LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131594 - 12/24/01 07:35 AM Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I'm not about to buy one of these - for now anyway. I just have not read much feedback about the new super duper Lami Titanium aided steelhead rods, costing over $400 I think. Has anyone used one of these pricy things? If so, have you also had experience with the Loomy IMX's, or the GL3's, to make a valid comparison rating of these aledged top gun rods? Inquiring minds want to know. smile And what models of these are the go to rods for winter steelhead? Thanks.

I also heard that Sage rods have gone back to making casting and spinning rods for steelhead and salmon after years of focus on top notch flyrods. Can anyone confirm that? And how do those compare to those other top guns? ... Are there any other rods out there that will perform truely as well as these expensive rods?

RT

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#131595 - 12/24/01 09:09 AM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
Yeah, I've used the new Lamiglas Titanium rods. They're a damn good rod and are ultra sensitive. I think that they're definately top of the line, but I dont know that I'd pay $400.00 pus for one of them. Yes, they're more sensitive than a GL3.

#131596 - 12/24/01 12:27 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I know that Sage is making Spining rods again.
Not sure about the baitcasters.
I know that you can contact many rod makers and they can make baitcaster a from the older sage blanks. I have one that TH custom rods made and it is a nice rod.

#131597 - 12/24/01 12:54 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
RT Something that I have learned over the last year is that the materials that go into a rod are not what makes it a good rod. There was in the 1990's a trend in fly rods to make light thin fast rods. The only problem was that the way they accomplished that was to use high modulus graphite and thin walled tubes. Although attractive they are very brittle and breaking rods became more and more of a problem. But flyfishermen being the way they are it was hard to get them away from that concept after all older graphite must not be as good right??? Wrong!
I know one of the guys at lamiglass and he brought me up one day to cast some of the titanium rods. The 9ft 5wt I spent a weekend with on the Deschutes during the salmonfly hatch. They are ok rods nothing I'd pay 400 dollars for. I think there are rods out there that are just as good for the same or less money. Although I don't like their action at all I think the Loomis gl3's are the best value single handed rod out there.
I'll tell you one thing though RT very little can be told about a rod by it's price. There are some really crappy rods out there that cost as much as 600+ dollars. and there are dome fairly decent rods under 200 dollars and even some acceptable rods under 100 dollars.
I am to the point where nothing but the best will do for me. The rods that I buy retail for 550-750 dollars. My profession allows me the opportunity to get thoes rods at a greatly reduced price, but there are no better rods on the planet. The are better not because of the materials that go into it but because of design!! Design is everything! EVERYTHING!

#131598 - 12/24/01 03:36 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've heard that Sage's drift and spinning rod blanks aren't all that good and of course you pay a premium price. I've owned a Loomis IMX 1082C and returned it. It didn't have the backbone I thought it should have and at $348 I wanted a rod that I felt good about. I have a GL3 1143 drift rod and I think it's the best drift rod I've ever owned but at $290 it's an expensive rod.Even though I like the rod alot I would not pay that much for a rod again. I have 5 of the TH Custom rods and for my money they are the best thing going. I don't think anyone needs to spend $300 for a rod anymore but that's just my opinion.

#131599 - 12/24/01 05:08 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
dawhunt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washougal
I have a Loomis IMX ST1025 8-17lb,its Ok,BUT I bought a Lamiglass Titanium rod for a retirement gift to myself and will never use the loomis again,it very sensative I love it.So if anyone out there would like a hardly used Loomis IMX use it only twice before I tore up my ankle,I'll make you a good deal on it.
Bob laugh

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

#131600 - 12/24/01 05:36 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I've always wanted to try one of those Ti Lami rods. Does any one know if they are lighter than their counterparts? That would be the only real advantage in my books. My wrist/arm/shoulder start to hurt after a full day of chucking bait with a 9.5' and floats with a 10.5' rod all day long. Would be nicer if they were a few ounces lighter.

Man, after using those rods all day long, my original 8.5' baitcaster looks and feels like a little bass flippin' stick! wink

#131601 - 12/24/01 06:18 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
DOH!! RT i thought you were just taling about fly rods shocked )

#131602 - 12/24/01 07:15 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

no matter how much a fishin pole costs if it dont feel right when your fishing with it its a waste of money, just like a hunting rifle, it has to fit you or you will never feel confident with it. just my 2 cents worth.

#131603 - 12/25/01 01:30 AM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Fish'n Magician Offline
Parr

Loc: Hillsboro Oregon
Best Steelhead drift rod ever made period............STR1084C built in IMX. I have tried almost every high end rod on the market and I will probably never use any other,until they make a new improved model. I have STR1082's and they are awesome rods too, just a little light for winter flows, I use them for summers. Also if you are paying 400.00 for a rod you are paying twice as much as you need to. I tried the titanium and it is ok, definately not a IMX loomis. I would say GL3 at best, not nearly as fast and not as responsive on the hookset. I have found the rod,reel,line combo to know I will hook a fish when I get bit.....no wondering was that a fish or something else......????????? Gotta have that confidence, or you will never be better than that 90% pool of the average blow steelhead fishermen. My humble opinion.......

rolleyes rolleyes
john

#131604 - 12/25/01 03:11 AM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I've fished alot of Loomises and a few Lamis and by far the greatest steelhead rod ever built was the 1025 IMX. Some may prefer the lighter tip of the 1084 for casting lighter leads in the summer but the 1025 handles more lead and bigger fish better and if Loomis ever decides to stop producing the 1025 IMX, I can guarentee you I'll buy 4 or 5.

I've fished the 1025 GL3 and it is an excellent rod as well. I believe it is a better all around rod if you are planning on fishing kings and chums or using it off a downrigger as it is more durable but not as sensitive.

There is nothing as sensitive as an IMX on the market. And no one can argue with that!!

Now if only Loomis would make a 1143 as an IMX and I would be all set!!

On a side not, I fish a 1141C (not S, I hate spinning reels) that I absolutely love!! Its the GL3 and for summer use and small stream winter steelheading such as streams with lots of slackish holding water where just a hangnails worth of lead is needed, it is awesome. I've been surprised at how quickly I can land a fish with it but I also love how it can toss the smallest, tiniest amount of lead a mile with a levelwind and how well it defines the bottom when using such small amounts of lead.

And a note on the Sage's, I've never fished 'em but I have done the ceiling test with the Graphite III's that are custom built and they are as sensitive as a GL3.

My convaluted two cents!! smile

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#131605 - 12/25/01 05:48 AM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is very interesting reading. Particularly John and Ryan's posts, because they put the common huge premium on having the ultimate in fishing rod sensativity. And I do not oppose that concept. I just don't regard it as the 'silver bullet' panacea in steelhead drift fishing that some think it is (given that it is among anglers who know how to catch steelies, and we aren't comparing the top graphites to the $29 fiberglass rods).

I would say to you John, that you can put a $79 Berkley Buzz Ramsey IM7 in my hands and I will remain well above "that 90% pool of the average blow steelhead fishermen" in driftfishing catch rates. Put a $180 dollar rod such as a Lami Esprit, GL2, All Star Elite, TH Custom built Rainshadow, etc. in my hands and I will catch as many fish as I would with rods costing twice as much. That's my opinion; but I could be wrong. I think it would take months of side by side comparison, switching back and forth on each cast with identical gear/bait to determine if I am right or not. I have one GL3 8-12 lb. casting rod for steelies and one Sage 10-20 lb. casting rod for chinook river fishing, and I can detect a very slight bit more sensativity. But I can detect a fish bite just as well with those rods costing half as much. ...

But that is why I put up this re-visit of the debate again. Am I wrong? Should I get a couple of $400 rods and cringe at the thought of the first tiny scratch on it - or keep spending between $100 to $200 and think I am catching just as many fish, while saving money and not sweating the scrathces? Tough decision for a lot of serious fishermen! ...

The interesting thing for me, and other golfers, is I don't even flinch at spending $400 on the latest titanium golf drivers; trying to 'buy' a better tee shot. rolleyes I've averaged about 1 per year the last few years. Late this summer I bought the newest Callaway Hawkeye VFT (variable face thickness) super driver for a little draw bias and 10 more yards. I think this is as questionable as buying the mega buck rods; except I get proven measurable improvement, and only need one driver - unlike several rods. It is almost a sickness, because recently I'm not hitting it as well and I found a new one I'm looking at again; partly because my teenage son loves my VFT and is lobbying to get it and me get the new 'secret' fade correcting driver. Geeez rolleyes . Is it like this for rods with some of you guys? I know it is with a few other golfers for drivers.

BTW, I did find out that the Lami Ti will hit a bobber 15 ft. further than a GL3 - but won't cast it any further. smile

RT

#131606 - 12/25/01 05:54 AM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
dawhunt,

I have a STR1025C IMX which my wife bought me long time ago and I really like it. I wouldn't mind buying a spinning version of it. Is yours spinning or casting? Also do you know the difference between ST and STR. You mentioned yours is ST.

Thanks

#131607 - 12/25/01 05:59 AM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
RT,
What are you doing up so late? Are you moderating me? Its only us. Lets talk bad behind everyone. eek We have till morning before they find out. Its way beyond my bed time. Good night.

I have to add this before I sleep. Good point RT. For example a $6000 Rolex will tell time as good as a $25 Timex so why buy one? I think part of it is that we are trained to spend whatever we make. Saving is for ants.

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: UltimateFeashKacher ]

#131608 - 12/25/01 12:12 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Fish'n Magician Offline
Parr

Loc: Hillsboro Oregon
Steve~ put a broomstick in your hand and you will wack 'm eek eek !!!!!!! I should clarify what I mean about spending too much.......I am a person who never pays full price for anything, I have made connections in almost every area of interest to me and to say the least it pays to know the right people. I am a loomis snob and the only reason I have so many rods is because I get good deals and an awesome wife wink wink If you are worried about scratching your gear you might want to get serious about another hobbie......like quilting or something. I "use" my gear hard and never worry about them, They all carry a lifetime warranty. Steve I am off for the next two weeks and want to do some traveling up North, If you are interested in fishing a day or so let me know. I have the golf quote for you:
"For most amateurs, the best wood in the bag is the pencil." -- Chi Chi Rodriguez

#131609 - 12/26/01 09:59 AM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Les Johnson Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington, King Coun...
I have used Lamiglas rods for years. I began using them (both drift and fly rods) because the price was right. I have continued using them because they cast well and cover the gamut of my needs. My experience includes trout and steelhead fishing in Washington to dorado fishing in Baja. In every case I've had excellent performance from Lamiglas rods.
I have the Lamiglas Titanium models in 5-7 weights and they are lightweight and very quick loaders that develop a lot of line speed with a minimum of back casting.
I am addressing Lamiglas because most of my experience has been with Lamiglas. In my opinion, speaking in general, most of the rods offered by respected manufacturers -- including the titanium enchanced models -- probably have a lot more and better inherent casting properties than most of us will ever be able to bring out of them. As for dropping $400+ on a fly rod there are a lot of good rods on the market for a helluva lot less money that will provide good service.

Les Johnson

#131610 - 12/26/01 06:49 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
RT you are right on the money. It's not the rod, it's the man holding it.

I think I will get me another one of those Browning rods and spend the left over $310 on beer. wink

GutZ

#131611 - 12/26/01 07:20 PM Re: Lamiglass' Titanium aided rods vs GLoomis IMX's vs GL3's -- and Sage?
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
I fish mostly Loomis rods. I think over the last 5 years or so there has been a lot of improvment in the economy rods such as the Buzz Ramsey rods and the North river rods. In my opinion a good fisherman will catch fish with whatever you hand him/her. Where the the diference is made is the weight of the rod, I remember years ago I used to fish with an old Kunnan and caught a lot of fish with it, then bought my first loomis IM6. Was amazaed at how much lighter and more comfortable it was to fish with. you can get good deals on Loomis or Lami's whatever yor preference is you just have to look. I bulid all my own and have no real problem finding either discontinued Loomis blanks such as IM6 or whatever I want. Or finding someone who has conections to get me what I want for a decent price. I have no use for a $400 drift rod because I dont think it is going to make that big a diference. I can get just as light for between $100 and $200. That way I can get two smile

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Firedog ]

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 838 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |