THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122208 - 09/30/01 08:16 PM The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since this fishing site is controlled by a man, I think it's a good place to critique the Critic, that a few of you know about and like to dislike. laugh (After being 'tipped' off about it, I'm just having a little fun with it, and giving the poor attention craving GODDESS what she needs - or deserves?). And this is also a good place to give those that don't get STS mag a way to land more kings.

She has started a new page on her ... geeez, what would ya call it? ... ah, hmmm, website I guess? - for lack of a better term on a public forum. The page is called Bad Tips. Some fly mag tip was her first target and my Kwikfish tip in STS (new fall issue) was her big target. Flattering, eh? I know she didn't even try it; not enough time to since it came out (I'm sure a lot of time goes by before she catches a king - and one needs to hook several to properly evaluate a rigup tech).

What that means, aside from her severe disdain for guys that reject her and her crap, is of course that I think it made her jealous smile . My Kwikfish idea came from the combined facts that I have had such good success over the years with beadchain extending a single siwash hook or treble back from Wiggle Wart belly loops for better landing rates for large kings, and the usual short striking silvers; leaving the back hook off. I've had landing rate improvement this way for these river hooked salmon. For steelhead the success ratio with this is about the same as using 2 light but strong trebles a size larger than stock. The other idea factor came because so many good fishermen have complained about losing a lot of Kwikfish hooked salmon. One of the reasons for that is the stock back hook is always flapping a good ways back and forth, angled outward at it's swing apex, such that this back hook often gets a marginal hookup that pulls free. And the stock belly hook is often missed altogether, or often gets a marginal hookup. When I originally tried the extended swivel beadchain rigup on K-15/16 Kwikfish and T-50 Flatfish this extended hook would drop just a little too far down to be in the best strike zone; except on occassion for using it in faster water. So I experimented very succesfully with small tapered foam 'floaters' on the large hook's shank to achieve neutral buoyancy in light to moderate currents, where we use these most often for big 'nooks. When I posted for suggestions about other types of floatant options I got a couple good ones; to either drill out corkies to put on the hook shank, or heat the shank and melt on a cheater. This rigup keeps the hook back far enough yet keeps it up and stable right in the strike zone! Instead of flapping all over the place like the GODDESS does. It also gives it a little more colorful attraction, and likely some irritation for more hits too (again, kinda like the GODDESS).

Here is what she essentially said about Kwikfish use (today anyway, I've been told she changes things fast on there):

Says she has fished with lots of guides and learned what they do [in exchange for some kind of favors I've heard - but I don't personally know what]. None of them fish them RT's way she whines. [duh, it's a new idea]. And they only use a very small 1" long thin piece of sardine filet so they don't have to re-tune them after wrapping. [if you look quick enough before she changes it, she 'critiqued' that I wrote I only tie down each end of the sardine filet in the STS piece; when I actually wrote to also wind the thread around it many times. rolleyes ] She said guides don't use large pieces like me, so they don't have to re-tune them often which she says crackes the plastic lure. She says she trims off parts of the many times thread wound filet to tune them. eek [I wrote using about 1 3/4" by 3/4" filet, and I've never cracked one yet when tuning them, no matter how many times I've done it - usually not many per lure though - and it's important for best success. and it must only be with guides up in NW Wash. that use really small filets for this? most guides in NW Ore. and on AK's Kenai R. use quite large sardine wraps on their Kwikfish, correctly saying it helps slow down their action in faster currents and also gives off more of the sardine meat micro-particles that entice the salmon. ... I use an in between size so to get enough scent runoff but also allow enough flash from the lure's finish to show to the fish from the back side]. She also claims to be a fishing guide. shocked [no comment]

Hey, that was fun. Hope it is of some benefit for you fishermen. How do some of you successful Kwikfish/Flatfish users like to rig your's up?

RT

#122209 - 09/30/01 08:36 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's revolutionary Steve laugh I've seen the technique in action and it works! Trolling tidewater on the Trask river yesterday RT got the only action and it was with this rig.

#122210 - 09/30/01 09:40 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

She wears it on here sleeve, RT. Now that you are out of favor, she will never let go of giving you crap. You are better off just letting her have her 10 hit a day site berating people, she is one angry person. Your tip seems solid to me, I will give it a try. C

#122211 - 09/30/01 11:04 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Slime de Boat Offline
Fry

Loc: Oregon
Chuck is right RT she has it in for successful fishing guys like you and Bob and maybe everyone. She is a headcase that really tries to damage people and their feelings. If she thinks can can match wits with you in fishing or dissing wit she is crazier than we thought! rolleyes rolleyes laugh I say you should just ignore her. She makes me want to change my nickname on here of Slime de Boat because she does that without catching any fish. :p

#122212 - 09/30/01 11:07 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
fishskagit.com Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lyman, Wa Skagit county
Hey RT! What's her web address? I've been looking for her site & cannot find it.

#122213 - 09/30/01 11:11 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Don S. Offline
Egg

Loc: Everett,Wa
I have to try this too, it sounds great. Is this in the current issue? I really need it, especially after going 0 for 4 today trolling warts on the Snohomish. I put the single siwash on the trailer and couldn't keep a fish on. I did see a few using treble hooks on their lures today, maybe they had better luck. wink

#122214 - 09/30/01 11:36 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

mad Get her address from another board.
Bob's board does not have to contribute one iota of space to that psycho mental midget.

#122215 - 10/01/01 01:07 AM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by posh II:
mad Get her address from another board.
Bob's board does not have to contribute one iota of space to that psycho mental midget.

Damn right!! I learned the hard way. This is what she wants-more people to visit her site, more attention etc. etc. etc.

If you/we just let her be she will go away and die a lonely, pathetic death!!!!!

#122216 - 10/01/01 02:58 AM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Well Kwikfish are a fun thing for sure, there's nothing funner than having the rod bury and landing some monster kings.
My opinion on hooks would be to switch to Gamakatsu trebels. Obviously matching size of hook to the size of kwikfish. I've never personally tried the extended chain on the kwikfish but I could only imagine it would help the odds.
As for tuning, certain kwikfish don't need much tuning, ya know the ones that seem to catch all the fish. I personally tune check the tune everytime I rig one up, and especially after landing a fish.
As for filet size I think RT is right on the money for the 15's and 16's. Although too big of a wrap will kill the action. One might note the depth of the meat on the rap is crucial also. The bigger sardines sometimes require a bit of "shaving" the depth of the meat to make them lay flatter to the kwikfish and the skinnier the depth of the wrap the longer the wrap you can use.
Another thing I'd recommend is using tuff line as a mainline and a mono leader when running kwikfish to get away from the stretch in mainline and secure a better hookset.
Just my opinion, but RT you're right on the money in my book! Sounds like she needs some attention, ya know the kind you get at the mental office! wink
Keith

#122217 - 10/01/01 03:37 AM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have no intention of posting that sorry URL anywhere!

Hey thanks Keith. ... Even though the rain is late again, I still plan on having you, and James too if he wants, fish the lower Trask or Wilson in my boat when the water conditions are right and the 'big hogs' are in. We will not only do some 'egg dialin' like you were nice enough to do for me on the NF, but we will be doin some fish nailin 'Kwikfishin' RT style. You will love it. And you are right where I'm at for fighting those ocean fresh kick ass lunkers with strong superbraid mainline and 30 lb. +/- Maxima leader. It's just flat out a fightin blast trying to keep 'em out of branches in a narrow river with the current up and flowing! Well, maybe not quite so much fun when you see a chrome bright 35 lb. hen full of perfect tight large egg skeins that takes off toward a snag eek . Momma!

Yeeehaaaaw! Please Lord, start the rain for us. smile

Steve

#122218 - 10/01/01 02:13 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Jeez Guys, sometimes it's amusing to listen to a foul mouthed, drunk chick - but you shouldn't take her seriously. You must be taking her seriously or else you wouldn't get so PO'ed. For about 50% of what she says-the opposite is true; for example, she says that she's cute :p

#122219 - 10/01/01 02:43 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Hey RT, if it makes you feel any better, several guides down on the Cowlitz have been fishing their mags and kwiks with a beadchain swivel for years. Of course since Jim and Guy don't fish with one, then you know the thought of using a beadchain swivel is silly. laugh

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#122220 - 10/01/01 04:55 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
RockLizard Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lakewood, WA
Also try the bead chain on your spinners as well, especially with short strikers.
Tight lines
Rock

They can have my eggs when they pry em from cold dead hands

#122221 - 10/01/01 06:02 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
One last post on this topic. I just have to say it. RT, I'm sure you catch more fish than her, but give yourself credit where credit is due. You're also prettier. laugh

#122222 - 10/01/01 11:04 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well thank you KB. What are you doing for dinner Saturday night? eek laugh jk

#122223 - 10/02/01 05:07 AM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Saxon,wa.
Look at the trunk on that clam-bumper laugh laugh

#122224 - 10/02/01 06:14 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
For the Queen of Spey...............she sure catches a lot of fish on spinners rolleyes

I think you 2 make nice couple ...sparky:eek :(jk)...........Os

#122225 - 10/03/01 10:40 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
just yer everyday ATTENTION HO!!!
don't let her get to you RT.

dc laugh

#122227 - 10/04/01 05:17 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh Aunty, "Just think of the fun things he could do!" eek Sounds like fun to me. laugh

#122228 - 10/04/01 05:30 PM Re: The fishing tip critic - FISHING GODDESS :)
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
You guys better watch out! If she get wind of what you're saying on this thread, she'll come on here and rip you a new one! OUCH!!! eek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (DrifterWA), 586 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |