Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141807 - 02/21/02 12:15 AM drift boat
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
man I didnt know they were so cheap, at my bank with a down payment this buetiful willie boat with a sweet trailer can be mine for 45$ a month. thats one friday at the bar. ain't nuthin. but have no expiernce and have never been on a drift boat but if the flippen horse face can row it why cant I. but if it all works out this weekend I'll be floaten river (yeah). I 'm 23 but use a boat regulary in the sound. heres the questin. should I go to a class on drift boat handling or bite the bullet. where can one go on a easy drift with no rapids what so ever. will have a buddy with me. thats if I can get the loan. got a serious adventure bug building up. tight lines Ben

#141808 - 02/21/02 12:26 AM Re: drift boat
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I wish I had your credit... frown

#141809 - 02/21/02 12:28 AM Re: drift boat
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
There is a book about rowing drift boats available. I have seen it at Teds in Lynnwood.

When I started rowing, 3 of the first 5 drifts I made were the Sol Duc Shuwah Run, Sauk, and Cable Hole to Gold Bar on the Sky (hows that for jumping in head first). The first thing I learned was always keep your bow toward danger so that you can row off if it. If you live in the Seattle area I would suggest rowing from Sultan to Monroe on the Sky. There aren't any areas that you can get into trouble, and there is alot of good water to fish.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

#141810 - 02/21/02 05:04 AM Re: drift boat
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Going to get a drift boat cool cool

I would take a guided trip down an easiar run like the hatch down on the bogy or the oxhoe down to a lower pull out on the hoe.The real spoonman would be an wxcellent choice if he is still guiding?Enjoy the boat if ya get it but I would Hate to hear another accident. smile

#141811 - 02/21/02 10:32 AM Re: drift boat
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
There are many people on this board who are good behind the oars but do not have a boat. Offer someone a ride, you will learn more in one trip then you ever could from a book. Also you might make a new fishing buddy. wink

#141812 - 02/21/02 12:00 PM Re: drift boat
Ron Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carnation, wa
That's great that you get to join the armada. It's a real great way to fish. getting someone who knows how to row is imperative. there's no substatute for experence. Remember keep your nose where you don't want to go and row away don't ever try and push your boat.After you learn how you boat responds in a lot of different water the most important thing is to know where to go to go thru a tight spot. I've seen guys that can handle a boat get into trouble real fast buy not knowing what route to take, Wrong route shallow water can't get a dig boat sideways upsside down all in an a few seconds.

my 2 cents, remeber what you paid for this advice it's probably not worth it.

Good luck

#141813 - 02/21/02 12:08 PM Re: drift boat
Local Offline
Returning Adult

Always look ahead when going down the river. Don't worry about tying up a rig or baiting your hook if you are headed toward rapids. It is more important that you pay attention to where your boat is going before you don't have a choice.

#141814 - 02/21/02 12:26 PM Re: drift boat
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
I myself also just bought a new drift boat and had never been behind the sticks. I read a good book called Drift boat Strategies rowing and fishing skills for the western angler. Written by Neale Streeks. The book helped me with a good basic understanding of what to do/not do. I myself just jumped in a took a float. A few things that I will mention is that I floated a easy drift a few times before moving on to the next river. I have river experence from owning a sled( which is a different bird altogether) for a few years and also drifted the same water that I've run in my sled. All of which helped in my decission not to hire a guide first. I will also tell you that I have never been so scared in my life as to my first drift. eek I would recommend that you take someone with you that has rowed before. Take a mello drift and wear a life jacket.I'm sure that there are a few guys that wouldn't mind taking a cracker out for the first time wink I myself would also be interested in having someone showing me the stick while pulling plugs. Any take downs?
Good luck and be safe.
Bill

#141815 - 02/21/02 04:11 PM Re: drift boat
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
fishslayer, check your e-mail

#141816 - 02/21/02 04:34 PM Re: drift boat
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
I bought my boat last spring and would have to agree with fishslayer, that first drift is pretty spooky. I read "Driftboats: a complete guide By Dan Alsup. I made my first trip on a stretch of water that I knew was mellow and also during low water. The low water thing had pros and cons, I think the biggest pro was not much volume so very little hydraulics when I made mistakes. This con would be very reduced area to maneuver. I have made aprox. 20 trips this winter, this is fairly easy but pay attention and dont do anything stupid. Amato Books, Driftboats a Complete Guide

#141817 - 02/21/02 09:28 PM Re: drift boat
dampainter Offline
Fry

Loc: oregon
I just bought a used 2000 willie,cannot wait to learn the strokes myself!!!as I have never been in a driftboat.I picked up some good books on river flows etc...from R.E.I. as well as the driftboat strategies from amazon.com shoot I must have 100 bucks in books here, oh well I don't know anyone that drifts so will get info where I can and this summer when the overtime stops hopefully be hooking up with some of you guys that won't mind helping this rookie out. C U have fun with the new boats, stay safe laugh

#141818 - 02/22/02 12:12 AM Re: drift boat
MJ1 Offline
Fry

Loc: issaquah,wa
Did all the books myself as well as a video put out by Hyde drift boats ( I think) before putting my boat in the water. Good info from all but nothing like the real thing. At the last Puyallup show talked with guide Dave Mullins who also offers drift boat handling classes (206-743-7266). If I had to do it over, I might go this route, probably a little quicker learning curve. Be careful, be safe. Good luck.

#141819 - 02/22/02 02:01 PM Re: drift boat
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
thanks for the great replies but I'm sick as a dog right now and dont feel like writen much, gonna go back to sleep. havent been sick since last winter, this sucks. Ben

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 642 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |