LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142817 - 02/28/02 08:34 PM Help w/driftboat anchor question.
steelhd101 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA.
I own an Eastside Drifter fiberglass boat. It's 18.5 feet long and mass wide. I have trouble anchoring up in any current at all. I do have a 35lb anchor also. I will probably put a new coat of paint on her this spring. Will that and a good wax job help? Any other suggestions other than get a new boat? Thank you for your help in advance.

#142818 - 02/28/02 09:04 PM Re: Help w/driftboat anchor question.
DM Offline
Smolt

Loc: WASHINGTON
Steelhd101 it really depends on what type of anchor you have (ex) is it a pyrimad anchor because I also had the same problem (with that type of anchor), I actually built a new 45Lb anchor with flat bar welded on the bottom sticking out from the sides about 5" this works well. They also sell anchors simlar that work just as well if not better. I might also add that the more anchor line you let out the better you will hold, you might know this already though.

just some advice

#142819 - 02/28/02 09:59 PM Re: Help w/driftboat anchor question.
YoungManRiver Offline
Alevin

Loc: Klamath River, CA
101--Although your boat is larger than my 16' FishRite, and you probably float somewhat different water, this might help...

Try using a smaller diameter anchor rope. I use a 3/8 in rope with a 35lb. pyramid type anchor. The smaller dia. obviously lessens the drag of the current pulling on the rope. More drag on the rope will reduce the holding ability of your anchor, whichever design you choose. The smaller diameter also is easier for me to pull through the pulley system.

Also, the suggestion of paying out more anchor line will help dramatically...good suggestion.

YoungManRiver
Klamath River CA

#142820 - 03/01/02 12:20 AM Re: Help w/driftboat anchor question.
steeliematt Offline
Parr

Check the balance of your boat any weight forward of center will cause the rear to rise and the nose the drop allowing the water to push against the bottom of your boat not allowing it to get the needed hydrostatic lift it gets when properly balanced. Big difference. Matt

#142821 - 03/01/02 12:41 PM Re: Help w/driftboat anchor question.
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kelowna British Columbia
Hi If we are going to talk anchors there are a few terms we will need to use.You are probably aware of these but some might not be.
The line or chain connecting your anchor to the vessel is a RHOAD
The length of line between the anchor stock and your vessel you employ is the SCOPE.
The Shape of the curve of your rhoad is a CATENARY
A rope rhoad has a scope reqirment of 1/6
A chain rhoad has a scope reqirement of 1/3
ie for each foot of water depth you requirw 3'of chain and 6' of rope
These values will give a catenary which ensures maximum holding power of the anchor.
Solution to your problem go to 1/4"chain ie the diameter of the bar stock forming your links.
One type of anchor which will hold in any typoe of bottom from rock to mud is the Northill It was used to anchor flying boats You would need a Northill 5 you might find one at a war surplus outlet. This is a folding pattern achor which stows well when not in use.

#142822 - 03/01/02 02:53 PM Re: Help w/driftboat anchor question.
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Best advise go with a pyramid anchor and play out more line. You shouldn't have a problem if COHO can anchor his tank in the water that anyone should be able to :p :p laugh

Tight lines

Kevin

#142823 - 03/02/02 12:51 PM Re: Help w/driftboat anchor question.
steelhd101 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA.
Thank you everyone. I do have a pyramid anchor.I do have what I think is a 1/2" rope though. I do know to let out more rope helps. However, most of the weight in my boat is well above the centerline. I will try a smaller anchor rope and see if I can move some of my weight back. Thanks for your help.

#142824 - 03/04/02 12:16 AM Re: Help w/driftboat anchor question.
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
With your boat, 2 or 3 people, gear. etc, a 35 pound anchor is none too big. I have a couple of anchors, one 30 and one 45, they both live on my trailer, brackets on each rear corner, chain welded on to padlock anchor to trailer, then depending on the drift/water I pick the anchor du jour. Also how much rope do you have, just replaced mine last year and went to 65 feet which is way more than enough. But then remember to watch the angle of the dangle of the rooter unless you are using chain then it's the angle of the bangle.

#142825 - 03/04/02 12:40 AM Re: Help w/driftboat anchor question.
Blkbrant Offline
Parr

Loc: vancouver wa
When you adjust the weight in the boat you should notice that the boat is easier to row. It should sit right on the rocker (center). When drifting along, it should only take a couple of pulls to stop the boat, breaking the surface tension of the water. Then it should take little effort, i.e., short stokes, to stay in place. Hard to row is hard to hold.

Don't try to anchor in water that is too fast for your set-up. Move to the side, find a seam, or anchor farther up stream away from the fast water.

I'll bet a combination of weight distribution and anchor line scope will cure your problems. If she still won't hold, add some chain to your anchor or between your anchor and rope (I know, it won't go through the pulleys worth a dam).

A stuck anchor in fast water can be a real bummer. Be careful what you ask your boat to do.

Good luck.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, wolverine), 1118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |