LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132916 - 12/30/01 10:59 PM Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Now that we are at the end of the year I looked at the prices of the fishing license and tags and nearly fell over. For a resident license they want $19.75 and for the tags another $16.50! For the mathematically challenged that is $36.25. For only $7 more I can get a non-resident freshwater license (no tags necessary) in Washington.

What is Oregon doing? Are they trying to ship their anglers across the border? These prices are out of control. mad

#132917 - 12/30/01 11:15 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
To get a license to cover everything in Washington it is $41.42. An out of state license to cover everything runs around $80.

#132918 - 12/30/01 11:17 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
It works out to about $3.00 a month. Seems reasonable to me.

#132919 - 12/30/01 11:32 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Straydog Offline
Parr

Loc: Grants Pass, Or.
If I am not mistaken, it is the same as last year.
Still pretty darned cheap entertainment relative to say a night out of dinner and a movie.

#132920 - 12/30/01 11:40 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Does the price really matter laugh The lure will always be to great to resist at any price!

FJ...out.

#132921 - 12/31/01 01:11 AM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Well if the cost keeps going up maybe it will thin the crowds smile J/k. By the end of the year with what I have in tags and deer and elk tags it runs on up there but it is a choice we all make. No one is making us fish or hunt. Like Spooled said it isnt that much when you look at as a monthly rate. I buy a Wash. and OR one anyway. It is all relevent.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Firedog ]

#132922 - 12/31/01 01:40 AM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
River Rat Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa. Perice
I was out picking up some tackle today and was told by the store owner to get next years now the talk is that the cost is going to double soon

#132923 - 12/31/01 01:48 AM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Ridgefield, WA
The State of Wash. found out a few years ago that there is a limit to what people were willing to spend on a license. Sales fell way off until they rethought the process. They brought the cost of a license in line to what the masses where willing to pay. Now you can get a full freshwater license with all the tags for under $25 with the new surcharges.

I just got my out of state or. license at a cost of $65. Every few years the cost goes up. At some point the loss of sales cost those buying license more and more anglers will opt not to buy thus causing increased rates. It is a vicious cycle.

Since I fish, I pay the price, but at some point the State will have to wake up and realize they are pricing themselves out of business. Washington learned that. How long will it take Oregon???

Giz...

smile

#132924 - 12/31/01 11:46 AM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
The $43.80 that I posted for an out of state Washington license is for freshwater only, which I believe is what most Oregonians would be using anyway due to the distance from Oregon to Washington saltwater fishing opportunities.

2001 was my first year of salmon/steelhead fishing in many years and I didn't buy my license and tags at the same time, so that would explain why I felt a bit of sticker shock this year as I looked to buying them combined.

Ah well, pass the bullet and some seasoning salt.

#132925 - 12/31/01 12:12 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Take a look at non-resident guide licenses. They discriminate depending on where you come from. A Washington steelhead guide has to pay 600 bucks (a few years ago) but a Utah guide only had to pay like 200. I think there is some ongoing animosity between the two state governments.

#132926 - 12/31/01 03:09 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
(FYI) I just got my 2002 out of state it was $65.00 for and tag and angling

#132927 - 12/31/01 07:47 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
CATCH AND EAT Offline
Smolt

Loc: portland
I buy a Washington Salt tag because I fish out of Ilwaco most of the season. Wind River, Lewis, and washougal for the fresh water. It is more expensive to buy the full tilt washington tag shocked

If you don't like the prices dont fish here. (or there). Maybe, just maybe it will kill off some of the doughballs that tend to show up and we all complain about.

It is cheep entertainment when you think about it. Besides, you think nothing about $100 to $600 dollar rods and reels right wink

Don't get so bent out of shape yet. When they reach $100 then complain.

#132928 - 12/31/01 08:48 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
"Beetle Juice,Beetle Juice, BeetleJuice!! confused

When will you guys ever understand what bureaucrats, and their systems are all about? confused

Each year, more and more money! Each year, less and less product! When will you ever learn? Does the word "resession" ring a bell to any of you? laugh laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: cowlitzfisherman ]

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#132929 - 12/31/01 09:09 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
mt. mike Offline
Parr

Loc: florence mt
Can I whine too? I live in Mt.
Season Licence in Idaho 86
Gas and Beer 500
Catching Steelhead Priceless
Fishing used to be a poor mans sport and thank god my dad was poor. If I didn't get to fish I'd be a poor man too.

#132930 - 12/31/01 10:06 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Cascade Bob Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA. U.S.A.
For those of you from out of state, our WA. 2 day licence which covers everything you want to "Fish" for or dig for or crab for is only $8.00 . How can you beat that? Good Fishin` Happy New Year 2002.

#132931 - 12/31/01 10:31 PM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Winnemucca Nv
Hmmm. Let me see. I pay about $45 for a combo here in Nev. In 10 years here i have caught a grand total of zero steelhead here. Same number for salmon too. We have pulled a few macks from the depths of Tahoe and let me tell you what a fight.... I think a dogfish is more fun to catch maybe not as tastey but more fun. I have tried eating the trout here smoked, marinated, steamed, baked, and nail to a sugarpine board. None are palatable. They taste like a mixture of moss and mud. When I just have to have a fishfix I drive the 6-700 miles and am happy to pay my fees for the chance to fish in the beautiful northwest.

On the plus side for Nevada I do have some rather spectacular chukar hunting,if you like getting laughed at by your quarry as you lay on the hill suffering a coronary. then this could be heaven for you.

What a great country we live in where we have the opportunity to fish and hunt like we do.

I fish therefore I am

#132932 - 01/01/02 02:43 AM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
Reel Time Offline
Fry

Loc: Estacada, OR USA
Skiing 1 day at Mt. Hood = $50
Money goes to some rich snobs that own the resort.

Fishing all year anywhere in Oregon = $36.25
Money goes to the state to enhance our fishery.

What's the issue?
What am I missing?

#132933 - 01/04/02 02:27 AM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
BILGERAT Offline
Parr

Loc: TROUTDALE OREGON
Holy Cow that's over a DOLLAR per SALMON.
It costs the state more than a DOLLAR to raise each fish.Woha, you forgot the little things like pers and medical when you looked at the "hatchery" budget.
Salmon TAGS should be at least $ 10 per fish.
If you think you are going to feed your family out of the woods and waters of the Pacific NW you have another thing comming.Reality.You can't buy the fish for that so why should you be allowed to harvest them for less than they are worth ? Perhaps you beleive that the non fishers should pay for your fish ? Your welfare system at work ?

#132934 - 01/04/02 04:13 AM Re: Oregon licensing...what are they smoking?
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Most of the time you would be happy if your bar tab was only $36.25 and what do get for that? A hangover.Like Desertdog and BILGERAT pointed out we are all blessed that we live in great part of this country were the opportunities exist that we have. smile smile

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1058 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |