up about 15 trips worth of bait. We were there on high slack and out going tide.

#111468 - 04/12/01 05:27 AM Re: Herring shortage? and a tip!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I did yesterday in Forks when I cleaned out a store of their Power 4" pink worms, I ahppened into the GI Joes Beaverton store a couple weeks ago just after their bait guy dropped off 14 dozen quality Ballard vacu-pack red label herring. I thought I'd be half way thru them by now, but I have only been C&R jigging nates all over the place. I am taking friends out in my sled for Columbia springers for the first time Friday. With a combo of my late start and likely early Col. closure, it looks like I have myself an over-stock. Hmmm. What to do?

RT

#111469 - 04/12/01 11:21 AM Re: Herring shortage? and a tip!!
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

RT,

I've got a killer stir fry recipie I can e-mail you for your surplus herring wink wink Better get out there quick for those columbia springers. Tuesday is the last day frown

Aaron

#111470 - 04/13/01 02:01 AM Re: Herring shortage? and a tip!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yum! Send it next Wednesday to my then new addy reeltruth1@home.com . I've got a delicate question about this recipe ... does it soften the bones? I've got enough probs with that as it is. .... HEY, I know what some of you nasty type guys are thinkin, but I am talking about the herring bones! I hate having to clean so many small bones out of fish before eating it. That's why I quit eating smelt, as good as they are fried up in batter and peanut oil. ... Stir fried herring and rice dinner. Yup, no need for 'nookie filets now.

[ 04-12-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#111471 - 04/13/01 02:38 AM Re: Herring shortage? and a tip!!
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

RT-

It's basically the same recipie as my SHAD stir fry. Yeah, It'll soften the "bone" a bit, in fact it'll probably ruin your chances at some "nookie" for a while the way that it stinks up the house. But as a measure to counteract bone softening I always have a side of black bear gall bladder or ground up antler, or if you cant find any of those sickle belly newt eyes will work. (stiffens things up a bit ;))

Baitfish, it's whats for dinner!!!

Aaron

#111472 - 04/13/01 04:11 AM Re: Herring shortage? and a tip!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good info Jelly. But actually I'll only get those other special ingredients if I try your herring recipe. With the largest spring chinookie run in decades going on though I better being eatin nookie. And I usually only find hard bones when having nookie. cool

--------------
Know 'Nookie or No Nookie

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1382 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |