Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133075 - 01/01/02 12:55 PM Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kelowna British Columbia
Hi It has been said that in BC the centerpin is the reel of choice while in the pacific northwest the baitcaster is king. Actually this is an exaduration.On the Vedder R for example you will see 10 guys fishing baitcasters for every one fisherman that fished the centerpin.
Do centerin reels have an advantage? fourty years ago when I started fishing both types,the centerpin had a freer spool but todays baitcasters have just as free a drift provided the levelwind can be disengaged.
Of course there is the ego factor, he best steelheaders fish centerpins and they used to cost more .Today that isent true,a Shimano Calcutta TE costs as much as a centerpin.
You can get greater distance and better accuracy with a baitcaster.You can get just as much spool control by setting the drag light and using your thumb to give variable drag and you get a much faster retrieve of slack line with the baitcaster.
I have two pairs of these reels; light line and heavy line and I would choose the baitcaster every time. The ego factor doesent apply in my case.
coot

#133076 - 01/02/02 06:25 AM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right on Coot. It's similar to the elistist fly fishers that look down on any fisher who uses other means of fishing. I guess just say "Forgive them, for they not know how utterly cracker minded they are!" laugh

#133077 - 01/02/02 08:22 AM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
I have been looking at centerpins for awhile,trying to see the advantages and disadvantages vs. baitcasters.I fished alongside some centerpins last weekend on a canadian river.
I was able to cast father and,in my opinion,more accurately.The centerpins are WAY cooler looking though.I'm sure there is an enjoyment in having and using a precision made piece of equipment like that.I appreciate the skill it took to build to rods and reels.I guess I have not evolved to that level yet.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Bigdog2250 ]

#133078 - 01/02/02 10:44 AM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hi Bigdog: There is one advantage to the centerpin besides lookin cool;but in my opinion its irrelavant.You can fish a centerpin from your flyrod which means that you can switch from fly to bait very simply.
The cast froma centerpin is very soft,It must be to avoid the worst backlash you have ever had.With such a soft cast you can fish more fragile baits.
But in the final analysis there is no real advantage to the centerpin except its an ego builder. See me! i fish a custom centerpin reel!!
coot

#133079 - 01/02/02 10:54 AM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
I don't know about the ego factor stuff. I have used a few centerpins and like them a lot. Takes a while to figure one out because its a whole different type of fishing, especially casting. I love the direct drive aspect when fighting a fish. I still have some old Shimano Bantums that have a switch where you can change them into direct drive and enjoy that option, don't know why more baitcasters don't have that ability. The thing about the centerpins I used that I didn't like is that you couldn't lock the spool. If you were to use one for mooching and you wanted to have a presentation out in the water and then wanted to put the rod in a pole holder while you ate a sandwhich or something, you couldn't, it would keep on free-spooling. However if your just going to cast all day centerpins are a lot of fun although pricey.

Beezer

#133080 - 01/02/02 03:45 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Coot I agree with your thoughts about long casts and speed of line retreval,I also think there is ego involved when you fish a pin and rightly so it takes lots of river time to master a centerpin.I think that each type of gear has its time and place.Last winter I didn't work and spent week days on washington and BC rivers,I used a centerpin about half the time,at the end of the season about65%of the fish I caught were when using a float and centerpin the best fish battels were on the centerpin. smile smile

#133081 - 01/02/02 05:59 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hi Fishjunkey: Your right about that ;it takes the right conditions and it takes the right rod.
When you are casting to fish you can see or know are in a particular location the centerpin is fine particularly in very slow drifts.
Good float rods are difficult to find. Length is important I find that 11 to 12 foot rods are right for me. A good float rod has a relatively firm tip and a soft butt. My favorite is actually a Talon 14'spey caster shortened to 12 feet by cutting the butt section.
However in fast water retrieving line makes me feel like a French chef trying to whip skim milk into whipped cream with an eggbeater.
coot

#133082 - 01/02/02 06:51 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
For the record RT, there are even more purists out there, greater in purity than that of lowly fly-fishermen. :p

They are called "Cane-pole Fishermen". Only we elistists can go hand pick and chop down our own rod.

It's hilarious to hear how pure fly-fishing is, especially when I'd say the majority of them are "wealthier" than most. Fly fishing gear has to be the most expensive **** I've ever priced.

Give me $2 so I can buy a pack of Vision hooks and couple feet of line. Purity is simplistic.

Let's not confuse purity with wealthy.

However, both are very relaxing to do.

Give me baitcaster or give me death. cool :p

..only joshing with you fly guys so please don't go quoting a river runs through it. I have the DVD.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#133083 - 01/30/02 07:33 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
The floatzman Offline
Egg

Loc: Ontraio, Canada
An old topic of the centre pin versus the baitcaster. I have used both for many years. The centrepin reel was designed originally for the slower waters and course fishing, I have been involoved in the match fishing in the U.K. and this was the reel to use until the spinning reel became the new technology. The baitcasters I used for Atlantic Salmon fishing in England, Scotland Ireland and Wales on the rivers that allowed artificial baits when the water was at a certain height. The rest of the time I used fly, including the Spey rods, which I have many, both in cane and graphite. My opinion having used them all for many years, it is what you makes you feel good when you use it, the thrill of catching a fish and having the ability to land it wether it be on a centre pin reel, baitcaster, fly reel or spinning reel. One last point is the casting of the bait, floats or otherwise when using the float reels as we call them. We have it mastered and can cast as far as most baitcaster users, if you know how to do it. There are two ways, one is to get the reel spinnign first and just zip the float out or the easier way and the way I teach the clients I guide is the cast from the side by holding the line ata right angle to the rod. I fish the Niagara, Salmon river and these are larger river systems and have no difficulty in getting out to the fish. Hope this posting offers another point of view that is usefull.

Robert

#133084 - 01/30/02 07:57 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
beek Offline
Parr

Loc: Langley
Coot,

I have to disagree with you on some points.

1)A Centerpin can cast as far and as accurate as a baitcaster, it all depends on who's tossing. I am not one of these people. laugh

2) There is no way that a baitcaster free spools as well as a 'pin. I fish a Calcutta as well as my Seldex and the Seldex free spools better, no question.

3)An individual that has experience with his 'pin cast cast even in cramped situations, with bush behind him using a 'spin cast', spinning the reel at the same time as tossing the setup. Once again, I am not one of these people that can do this yet.

Some other benefits of 'pins are they last forever, fighting a fish on them is a trip, the zzzzzz they make when the clicker is engaged is the greatest sound in the world.

Baitcasters have their place, but as far as Float rods are concerned I beleive they are lacking. Just as my Yankee friends have adopted floats, one day they will see the light and fish Centerpins.

It has nothing to do with ego...once you fish one you never go back, it makes the fishing more enjoyable.

#133085 - 01/30/02 09:43 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Beek, I have to Agree with you on your 1st point.
I have heard that some of the longest cast made ,including accuracy were done by Centerpin reels, of course the guys who do this have been using them for long time. It is just like 1st time fly fishers and baitcaster, with time you will improve on your distance and accuracy.

#133086 - 01/30/02 10:13 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well Beek I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I know that even after fishing a centerpin for 20 years and a baitcaster for 70 years I can still cast further with my
baitcaster, unless of course I do what the English do and strip cast from the centerpin. I have two custom built new centerpins and neither of them will give me more than 100 foot casts. Not that I need to cast that distance indeed I`m better off fishwise if I keep casting distance down to about 75 feet.
As far as feed from a pin vs a baitcaster,a lot depends on how you adjust your baitcaster. I suggest you make this trial. Set up your baitcaster on your rod with only a 1/2"dink float and a swivel, no added weight allowed, Simply hold the float in the air and put the reel in freespool . The weight of the float should pull line steadily from the reel at a rate of about 10 feet per second. If it doesent your reel is adjusted too tight for good casting or floating.
Try the same with your pin I doubt that it will feed any line at all unless you fake it by starting the spool. If you reel does feed let me know what you are fishing. I dont know a single maker who produces a reel that will do this.
but I`m always ready to learn.

#133087 - 01/30/02 10:17 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hi Beek: Sorry I should have read your post more carefully I now know you fish one of those JWYoung reels which are about the cheapest centerpins on the market I`ll guarantee you wont be able to drop a dink float from that one.

#133088 - 01/31/02 12:21 AM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
What exactly is a centerpin reel? Is it similar to a knuckle buster?

#133089 - 01/31/02 12:51 AM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Rapid Robert Offline
Spawner

Loc: Selah Wa.
JacobF, YES SAME THING, AS ARE FLY REELS.

#133090 - 01/31/02 04:46 AM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
beek Offline
Parr

Loc: Langley
Coot,

Your question was "Do centerin reels have an advantage?"

No need to run any dink float tests.

Like I said,it makes the fishing more enjoyable, and to me thats an advantage.

As for the Seldex, its 49 years old and spins true. Its built exacly like the old Silexes...a poor mans Silex. What two reels do you fish?

#133091 - 01/31/02 12:03 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
The float goes down laugh ,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz goes the reel more fun then SEX. :p :p :p

#133092 - 01/31/02 04:33 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hi Beek: Sorry just kidding you. I have a whole bunch of JW`s mainly fly reels going back to 1926 They are great old reels built for the longhaul.
I still have an aging Silex which needs some rejuvination I plan to send it to Johnb Milner this year for a rebuild.
I got two of John`s centerpins last year a Kingfisher which I use for light line and a Talisman for general use John is doing very good work in Cranbrook and services and repairs most makes.
I picked up a couple of Calcuttas last year and I was amazed at the free spool feed of these reels It puts all of my other baitcasters mainly Abu to shame
At age 80 I do very little deep wading these days. I too by preference would fish a centerpin if it were not for the slow retrieve even when you bat the spool, I have to confess that on longer casts I simply cant get the accuracy I can get with a baitcaster. My fault not the reel:<0)
I was surprised on returning to the Vedder after a 50 year absence to find very few fishing centerpins I think its because of the speed of the current in the upper river.
If I see a guy fishing a seldex and making 150 foot casts I`ll know its you and say hello.
cheers

#133093 - 01/31/02 07:32 PM Re: Centerpin VS Baitcaster reels
The floatzman Offline
Egg

Loc: Ontraio, Canada
How heavy is a 1/2" dink float and what size of swivel is used to do the test. Some of my centre pins are bushings and some are bearings with the rating of 7 which is the highest grade I will ever go.The reels with these bearings installed will free spool for 2minutes and 50 seconds with a single spin. When I get the weights of the test piece I will try it and see what happens, very interesting topic. I use some balsa floats that are only 1" in length and have a tapered body of no more than 3/4" at the top and taper to 1/4", I run with a black ant swivel and maybe 2 to 3 # 4 dinsmore and my reel will free spool. The use of the centre pin reels have many dependances, bearings versus bushings, oil or other types of lubricant, amount of line on spool and wear on the centre pin which can cause drag if the bearings or busings are not perfectly aligned with the centre pin. The bearings have only microns play between the inner and outer race and this makes the alignment of the centre pin in relationship to the backplate critical on any reel with two bearings. These views are mine and are not to be taken as gospal. I have manufactured many centre pin reels in excess of 100 and have learned about pros and cons of the working of the reels. I am working another model and should have the proto type ready for the fall, I move slow.Well thats all I have to say about the subject.
Tight Lines and good centre pin fishing to all

Robert

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Tug 3, stonefish, 1 invisible), 359 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645386 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |