THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136592 - 01/22/02 12:14 PM With all this cougar talk.......
banki Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Montesano, WA
How many of you carry a gun when you go fishing? I fish a lot by myself and spend a decent amount of time in the woods rummaging through bushes and what not to find that perfect hole. Hearing recent talks, on a couple different boards, about cougars has got me thinking about purchasing a gun. I don't want to be caught off guard one of these days by one of them big ol'cats. Oh ya if you pack, what are you packing?

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: banki ]

#136593 - 01/22/02 12:35 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
DM Offline
Smolt

Loc: WASHINGTON
Well Banki
I do not pack heat because i usally am not tromping through the woods, but i know guys that do when in cat teritory. its a good idea.you never know when something could happen. wink

#136594 - 01/22/02 12:48 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I went fishing in Montana a few years ago with a buddy of mine and he was packing serious heat a 44 magnum. I was the only one to see any wildlife. A bear came up the trail in front of the truck and when he saw me he turned around and went away. I could have touched him with my fly rod he was that close.

#136595 - 01/22/02 12:58 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
I fish by myself most of time and do lots of bushwhacking. I don't, however, carry a gun. Like someone said in the other thread, if a cougar really wants to attack you, he'll probably be on top of you before you have a chance to pull the gun. I don't like the idea of being attacked by a big cat anymore than the next guy, but I refuse to give in to the fear. I love fishing alone in remote place and will continue to do it.

For some cougar safety tips, here's a good article: http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/wld/pub/cougsf.htm

#136596 - 01/22/02 01:35 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
I bow hunt some wilderness areas that put me in some prime cougar habitat. I have run into two cougars before when hiking into a little river. I just raised my arms and shouted and after a bit of time they ran away. I do have a handgun I could pack, but like was stated before, if a cougar wants to attack you, it will be on you before you know what is happening. Even if a cougar attacks you, if you fight back, it will most likely run off. Most important is to be aware of your surroundings and be noisy(unless hunting). The reason why cougars are becoming a nuissance is due to the anti hounding laws passed about 5-6 years ago. We now have generations of cats that have no fear of humans. Unfortunately it will take a highly publicized attack of a child to overturn this law.

#136597 - 01/22/02 01:49 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I thought about it after a drunk pulled a knife on me on my way down to the river. Another guy one day came down to the river carrying an axe. My friend asked him what the axe was for and he said "cutting wood". We had to walk twenty minutes to get into this hole, it was weird that he was that far back wanting to cut wood. He sunk the axe into a log, left the axe there, turned around and left. After these experiences it is not four legged creatures I worry about, but two legged ones.

The only reason I do not carry a gun is because I fall in the river to darn much and I hate to see my baby get all wet. Plus I do not have a pistol that I really consider a packer, they are all full size. If I had a snub nose, stainless steel revolver, I would.

#136598 - 01/22/02 01:58 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W. 12 rounds of Corbon 135gr JHP @ 1325 fps (526 fpe). It is light, concealable, double action, accurate, and always within reach.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#136599 - 01/22/02 02:01 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
it would probably be a better idea to carry one if you are walking through areas near Pioneer Sqaure after a late night M's game. Your chances of being attacked are higher.

#136600 - 01/22/02 02:03 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Packing a gun while fishing, now thats a touchy subject. If your doing it for protection from black bear or couger in the lower 48 I say its a waste of time. Look at my post on the B.C. thread. Like Kore and others have stated attacks happen so quick your most likely not going to get it out. But it is your right to carry, if you do so get some training and do it smart, not out of fear. cool

#136601 - 01/22/02 02:14 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
45 cal smaller kick than a 40 even though bigger

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: DOUG KELLY ]

#136602 - 01/22/02 02:29 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
its not the cougars that scare me,because i usaually fish with a partner. its the grizzlies that get to me. i always pack a min. 30-06 semi-auto when i am fishing remote b.c streams

#136603 - 01/22/02 03:35 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
WCSO gave me plenty of training, especially the panic fire situations in a blacked out range using only your flashlight for light. Ranges from 3 yards to 25. 3 seconds to draw and double tap. Out of a 100 score possible I usually scored 93. I just don't depend on anyone else to watch over me. I'm not paranoid, and not stupid either. The pistol is a last resort, two or four legged beast.

When I take my sons out, it is my responsibility to make sure they are safe and have a good time, so I prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#136604 - 01/22/02 06:10 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Dogfish and Chrome/22, both great posts and I can see both points. For anyone else reading this, BE SAFE, BE LEGAL, GET TRAINING. Being in the law enforcement business, I have seen first hand what inexperienced people can do and will do with sidearms, and can say that if you don't spend one day every two weeks at a range training with it, you shouldn't pack it. Get a concealed weapon's permit also, you don't want the Game Warden coming after you, it is a hefty fine, and you will lose your firearm.

-George Orwell

#136605 - 01/22/02 08:50 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
for 2 legged animals 22 10 shot pistol with hollow points, for 4 legged i carry bear spray bought from the gun shoppe
mike

#136606 - 01/22/02 08:58 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
HSL,
Good info.

The article says "If a cougar attacks, fight back .... with fishing poles." Now I think I rather die than to break my Loomis rolleyes

#136607 - 01/22/02 09:18 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I still can't get exited over all this cougar talk!I have way to much time in the olympics by myself to start getting paranoid now!I see sign all the time,just let them know you are there and they will leave!I have thought about packing a gun,actually barrowed a 357 once,but the extra wieght,holster,and added fear of falling in the water changed my mind!

#136608 - 01/22/02 09:20 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
banki Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Montesano, WA
Thanks for all the info fellas, Im just trying to weigh the pro and cons of getting a handgun ,and decided to poll you guys, since most of the time on the board people post very useful info. Im not the one to be waiving a gun around to clear my fishing hole or anything like that. Just as a last resort type of thing in any encounters, you just never know with all them beasts running around the rivers 2 and 4 legged.

#136609 - 01/22/02 09:43 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
i know everyone will think i'm nuts, but dont you ever worry about the sasquatch? they hang out down around st. helens and the quinalt river area. those things are really spooky.

#136610 - 01/22/02 10:10 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Bardo, maybe that's what was chasing all those Elk this summer in the Toutle area :p
Or could it have been some bowhunters :p

FJ...out.

Fishing and Bowhunting is my religion dammit!

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Fish Jesus ]

#136611 - 01/22/02 11:15 PM Re: With all this cougar talk.......
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I've never been scared of any wildlife. Hell, when I was younger I spent a summer tromping through the brush around Kodiak Is and the thought of bears never scared me.

Cougars on the other hand, scare the beejuzuss out of me...I guess it is because they are after you for food.

I do what I can to keep the thought of them out of my mind but when tromping through the bush, I get those times where I just feel like I am being watched. I think once I turn 21, I might pick up a gun but it sounds like some of you think that it will provide little if any protection from the big cats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bob, Mike Abbott
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645451 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |