THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132590 - 12/25/01 11:05 AM Getting along.
drift boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
I do not now if I should even post this but o-well here go's. I have more than enough times on all bb heard of sleds and drift boats having trouble with each other. People get on here and say how the other person was a jerk and should not be on the water. I have just spent three days on the river in which everyone help the other by not going over there lines . The sleds even went behind the drift boats and not at full speed I must say. Just mabe people are starting to put two and two togeather. eek eek

#132591 - 12/25/01 01:48 PM Re: Getting along.
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Hey driftboat, have noticed the same thing the last few weeks out. Everyone has been courteous not only in the way the fish but also conversation. It has been great. Good fishing to all.

Doubletake

#132592 - 12/26/01 06:32 AM Re: Getting along.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for sharing that guys. It's good to hear that for a change! And this is occuring during stressful times of Osama and economic recession. Perhaps it due to both good fish runs and the power of the internet BB discussions to improve river demeanor out there?

#132593 - 12/28/01 12:53 PM Re: Getting along.
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by RT:
Perhaps it due to both good fish runs and the power of the internet BB discussions to improve river demeanor out there?

...and also maybe because it is the holiday season and people are just generally being nicer to each other during this time.

Maybe the sleds and driftboats are getting along, but the bankfisherman and the driftboats sure aren't! I myself fished the Kalama River last week (along with a few other guys that were in this spot) and had a heck of a time with driftboaters. I'm not saying they're all disrespectful, but it was surprising how many were. I was bank fishing as I always do, when a driftboat came downriver and anchored right above me. Okay, not a real big deal-yet. They then fished there for about an hour. Still no big deal. Then they pulled anchor and drifted across to the other side of the small river and proceeded to drop anchor and fish directly across from me casting right towards me. Still I neither said nor did anything and neither did any of the other bankies. Finally they drifted down below me and started pulling plugs I guess. The thing is this same scenario (or a very similar one) happend over and over again, all day long with at least 6 more boats! I never said anything or did anything, cause I'm just not that kind of person, but it really did tick me off that these boats had the whole river to float and felt the need to anchor and fish right in the hole a few of us bankies were fishing. I will say, however that about 2 or 3 driftboats floated right past us on the other side of the river, without anchoring or impeding our casting. Thank you to those boats-who I believe might have been guides? This is not a b*tch/wine post, just wanted to share my story and vent a little. Don't respond unless you feel the need to. Take care everybody. smile

#132594 - 12/28/01 01:17 PM Re: Getting along.
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
A friend was fishing off the bank on the Sky last week one early morning in a spot that had been producing steelies consistantly.A sled came boondogin' through a little too close he felt,but he did not say anything and kept fishing.Soon the sled comes motoring back up and he decides enough is enough and gets ready to cast one over the bow to send a message.Sled comes right up below where he is fishing and Dude says "your in our spot.......so why don't you hop in and we can all fish it ",Short story is they all ended up with there limit,and shared a shot of whiskey to warm up with and had a good day of fishing.

A classic example of how to get along. smile smile

#132595 - 12/28/01 11:04 PM Re: Getting along.
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
too bad that this is not even CLOSE to reality at Blue Creek!! eek Drifted it today, what a madhouse. Don't plan on going back there anytime soon mad

#132596 - 12/28/01 11:25 PM Re: Getting along.
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I always try to show river courteousness, and let others know when they're not so courteous. There's getting to be so many people out there anymore that you pretty much have too.
Keith laugh

#132597 - 12/28/01 11:46 PM Re: Getting along.
Lifeisgreat Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish
Drift Boat sets the example with his fishing etiquette. Twice now I have had the pleasure to run into him on the Sky. First time he so kindly helped me with a few instructions on how to fish for Chums, second time he had the hole to himself but invited me right on over to fish next to him and just down stream of him.
This is the kind of this I'm trying to teach my 12yo son to understand. You know people are going to cut you off or fish infont of you, sometimes out of pure stupidy sometimes out of greed, but unless you actually ask them you should consider it stupidy!
You can ask nicely if they know that they cut you off, if they get rude drop the conversation and fish on. I am a firm beliver of what comes around goes around, sometimes we don't get the results, be happy with yourself your really the only one you have to impress! cool

#132598 - 12/29/01 07:13 PM Re: Getting along.
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's good to hear more of these 'get along properly' stories. We always hear the negative ones, but not always the good ones. I have spent a lot of time on the water and still see more proper behavior than improper behavior. However, as the river population keeps increasing so will the challenge of getting along well. Keep educating by good example out there; and communicating what's proper eiquette to those in need any way you can - on the interent BBs, polite suggestions to guys out on the river, and letters to media sources such as fishing magazines.

KB, in your example of the driftboats not respecting you and some other bank fishers is a common one. The boaters need to give bankies that were there first better consideration. However, if it's a crowded day (usually Fri, Sat, Sun) then what you have assumed is likely not true - that drift boaters have the whole river to fish. They more often than not struggle to find holes that bankies aren't alread in. When it's like that they should politely ask the bankies if they can fish the hole with them for a short stint before moving along, rather than just start casting into the same place. ... Crowding is our biggest challenge as sportfishers; closely seconded by helping to enhance runs rather than deplete them.

RT

#132599 - 12/29/01 09:18 PM Re: Getting along.
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
fish4steel, never I repeat never fish BC between Christmas and New Years. Made the mistake of doing it a few years ago and came to the same conclusion as you did.......................what a madhouse!

FJ...out.

#132600 - 12/30/01 03:30 AM Re: Getting along.
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
this is just a little off the subject but, i just have one question. why are people most of the time d*cks to people my age. it makes me soooo mad mad . everytime im out on the river at least one person ends up being very rude. and also at tackle shops, when i try to have a friendly conversation they just dont say anything back. i wont mention any names but theres one guy in monroe that i cant stand. mad its like why do you have to be such an a--hole your not at work, your not watching little kids, YOUR ON THE RIVER! doing something that most people on the river at this time of year love to do. so you dont catch a fish, or i catch one before you. you dont have to get pissed about it.
tyler

just letting off some steam.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Tyler Celli ]

#132601 - 12/31/01 12:35 AM Re: Getting along.
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Hey Tyler, it's because our age group is stereotyped. We are the 'punks'. Born in the mid-late 70's, early 80's, etc. We rip it up, break stuff, and are sinners, according to the older folks like RT. He knows the Reel Truth about that, though. wink

#132602 - 12/31/01 02:09 AM Re: Getting along.
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

hey krome how old are ya?
tyler

#132603 - 12/31/01 02:40 AM Re: Getting along.
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Yeah dudes...go back to skateboarding!!!! wink

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#132604 - 12/31/01 04:59 AM Re: Getting along.
bentpole Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Tyler and KB
Don't let being labeled get ya down I will share stories with you over time of how I have shot down even the wisest of "adults" who think a certain way.
I too am in your age bracket and to many times i've been frowned upon but as soon as i speak people soon figure it out that it's not an age problem but a respect in general that lacks in our society. By the way got my first brat today but not without injury to me (that's not uncommon though).

#132605 - 12/31/01 05:05 PM Re: Getting along.
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your children. laugh

We are not permitted to choose the frame of our destiny. But what we put into it is ours.

Keep the chin up, guys. It's a slow-go at first, but if you keep at it, pay attention, and show responsibility for the resource, you'd be surprised by the people who are terribly friendly, but put on an asshole front at first. wink

Each guy you come into contact with, give him a clean slate. That's what you'd expect from a stranger who doesn't know you, right? I try to help out when I can to whomever I can, but zipper stuff is confidential. Who knows, you may have the same scenario: I've met many guys and gals off the boards and fished with some of them. Many of them I consider friends now, good friends even. You'd be surprised by the doors and windows that open up for you if you keep yourself approachable and most importantly, LEARN when taught, even if a lesson wasn't particularly directed at you. cool

Most importantly, give back what you take when you can. Good men will treat you like good men, and good women (yeah right :p ) will treat you....
wink

Make it down this way or need any help, get in touch with me and I will try to help the best that I can or I can help point you in the right direction.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#132606 - 01/03/02 08:22 PM Re: Getting along.
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Hey thanks bentpole and Y'all. wink BTW Y'all, never thought you were such a soft, mushy kinda guy. eek confused

#132607 - 01/03/02 11:05 PM Re: Getting along.
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Tyler, I know what you mean about the "guy in monroe." He doesnt go out of his way to talk to anybody let alone us "kids." Ive been corked so many times on the SKy by boondoggers throwing over my line just because they felt they could get away with it by me being younger than them. There's nothing better than taking the "been there, done that" older guys to school some times. But most of the time the old man of the river wins...lol

Hey, we should have a fish off between the younger guys (born mid 70's-mid 80's) and the older guys on the board????
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#132608 - 01/03/02 11:15 PM Re: Getting along.
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

i'm down for the fish off. hey thanks for all the replies guys. laugh
tyler
p.s. i dont skate...ANYMORE

#132609 - 01/04/02 12:48 PM Re: Getting along.
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Hey Bankwalker,

Would your name be Cameron by any chance? If so, do you remember exchanging e-mails about 3 or 4 years ago about that small river you now like to fish? I just might be the 'older' (well not really that old!) guy that told you about it. smile

p.s. Yeah, it has been WAY too crowded last couple of years. frown

#132610 - 01/04/02 04:23 PM Re: Getting along.
Land Tuna Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kirkland Wa USA
Hey Ryan,
Sounds like your feeling old at 21. Why don't you do the responsible thing and recruit these young fishermen to join the WSC. We need some new young blood to keep things going well. They would be welcome by all. By the way I take it you are now too old to skateboard?

#132611 - 01/04/02 04:41 PM Re: Getting along.
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
I have to be nice or I get into trouble. Besides, it's cheaper than dating... eek eek If I plan on being president one day, I might as well start kissing ass and start taking donations now. wink laugh Although, I could settle for being a senator. Those guys never seem to get into trouble.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#132612 - 01/05/02 12:09 AM Re: Getting along.
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Yeah, thats me 4Salt. For the life of me i cant remember exchanging emails?? It has been crowded as far as that river goes, but there has been fish. I always got zipperlip #2 as a fall back...
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#132613 - 01/05/02 12:32 AM Re: Getting along.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I treat everyone with the same respect, young or old, male or female, unless I'm given cause to do differently....then ...well you all know by now. You young guys are the future and I encourage you to be active in this board and in the realm of issues regarding yours(ours) sporting/resource interests. Don't take any crap but also show respect for those who've been at it a while. I learned when young to invite some of the old timers to fish next to me when I'd beaten them to "the spot." Sharing the water with them gained me way more than I gave.

Gooose laugh

#132614 - 01/05/02 12:33 AM Re: Getting along.
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Whats the WSC
tyler
P.S. i always invite people to fish with me i love to talk fishin with other people.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Tyler Celli ]

#132615 - 01/05/02 07:55 PM Re: Getting along.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tyler,

The WSC stands for Wild Steelhead Coalition. They are a good organization of anglers dedicated to the protection of wild native steelhead stocks. They helped spark the new C&R state wide regs. Site owner here Bob Ball was instrumental in these efforts. And there is a link to the WSC on this site.

RT

#132616 - 01/07/02 02:24 AM Re: Getting along.
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
For all you young punks, join the WSC to help preserve our wild steelhead for the future. This group has done an excellent job and would love to have some younger folks as members...$15 for a student membership.

Steve-
I was never cool enough to skate. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, steely slammer), 1505 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |