Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#139558 - 02/07/02 11:35 AM best fight lb per lb
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
i did a search but no results, so here is my question. assuming you are fishing the same river what fish do you think fights the best a 15lb Nate or a Chum,King,or Silver of the same size? My vote goes towards a Chum for an overall kick a$$ fight, I've caught numerous salmon of that size but only 1 steelhead that big an 18lb nate on the Sol Duc he was a chromer but all he did was pull hard and stay on the far side of the river, I wasn't very immpressed but thats only 1 fish to compare to. Any thoughts?

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#139559 - 02/07/02 11:40 AM Re: best fight lb per lb
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
Fresh Sockeye on med wt steelhead rod...best 6-8 lb fish I've ever seen!

#139560 - 02/07/02 11:48 AM Re: best fight lb per lb
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Not just a sockeye, goforchrome. The sockeye in Lake Washington are wussies.

Now, an Alaskan Kenai or Kasilof sockeye is a whole different ball game!

My vote goes to the Kenai Red Salmon. Hands down one of the hardest fighting fish I've caught! They are like summer run steelhead, except mean.

#139561 - 02/07/02 11:48 AM Re: best fight lb per lb
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
No doubt in my mind, 1 vote for the King! I've found the smaller 10-15 lb. kings will out-fight almost anything in a river setting. Silvers start out good but seem to burn-out too quick. Chums can be good, jumping and taking line or just slug it out down deep. Same for Steelhead although the native fish I've caught do seem to fight harder than thier hac. brothers laugh .....c/22

#139562 - 02/07/02 11:53 AM Re: best fight lb per lb
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
chum salmon are the most dogged of the salmon spieces I personally think, cabezon are the strongest for the bottomfish kind. never caught a native steelhead so I'm missing out on that, yet I've never fished for them, go figure. tight lines, Ben

#139563 - 02/07/02 11:56 AM Re: best fight lb per lb
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
This is a little outside the zone you are looking for, but if smallmouth bass grew to 10 lbs you would never hear of steelhead.

In terms of salmon/steelhead, I think either chums (fresh ones) or fresh sockeye are the hardest and most tenacious fighters. I like kings, too, but I think that they can have a fight that is less exciting than other fish.

#139564 - 02/07/02 11:57 AM Re: best fight lb per lb
rcl187 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sedro-Woolley, Wa
Has to be a tail hooked halibut (I managed to do this somehow). Everytime you pull up his head faces down and back to the bottom it goes. This can make a 50 pounder feel like 300. As for legally hooked fish my money goes with planted trout on 12 pound test. laugh
take off your pants and jacket

#139565 - 02/07/02 12:52 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
I will have to agree with Parker the second run reds on the Kenai will flat out kick your butt. I foul hooked a big buck red and before I knew it he was all the way across the river.Can you say smokin your fingers!!

#139566 - 02/07/02 01:33 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Fresh AK Sockeye gets my vote as well. All the pull and acrobatics of the others, combined with the gator death roll. Brutal on light weight equipment, yet the only fun way to fish them.

#139567 - 02/07/02 01:40 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
I've had 48" sturgeon jump clean out of the water twice before they spend it. Even the undersized have a ton of umph. Pound for pound, Columbia river sturgeon fresh from the salt are probably the strongest fish around.

#139568 - 02/07/02 01:44 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Sockeyes are tough little fighters, no doubt. But in a lb. for lb. test, I think the ol' SRC rates pretty high up the scale.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#139569 - 02/07/02 02:11 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Count another one for the fresh AK sockeyes!

Pound for pound, there is NO other salmonid that can compare!

This is just my humble opinion of course, but I see that I'm in good company. smile

#139570 - 02/07/02 02:20 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Smallmouth are the best of the warmwater fish in this state (now I need to try a tiger muskie though...), but give me a break - don't even put a bass on the same thread as a metal head!! (:

I'm most impressed with Chum. Nothing pretty or gracefull about them, but they are tough as nails. I had several get so pi$$ed that they'd peel out my fly line heading one way, next thing I know a monster fish leaps out the water the 200 ft away in the opposite direction. Then I realize that it is the same fish - my line just hasn't caught up yet!! And they'll do this several times. I've also seen some wimpy chums and a few that think they are just big logs and you need a pry bar to bugde them.

Any of you ever hooked one of the upper Elwha bows on light gear? You'll never look at stocker trout the same... Heck, even the little cutties I find on the forks of the snoqualmie jump half a dozen times.

Really i'm not too picky - a chrome fish dancing on the end of my line is all I need!!

-Chad

#139571 - 02/07/02 02:27 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
beek Offline
Parr

Loc: Langley
I have to say a fresh Chum is the hardest fighting fish. They jump, pull line, and are strong as hell.

Honorable mention goes to Fraser River Springs. They get in the fast current and are gone...200 yards in 20 seconds.

#139572 - 02/07/02 02:40 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Out of those choices, I'd have to say the chum. Those fish want to kick your ass. Overall, I'd have to say a smallmouth bass. (remember, this is pound for pound). I was catching them over at the Potholes one year using trout gear and there were times I didn't think I'd be able to land them.

#139573 - 02/07/02 02:55 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
Rivernut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I agree with the chum boys. A chrome chum if it takes off will break you off easy! I was using 20lb test and 25lb leaders this year for them and still was getting broke off by 10lb fish. My elbow is still tender from these bruts. eek eek

#139574 - 02/07/02 03:21 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
my vote is for smallmouth bass, last summer i was fishing in idaho, and in 1 hour or so, i managed to have 11 bites landed four and was using a 8'6 i use for stealhead and 10# ande and still had doubts that i was gonna land some of them fish, which i barely did on some and lost perty big smallies, my biggest was 15", i lost bigger that i couldnt land..next vote would be kings... **berkley boy

#139575 - 02/07/02 03:30 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
anybody catch cabezon on light tackle 6 or 8 lb test. reel handful. if you like smallmouth, you'll love these. you fish for these the excact same but a little deeper with the same gear, and fight better I think from my experience catching smallmouth on the columbia. and there very prolific if you can learn to fool them here in the sound, espicially around port townsend, whidbey Island.

#139576 - 02/07/02 03:31 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Hands down the hardest fighter pound for pound is the bonefish on the flats. I've caught a few the biggest being 13lbs. all on the fly. A 6lber will take you 100yds into backing! But for the NW I still think springers or steelhead on the coast!

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#139577 - 02/07/02 04:27 PM Re: best fight lb per lb
Lip-Ripper Offline
Fry

Loc: Selah, WA
My vote is for those thumb-burning Vedder White Springs(Kings). Better wear track shoes if you want to land these beasts on anything less than 15# mono...

RIP LIPPS!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |