THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117671 - 07/27/01 06:32 PM Re: Can you own the river?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
What I've never understood is that on the coast the beaches are public and treated as a public highway as far as rules of the road go.
Once you get in Puget Sound they become private.
At the coast you can walk/drive down the public access and then walk up and down the beach as far as you want. Inside Puget Sound, you go to the park and can walk on the beach within it's boundaries.
Never have understood that one. Maybe it goes back to the days before our paved highways when the beach was used.

#117672 - 07/27/01 07:52 PM Re: Can you own the river?
Dino Offline
Smolt

Loc: Walla Walla,WA
I know that OHWM applies to property rights after a certain point in history. I have been informed by both state and county folks that some of the older properties (the one I know if is over 100 yrs with the same family) do have property rights that not only include the ground under the water, but the water itself where it corsses the property. From what I understand, it is some kind of grandfathered property right.

I can't vouch for it's validity...but since the topic came up I figured I contribute smile

#117673 - 07/27/01 09:33 PM Re: Can you own the river?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
If you think the freshwater ownership issue is a convoluted mess, you should take a look at the saltwater ownership in Puget Sound.

From my understanding (as limited as that might be), the OHWM rule applies to ANY body of water that has been deemed "navigable". What determines that? That's where the murkiness appears. Only a court ruling can deem a waterway "navigable", so only a trip to court can ultimately tell you if you're in the right or in the wrong. There are no "grandfathered" rights of ownership of "navigable" waterways. But you might easily be arrested for trespassing on private property, and then have to go to court to find out that the waterway is indeed navigable and any deed showing ownership of said waterway would be voided by such a finding. For instance, Lake Washington has never been deemed a "navigable" waterway. Clearly it is navigable, but the state does not recognize it as such.

As for saltwaterfront, you must determine if the property has been deeded to the homeowner as oyster beds, under a mining contract, and where those tideland rights end...at the mean low tide mark, the extreme low tide mark, or what. The only way to find out is to call the State DNR Photo/Mapping Sales Office and ask them to send you a catalog of the available plot maps. Pick out the beaches you frequent, and order the maps that apply to you. It will tell you what's state land and what's been leased, deeded, and to where. You can reach their office at : 360-902-1234. The gal that answers the phone is super cool. If you need help interpreting the maps (some of them can be difficult to understand) Jim Thomas in the DNR Title/Records Office can help you out. He was very helpful with the questions I had. He can be reached at 360-902-1791.

This issue is anything but black and white. Black and white is where EVERYONE knows the answer and there's no need to get arrested and go to court to see where the chips fall. It's not easy getting an answer, either. After getting NO help from the Attorney General's Office, the WSP, or the WDFW I was lucky enough to get referred to Mr. Thomas by the Mason Co. Assessor's Office. Do your research to protect both yourself and the private property owners. Yelling "[Bleeeeep!] off!" to somebody who tells you to get off "their" property isn't the right way to handle it. Talk to them about it and see if both sides can be happy. Remeber, this issue became a hotbed partly due to slobby scumbag anglers (and I use that term loosely) dumping every kind of crap imaginable on the people's property, and those people are getting fed up.

Also remember that every piece of trash you pack out helps ensure our access to the water, every pice of trash you leave could result in another property owner getting fed up and denying you access to your favorite hole.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#117674 - 07/28/01 12:59 AM Re: Can you own the river?
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Saxon,wa.
Question, How many miserable, hoop wearin, dip chewin, hair dyein, 4wheel drive havin, mud throwin, riverbar tearin up, camp fire buildin, tubin, diaper changin, used condom flickin, schmitty pop, animal beer, berry cooler drinkin, no garbage packin, insinc or brittney spears lookin, MIS-GUIDED, CLUMSEY, F****S does it take to inhibit my legal access to my local holes on my local river?

Answer----------UNFORTUNATLY-----JUST ONE

CAN YOU TELL I JUST GOT HOME FROM THE RIVER? mad mad mad

#117675 - 09/25/01 12:54 AM Re: Can you own the river?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I could find the Washington State law (in writing, on the web) that has the wording for the Ordinary High Water Mark (OHWM) and ownership of property?

I'd like to have a little paperwork in my back pocket to show the warden in case someone sicks him on me.

-N.

#117676 - 09/25/01 09:52 AM Re: Can you own the river?
chumsalmon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham
stormin, check this website out, it ought to help, if not go to your local city hall, or county engineers office, they also can supply you with a copy of this info.http://www.adventuresports.com/river/nors/states/wa-law.htm, hope this helps.
wink

#117677 - 09/26/01 12:22 PM Re: Can you own the river?
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Federal Way
Try using this link to search through state law. It may take some time though to find the correct RCW. RCW 90 is water rights, but I am not sure if what your looking for is in there.
http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/default.asp

#117678 - 09/26/01 01:07 PM Re: Can you own the river?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Ya know this is a hot topic:
First I'll start by saying when I was a kid I just went there and fished and if people didn't like it the cops would show and I'd leave.
More recently in my calmer days, there have been a couple of situations that occured on the NF lewis and EF lewis. On the northfork there's a gentlemen that owns the rock on the northside of the meathole. During the spring it's usually closed to boats so the best spot to fish is off his rock. So we used to just go there and fish and he'd yell at us to get off the rock and we'd yell back about the high water mark and then one day he called the cops. Well the cop showed up asked us over and told us we couldn't fish there anymore. I asked the cop why and explained about the high water mark. He said he didn't know the law and said that we just had to leave.
On another note we were fishing the EF of the lewis and there's a hole above daybreak bridge that rocks for winter runs. We'd always anchor there during the weekdays and on the weekends the guy would come out and yell about anchoring in that hole, claiming he owned the river. That guy I told to pound sand and he's now moved and the issue is over.
But overall, the best way to go is to ask before you even enter the property. You'd be surprised how many people let you fish there land if you give them fish to eat, and keep things clean. Some people I've even offered to help with hay for the summer to gain access during primetimes.
It's sort of like hunting ask and thou shall be granted access!
Keith

#117679 - 10/09/01 01:54 AM Re: Can you own the river?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Dr. Pepper,

I talked to the guy that runs the duck club at the mouth of the Dungeness. According to him, the Dunge is one of three rivers in Washington State in which the state deeded the property UNDER the river to the property owners. In other words, the property owners own all the property, to the middle of the river (not to the observed high water mark like other rivers) but the State owns the water itself (since it is navigable).

What this means is, the only way you can legally fish in the river without the property owner's permission, is from a floating device (boat, etc.) but the boat can't be in contact with the land, or logs or such that go into the river, even if the only thing touching land is an anchor. In their case, they have even been deeded the land in the salt water to the -4.0 tide mark, which in Dungeness Bay is WAAAY the heck out there... so you (legally) couldn't even anchor up out there without their permission... not that I'd want to this time of year anyhow, as you'd want to be wearing a flak jacket... I was down at the Oyster House on Saturday, and you could see & hear the duck hunters firing many rounds.

He said they are going to crack down even harder this year on trespassers on the duck club land near the mouth, and won't hesitate to call the GW's. I guess they've had an increase in problems in the past 4 years.

Anyway, just figured I'd give you a head's up and try and avoid a ticket. There are fish already upriver of that property anyways, and with a little rain, we'll all be fishing further upriver anyhow.

-N.

#117680 - 10/09/01 02:21 PM Re: Can you own the river?
Dom Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Hey I saw your post and wanted to fill you in on the legalities of the situation. I'm a commercial real estate agent in Tacoma and wanted to inform you on how it works. The post that talked about the river being navigable by boat is correct!! If the river is navigable by boat, the property owner owns to the high water mark, aka the flood plain. If it's not navigable by boat, the adjoining property owners own the "the said" middle of the river. I got into an argument with a property owner telling me I was trespassing on his property. When I explained that I wasn't and if he didn't believe me he could call the sheriff and he would explain it to him, he backed away and let me go about my business. This situation seems to come up a lot these days and it's important to be informed on the law. Let me know if there are any questions.

#117681 - 10/09/01 04:08 PM Re: Can you own the river?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Dom,

This guy I talked to said that the way you explained is how it normally works on most rivers, but that the Dungeness and two other rivers in the state were not this way.

He said these rivers were originally deeded by the state as strictly for irrigation, that the state didn't view them as having any fish-holding value. Because of this, the state deeded all the land, even the land UNDER the river, to the property owners.

This guy sure seemed like he knew his stuff, had done his research, etc. Perhaps as a real estate dealer, you could do a little poking around and find out if this is true. I'd also like to know about the Elwha, if it falls under the normal OHWM rules or not.

-N.

#117682 - 10/09/01 04:12 PM Re: Can you own the river?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Dom,

You are correct. The state never had the authority to deed land below the OHWM on a navigable river. They may have deeded the property that way, butg they had no authority to do it in the first place.

Of course, if the sheriff doesn't see it that way, and you get thrown in the pokey, then it's going to cost you to defend yourself. It may or may not be worth it to you to test the waters, so to speak.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#117683 - 10/10/01 01:23 AM Re: Can you own the river?
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Stormin' I was just curious if the duck hunters could own the river. I probably wouldn't fish there though because there's a chance of getting shot. Sorry this is brief, but I gotta get to bed.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#117684 - 10/10/01 12:42 PM Re: Can you own the river?
Dom Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma, WA

#117685 - 10/11/01 08:26 PM Re: Can you own the river?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA

#117686 - 10/12/01 03:43 AM Re: Can you own the river?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Yeah, yeah, I followed that link earlier and read that text... what this guy on the Dungeness is saying is that three rivers in Washington state are EXCEPTIONS to this federal law, the Dungeness being one of them. They are excepted, he said, because they originally were defined as irrigation sources, not navigable rivers. The Dungeness, however, in the definition above, is clearly navigable.

So like I said before, I'd like to know if anyone knows where to look to find the definitive answers for the Dungeness and the Elwha.

Thanks!!

-N.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 722 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645386 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |