Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129815 - 12/09/01 04:24 AM Fly Reel/Line Q's
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

I have recently purchased a GL3 8wt 9'9" fly rod for winter steelhead and silver fishing I don't yet have the rod out fitted with a reel or line and don't really want to spend and arm and a leg to do so.
I read a post by "spoon man" about the Okuma reel, and I am curious which one of the Okuma reel that I should purchase and what type of line should I spool it with.Or if there i a better reel for under lets say $125

Also is the rod that I purchased any good. I am new to the "fly"fishing thing so...I will also ned some idea as to what flies to use.

Thanks

#129816 - 12/09/01 07:58 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Migrating_Smolt Offline
Parr

Loc: Yelm, WA, USA
EggsGuy,
Try the Okuma Integrity I 8/9. It has a Large Arbor design, Strong disc drag, one way bearing on spool. Just check out Okuma Integrity web site.
Mine only cost a little over $50.00

#129817 - 12/09/01 08:20 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I think you get what you pay for. We picked up an Okuma Integrity for this year's Alaska trip and caught probably 50 silvers on it, which might be a couple of year's fishing here but is a week's worth up there. The drag is OK but was not nearly as good as the drags on our higher end reels, particularly the Penn 1.5 G models. Those babies are the ultimate.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#129818 - 12/09/01 10:41 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I would go with a Ross Cimmeron.
Reliable, lifetime warrenty and like they say, it is the guides best friend. I had the same rod with the Ross outfit and it works excellent, for salt and fresh. LL bean and Orvis have nice reel with lifetime warrenty for under $150 worth looking at.
The rod you have is a powerhouse.
Excellent fresh and salt water rod.
I had no problems landing fish into late teens and even a few over 20+.
It is extremly light for a long rod.
It is easy to mend line and you can punch a fly through to the other side. On a small river it will work just as well. For the money it is hard to beat.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Divers ]

#129819 - 12/09/01 11:05 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Les Johnson Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington, King Coun...
Okuma or Tioga both make reels perfectly suited to steelhead and coho.
As for a line, I've used home-spliced Multi-Tip lines for several years. Now Cortland, SA and others have out-of-the-box clones of our Pacific Northwest lines and they are also good. With the mulit-tip lines you have tips that float, sink slowly (clear intermediate), sink fast, and sink very fast. You can cover most fishing situations with one of these lines. I have used both the Cortland and SA offerings. The Cortland gets my vote due to a better loop-to-loop system. However, SA may soon catch up on that issue. Air Flo, Rio and Cabela's also make similar lines. Multi-tips are perfect for our west coast fishing needs.

Les Johnson

#129820 - 12/09/01 12:39 PM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
swingin saly Offline
Egg

Loc: Marysville
Eggs Guy- Before you buy a reel check out the Orvis Battenkill Disc Reels, they are of good quality and affordable for under $100. The drag system on these reels are amazing! As far a lines, don't buy a manufactured multi-tip system from Rio, or cortland, they are *hit! Sorry Les, but the floating tip for these lines suck! Very ineffective. Plus you can check out other lines which out perform the manufactured lines. I have built my own lines for my 9'9" Gl3 8 wt. This line allows you the capability to shoot and spey cast a single handed rod. It is essentially a load and shoot line. The GL3 is a great rod of choice. If your shopping around, go check out the air flo and the rio lines, try casting them, make sure to cast the floating tip, and then put your wallet back into your pocket, because it is poor contrary to what many think. Email me if you care for more info on lines.

Thanks and best of luck!

#129821 - 12/09/01 12:46 PM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
EggsGuy, I am a Fly Fishin Freak and i have yet to have to bow down to the outrageous prices stamped onto the word Flyfishing. I'm not shooting the moneymakers down but come on, 150-600 for a "good" fly reel?!$200-$1000 for a rod?! My whole fishing setup from my waders to my hat is under$350 I went to 3 fly shops to buy a reel an not one reel was under $180. It's the same as the "marine" or "medical" label on equipment. If it can hold 200yds of 20lb dacron and a full sling of 8 and has open rim styling, then what else do you need? Is a fluid or CT drag really necessary? I know, it's alot different for guides and there clients, they pay good money to fish with the best. You may consider other gear you'll need for what you will pay for a high end reel. It doesn't always take $1000 to catch fish. True?

#129822 - 12/09/01 03:16 PM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
EggsGuy,
Everyone has a favorite line and I think a lot of it will depend on your rod and casting style.
You say you are new to flyfishing?
When I got into fly fishing I had everyone in Gods name give me advice on what to use and what to buy. I think you have the right rod for the type of fishing you are going to do. If you have never casted a 8WT before, I know from my own experience I can tell you what I would stay away from. I don't think the cost of a line is the basis for the choice, youhave to realize that fly lines are not like mono, if you take care of it you will have it for years.
Now to the lines, I think that Cortland 444SL and the SA mastery series floating lines are the easiest lines to cast not to mention they will get you distance. They float high and it is a cinch to mend. For the Sinking lines, I would go with SA mastery wet tip express, or the Cortland 444SL QD ( salmon/ Steelhead )taper.
The reason I dont like the multi tip lines are that they seem to hinge at the loops. I have noticed this in both the SA and the Cortland, I think in my opinion you are better off getting a floater and a sinker. Teeny lines are ok but over rated in my opinion. Cabela's has there Prestige lines, which I started with has a nice slick coating and it floated nicely, not a bad line to have , since they are on sale at a such low price.
It is nice to have a good rod and reel but it will do you no good if you can't cast with it, spend a little and get a quality line the first time. There are many Fly shops around Seattle and the surrounding areas that will let you try the lines at their shop before you buy it. take the time and try the lines with your rod, you will have a better feel for it then relying on my opinion or any body else. Good luck.

#129823 - 12/10/01 12:57 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
nikkomutt Offline
Fry

Loc: Oregon
STH makes a good reel for 70 bucks its a cassette with spare or you can get the cayuga series starting at 99. as far as lines get a sink tip type 3or4 6 if your fishing deeper and faster water...i use cortland 444SL.
Yesterday I hooked 18 and land 13 Steelies and that line accompanied with a 8wt 9' cert pro Lami
one of with was about 17#'s
Unfortunartly my rod broke as i was about to land the last fish of the day. frown

#129824 - 12/10/01 10:49 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Another option not mentioned here is FLYLOGIC reels. They make a reel that is right at 100 dollars that is great for the price. I also have to differ on the RIO VERSI-TIP lines. I have a set and have had nothing but great performance. I have used that line on my last two trips to zipper lip central and have been able to cover all situations encountered with ease.

#129825 - 12/10/01 11:01 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Forgot to address your rod question. A GL3 in 9.9 for 8wt is a fine stick for the fishing you mention. I have found that the older/ slower rods perform a lot better with any type of sink tip line that you might use than the latest high speed tapers offered by Sage, Loomis etc. The new rods can throw a floating line like no tommorrow but are to fast for the sink tips. My standard old trusty 9.6 Powell 8-9 wt Coho always winds up in my hands when its serious steelhead time. Its an older rod with the IM6 graphite blank.

#129826 - 12/10/01 11:49 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I have to partially disagree with Yancy on the multi-tip line question. While a standard weightforward floater IS nicer to cast, than the floater section of the multi-tip line, it isn't, in my opinion, nicer enough to warrant carrying the four separate lines and spools that one would need to replace the multi-tip line. The Multi-tips are much easier to carry if you think you might be facing varying conditions.

Now, if you know that one specific line is going to work, well, then by all means load that line up. And carrying separate lines on separate spools is certainly an option. But I think the original poster is concerned about cost of the overall outfit, and the multi-tip line is going to be a much lower cost option.

I have three of the Rio multi-tips, on a 6 and 8 wgt, and a 8 wgt spey, and have no complaints. The rods have hoisted in some beefy fish with no line failures, and the lines cast well. The only use I wouldn't recommend for them is stillwater, where a full sink line is going to work better.

#129827 - 12/10/01 12:07 PM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Loomis Adventure reel, the largest model (7) holds an 8-wt. line and more than enough 20-lb. backing for steelhead fishing. The reel is made by Shimano and has a drag based on that of one of their baitcasting reels. $100.00

#129828 - 12/10/01 12:14 PM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
The rod you have will be a sweet rod for steelheading. For a reel I would go with the Teton Tioga or a Ross Cimarron. Both reels are really nice and have a lifetime warranty. For a line I would go with a Scientific Anglers Air Cell. An old time steelheader told me this was a good line for steelhead because it has a short and heavy taper on the front of the line. I trusted him and it turned out to be a really nice line for steelhead. The best part about the line is it was $25. You can make your own sink tips or buy one at a local fly shop. The guy here in Port Angeles was selling sink tips for $3-$5. If you do that get one that is 6' and one that is 12'. This will let you fish all kinds of water conditions and you only have about $35 invested in your line. This is what I use and it is a good setup. But if you feel the need, you can spend $120 for a Rio wink .

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#129829 - 12/10/01 04:47 PM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
Just recieved a Cabelas CLA LA 9/10...on sale online at the Cabela's Bargain Cave for $69 (reg 140). Ordered it for my neighbor who is just taking up fly fishing for steelies. It looks every bit the reel as my Teton Tioga...the drag is substantially beefier. Check the auctions on virtual flyshop, and flyfish.com for good used stuff.

Just keep it simple as possible. Multi tip lines (I have RIO) are great except the loops tend to hang up in the tip in short range situations. Ross, Cimmaron, Tioga, Redington AL or AS, and Fly LOGIC FLO (a bit pricier) are all servicable reels. I've always wanted an Islander or Pate but then I start thinking "Why", I've got all I need for everything I fish...no use to spend big bucks on big name fly gear.

I've had horrible luck with the STH Cassete series. Jake Jordan gave me one in the early nineties. I would have asked for my money back if I had paid for it. It's been back to the factory a half dozen times before I said hell with it and bought a good old used Hardy Marquis for trout...damn simple reels and very realiable.

#129830 - 12/10/01 05:34 PM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Isn't it neat where you can go broke buying something to fish with. I usually only buy what My wallet can afford. I plan to fish this winter with a plain old 7wt. And with my luck I won't have to worry about what I catch. My set up is a 9' Lamiglas with a old Sage reel. Jim S. cool

#129831 - 12/10/01 06:49 PM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

Well guys I think that I have narrowed it down to 5 reels that will work, I have really been eying the redington GD series Redington Reels . It looks like a good reel and the price is right.
Please tell me if its any good thanks.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: EggsGuy ]

#129832 - 12/11/01 12:34 AM Re: Fly Reel/Line Q's
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Redington makes a fine reel, by all reports. If you want to get more details, go to www.virtualflyshop.com, go to the bulletin board, and search the archives for redington. Their Northwest BB is also a good source of information on flyfishing around here, especially useful if you're trying to figure out the steelhead fly thang.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |