THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135064 - 01/14/02 11:21 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
havnfun2 Offline
Smolt

Loc: puyallup wa
bob the big one has a nice spread on how to make rags in his tips section of his home page, its all laid out nice and clean,go there for help making the rags
ray

#135065 - 01/15/02 01:54 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Parker,Timber man,
That is the biggest thing I remember again about drift fishing.I now have ten times the gear,Hooks,yarn,corkies,swivels scisors,bait,pencil lead,surgical tubing,rags,beads,pink worms,And have not caught a fish in 4 outings!

I am reel close to going back to spoons,swivels,hooks and smelly jelly! smile

#135066 - 01/15/02 02:02 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
HBP ... the take can be anything from a subtle twitch to a grab that almost rips the rod out of your hand. Biggest plus is the yarn that catches in the teeth and doesn't allow the fish to drop as easily which often gives you a slighter advantage in hooking up.

Timber's right, don't wait fotr nates. Allt hose brats I had posted in December before my surgery .. nearly all came on rags.

RipDatLip ... I'd personally go with a slightly shorter piece of foam and make sure you have the yarn at the mid-point of the foam ... closer to the hook should up the odds of the yarn getting tangled in fish's teeth. Also, loose the round bead. It allows the hook to often roll back up and hook the rag itself. Flat star beads or similar that are easily found at craft stores seem to alleviate this tendancy. Other than that, looks good!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#135067 - 01/15/02 03:28 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres

It's not the best pic but the flat bead above the hook will keep your hook from rolling and sticking in your rag..

The nice thing about rags is you can make them any color or length you want.I shorten my backer rod up if just fishing them with scent.If using bait I will keep them around 1" long..TM

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Timber Man ]

#135068 - 01/15/02 04:18 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Hey TM ... same beads we use with ours. Good call!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#135069 - 01/15/02 07:22 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
Tyler

As for running yarn through your backer rod I took a great big paper clip (you could use stout wire) and bent it in a V shape. I then stick it through the backer-slide the yarn through the "V" , push the two ends together and then pull it back through the same hole. Works way fast than threading a piece of line with a needle. I converted all my buddies to the same way! Much more efficient for me ;-).

I always pre-tie a bunch of them and just put them in a llittle plano box for use on the river later!

Todd

#135070 - 01/15/02 08:08 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Bob, et al.

What happens if you don't use the bead? Just curious to know what the bead get's you - does it keep the rag from scrunching down on to the hook, or something else?

I think I was using a small cheater as a bead during the time I whacked those two fish.

#135071 - 01/15/02 09:03 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
Alot of guys use just a small bead and yes, the foam gets scrunched over the hook. I always use a sequin behind the foam to keep it from doing that like TM. I think the star bead shown up above would be fine though--personally I bought enough sequins for .59 that I will never have to test the theory.

I think a small cheater would work though--like I said, sequins are waaaaaaaaay cheap! wink

#135072 - 01/15/02 09:19 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

yep, the beads or whatever you opt to use keep the foam from getting ripped over the hook shank ... it does happen frown

'lil corkies or cheaters will work ... what we call Corey's Special (actually derived from ReiterRat's special smile ) ismade that way.

I've used sequins before and they are just fine in their use, but a pain in the butt to work with when you don't have fingernails, so I prefer the star beads ... you get a 100 or so for 79 cents ... just as cheap as the sequins and I like the translucent color as well smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#135073 - 01/15/02 09:48 PM Re: FISHING RAGS?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
What I like about the star bead besides that they look good laugh Is that they have a small indent that keeps the hook straight..Problem with a cheater is that the rag starts to get away from the hook and will let the hook roll and hook into the rag same with a corkie..I have tried both and seems to me to get hooked in the rag alot..but then again I never tried a dap of glue either laugh HMMMM!! might be onto something there pretied with a dab of glue and a glow corkie or cheater!! Wouldnt have a bait loop then but maybe a strip of prawn! laugh maybe even dyed prawn! TM laugh

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Timber Man ]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 337 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |