THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135240 - 01/15/02 04:14 PM New Forums? Suggestions?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
As some of you may have noticed, I've added a new private forum today for the mods to discuss issues and bugs realting to the forums.

For some time, I've been toying with the idea of adding some new, more specific forums as the main board regulary fills up more than page of active topics daily and some more specific forums may make finding specific discusssions easier to find and may encourage more discussion on specific topics.

One idea is a fly-only board as we're seeing lots more fly-related posts over the past year. I envision a place for fly fishing discussion w/o the elitist attitude versus other angling methods that is often seen elsewhere (it's about having fun isn't it??).

I'd love any feedback on this idea, and perhaps other suggestions that the masses might have for forums that you would or would not like to see.

Thanks!!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#135241 - 01/15/02 04:35 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: kent
I do not know how you could make this site even better!!!!!!!!!!! I do not even mess with any other fish'n sites any more. I think to improve would make it less better. The all in one theme makes it easier tto look at all the posts without clicking to other rooms.... Did I make sense..... argh!!!!!! frown

#135242 - 01/15/02 05:12 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
Bob,
How about a seperate forum for discussing your favorite hook?....j/k.
might be fun to have other titles on your name besides "returning adult" or "smolt"..somethng based on your participation or user number...

#135243 - 01/15/02 05:19 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Thanks Randy ... that'll be available with the next update of the software that should be available at the end of the month. I've seen it in action with the beta versions and it is nice, but we have noticed some ugly bugs in the betas in use and we're waiting for final release before we do that.

Yep, you made sense Paul. Something I've liked too, but also though many fly anglers would be intimidated by posting on a board that is often dominated by gear anglers.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#135244 - 01/15/02 05:19 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I agree with Paul, no change required. Like the old saying says, if it isn't broke don't fix it.

#135245 - 01/15/02 05:49 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I like having everything lumped together myself.It adds a little variety without having to jump around the site.
I came to you guys with my fly fishing questions because I Knew that they would be answered by reel fisherman,not the select few that have the money to jump on the expensive fly fishing bandwagon,But have no idea how a fish thinks and have no plans of learning either.I am afraid that a fly fishing site would end up being these people.
I can see why you would want to break it up though.The bourd is very active and threads get burried pretty quick hence the same threads pop up i.e best hook or drift boat insurance!
You're site is the best and I think has helped alot of people add to there fishing experiences. smile

#135246 - 01/15/02 05:51 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I'm pretty content with the board the way it is but if I were to offer an idea, it would be a pacific northwest hunting forum perhaps?? Even make it seasonal (Fall) if you want. Alot of us hunt birds/big game in addition to the fishing sickness.

I'm not sure it's out of place on a fishing site as fishing and hunting are intertwined anayway. If nothing else, it would be a great way for us to share info. on conservation, season and political issues.

Just an idea

#135247 - 01/15/02 05:53 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
DONT CHANGE IT MAN, DONT CHANGE IT

#135248 - 01/15/02 05:54 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I'm pretty content with the board the way it is but if I were to offer an idea, it would be a pacific northwest hunting forum perhaps?? Even make it seasonal (Fall) if you want. Alot of us hunt birds/big game in addition to the fishing sickness.

I'm not sure it's out of place on a fishing site as fishing and hunting are intertwined anayway. If nothing else, it would be a great way for us to share info. on conservation, season and political issues.

Just an idea

#135249 - 01/15/02 06:57 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Creating more specific forums creates dillution. This is a good thing if your main forum gets so much traffic that a day's worth of postings cannot fit on two pages, but if you dillute when it doesn't need it you end up losing that effective (if only occasionally volatile) mix that makes the site work.

Even Michelangelo had to look at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and decide that it was as good as it was going to get. Don't mess with a working combination, Bob. Just figure out a way to add another day to April. wink

#135250 - 01/15/02 07:01 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
cooter Offline
Parr

Loc: Woodland Washington
I like the site the way it is because it's awesome. However I think that having a separate fly fishing forum might stimulate alot more fly fishing related discussion and maybe attract alot of fly fisherman (and women) to the site who otherwise may not partake in our great discussions of the best hook, and the ultimate egg cure! This is a great place and it's hard to improve on a good thing but change isn't always necessarily bad. The "First Annual Snoopy Challenge" killed me!

#135251 - 01/15/02 07:26 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Hey Bob et al,

I'm a crossover fisherman - as you noticed the other day I'll pick up the spey rod one pool, then the gear rod the next.

I kinda like the "One Board" mentality - there are many great flyfishers I've run into on the rivers and online (SalmoG, Coot, etc) that either fish other methods or just enjoy a board that talks about steelheading. Since so many Steelheading issues are common to all, I think keeping a single board might not be a bad idea. It's great that a fly question often gets 5-6 replies and the poster doesn't feel left out.

My .02,

Brian

#135252 - 01/15/02 07:27 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
I tend to agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" idea, However I would guess that a lot of people particularly newer anglers ask a question that may get swept aside by more popular posts. I'd say if you do choose to add another forum it could be a forum specifically for asking questions about techniques and methods.
Or Possibly a boating page there seems to be a lot of boat talk going on too..

As a fly fisherman I don't see the need for a fly fishing specific forum.

#135253 - 01/15/02 07:37 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Bob

This site is about fishing! Please don't split it up between fly fishermen and others. It's all about fishing! We need to see both sides, and their different points of view and each others "opinions". Like so many have already said; if it isn't broken, don't fix it!

Please leave it the way that it is. Why divide us more then we already are?

Thanks again for all that you have done, and have attempted to do.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#135254 - 01/15/02 07:49 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
So far the concensus is "Don't change the board"
and I agree with that. I'm getting into fly fishing more, but still enjoy this forum the way it is, because I also enjoy all the other fishing methods too.

The only change I can think of, that might help, would be some way of drawing new people to the "search" feature for topics, so that we don't keep getting the same "Best hook,line and sinker" questions all the time. Perhaps when someone new registers there could be a necessary link to a topics list?

cool

#135255 - 01/15/02 07:51 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Bob, Maybe a forum regarding conservation/habitat issues along with volunteer opportunities to get involved. A forum for meetings or general announcements etc would be helpful. These topics tend to get swept down rather quickly on the regular use forum because there is usually no need to respond. How about an angler education section?

#135256 - 01/15/02 08:06 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm gonna chime in with DH...

First, I wouldn't add a page that is specific to a type of fishing. It would keep some folks from missing a great topice that was posted on one board but not visited because "I don't fish that way".

Secondly, I am in full agreement with DH that a board dedicated to announcements for river cleanups, organizational meetings/projects, WDFW rule changes, etc., would be useful. As DH noted, they're important topics, but they get shoved off the board fast due to the absence of any need to respond to it and put it back to the top. With a dedicated forum they would be up longer.

The only other forum I would go with would be one where the moderators immediately put any topic involving sleds vs. drift boats vs. bank fishing, flyfishing vs. gear fishing, snagging and lining, favorite hooks, lamiglas vs. loomis, or Ford vs. Chevy...

Make sure whatever you do add actually adds to the experience of being here. I don't think a fly only page would do that.

Thanks for the great site...

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#135257 - 01/15/02 08:07 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I am with the others in regards to a bugrod forum...the forum is excelling as it is and I think breaking it apart will create seperation and limit who reads what. I enjoy everything being lumped together...

#135258 - 01/15/02 09:18 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Jumbo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, Wa
i actually think there is reverse elitism. mostly gear guys saying that fly guys are elitist. never heard a fly guy put down a gear guy.

release em.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Jumbo ]

#135259 - 01/15/02 10:19 PM Re: New Forums? Suggestions?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I second the motion on hunting. You could just create a single "hunting" forum or divide it among birds, big game, and them rascally varmits.

Not to be bashing any other boards, but it would give me a reason to stop headin' south of the border for my hunting fix.

I enjoy the posts from our southern bretheren(sp?), but there are lots of folks here who hunt, and updates from a primarily Washington community of posters would be welcome.

Marty, aka smiles4u (I think that's his moniker here) has a "community chat" where non fishing related topics get moved to. It makes it nice for folks who want to avoid the bashing that "never takes place here" wink , or conversely a place where folks who missed General Hospital yesterday a place to catch up on who's dissin' who. Just make sure you invest in popcorn futures.

I agree with most folks who say keep it simple, but just a little more variety would be nice. Thanks for asking!

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |