Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146355 - 03/27/02 05:48 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Allstar also carries a Titanium rod. Worth checking out.
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#146356 - 03/27/02 06:29 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Rip - Since you live in Battleground, take a quick run to Woodland to the Lamiglass Factory store (east side of I-5 on the on-ramp going north). I've bought several rods there over the past several years. I use strictly Lamiglass now. The Cert Pro is a great rod and at the factory store runs about $120. The G1000 series runs about $80.

If you're doing alot of drifting, I would go with an 8.5 foot G1000. If you do alot of jig fishing, go with a 9 footer or higher. I prefer a longer rod when jigging to keep the line off the water. Good luck.

#146357 - 03/27/02 08:12 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
If the answer to the question was simple, I wouldn't own 8 steelhead rods (not to mention the two I just sold).

#146358 - 03/27/02 10:49 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Jersey Fresh Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Someone has to stick up for St. Croix...

One of my first salmon/steelhead rods I picked up in WA was a 8.5 8-17 Wild River St. Croix caster. I have since collected many other rods, including Lami esprits, loomis's, and fenwick techna av's- yet I can't seem to get rid of the St. Croix. Great all conditions/fish rod, a little beefy (maybe should have a 20# rating)yet respectably sensitive and light. For $100, hell of a rod (even had the company swap it no problem when I buddy borrowed it and slammed it in his trunk).
Peace.
-JF

#146359 - 03/27/02 11:16 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Matt, Matt, Matt .... Listen to the old guy .... We have been trying to make you a jig fisherman .... Buy a 10-10.5 foot rod, perhaps a Lami Certified Pro, counterbalance it and live your life happily slaying fish.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#146360 - 03/28/02 04:31 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Actually thumper, I was thinking about taking one of those old yellow rods with the metal ferruls and using them for my jig rod. I have a 10', and because of the metal ferruls the braided line wouldn't cut grooves (as I've heard of happening). The rods don't have the sensitivity as a new-day rod, but should be fine for jig fishing since your watching the bobber.

Like I said, I'm looking for more of a drift rod, since I really don't have something with that much sensitivity. If I do have a custom rod made, do metal furruls even exist? Are their upsides and downsides to having ferrules made out of different materials? Maybe TH would like to step in and give me more information on the rainshadow products...

Matt

#146361 - 03/28/02 04:40 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

It is my understanding that the braided lines will only wear grooves in cheap rod eyes. A good rod should have good eyes so that shouldn't be a problem.
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#146362 - 03/28/02 05:10 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Ripalip Offline
Fry

Loc: Centralia WA
You can buy a Loomis for under $200 and have the best rod made, or you can save some money and buy one of those other pieces of #@$%. That's a pretty easy choice.

#146363 - 03/28/02 05:32 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Well, it's been decided! Ripalip says that Loomis is the best, period. Glad that's settled. Any insight on hooks? wink

#146364 - 03/28/02 09:32 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Oh, only cheap eyelets. Okay, that's a little more comforting knowing I'm paying a hefty price with my budget...

Has anyone here ever tried the new titanium lamiglass rods? Aren't they like $500 or so? I wonder how they would compare to a loomis. it's not like I'm going to buy one, but I am curious.

Matt

#146365 - 03/28/02 09:34 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
I never fished one, but i did hold it.. and i had my dad blow on the tip, and i poop you not.. i could feel it...

#146366 - 03/28/02 10:08 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
My favorite two rods are both lamis. A 10'6" pro cert 8-12 and my newest 9'6" 8-12 love them both could float without them. Also have a 1025 that just sits there. laugh laugh laugh

Tight lines

Kevin

By the way looking for a new springer/King rod 10' or so what do ya suggest?

#146367 - 03/28/02 10:53 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
For those of you experts out there doing moduluos counts I would consult the manufacturer.
First of all I don't think anyone is making a 57 million modulous blank or rod. And then if they were they would most likely not be telling the general public there specs.
I think You have been hittin the peace pipe way to long and dreaming of the greatest rods.
Peace Superfly laugh laugh

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#146368 - 03/29/02 03:46 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Kevin's full of $hit! I let him use oneof my 1143 GL3's for a few months and dam near had to kick his a$$ to get it back laugh

Don't let him blow smoke about Lami bein his fav. cuz he just isn't tellin ya the truth. laugh

TM-out

#146369 - 03/29/02 01:05 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
If the Loomis rods carried the same warranty as the Lami's do, it would be a perfect world.

#146370 - 03/29/02 02:08 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
Sorry for being gone so long.. all that late winter/ early spring steelie fishing is wearing me out.

Lets talk rods... in my opinion the best blank on the market is the Rainshadow blank. with our new pricing as of 4-2-02 you'll be able to get it for under $130 in the 1025 model. You can't find another rod with this quality for $130 anywhere!

Loomis makes a good rod, they always have, but... for years all we had to choose from was Loomis or Lamiglas.. Now we have choices, and for me its not worth the extra $100 to have a Loomis decal anymore. Every blank manufacture has to have a competive warranty, must use high end compoents etc. They are all good.
But.. the Rainshadow blank is straighter, has fewer cosmetic flaws, very sensitive and is priced way under the other rods.. plus you can only get one if you build it yourself of have someone build it for you, which is going to give you a better built rod.

51 million modulus blanks from Rainshadow... probably the end of the summer. They should be as light and sensitive as anything on the market! IMX, Lamiglas Ti etc. and again have the RAinshadow quaity behind them.

As for guides, I have never seen braided line chew up a hailoy guide... but with the cost of SicTi guides so cheap these days, its worth $20 extra dollars to have them.

Please check out our new pricing on Rainshadow rods.. you will be shocked! Batson Ent. has really done some wondeful things with their product development and pricing and lead the industry in customer service!! Great people!

We now have choices.. and aren't required to spend $250 on a high end rod... thank goodness.
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#146371 - 03/29/02 03:04 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Rapid Robert Offline
Spawner

Loc: Selah Wa.
gooose and lead thrower seem to have warranty questions about Loomis, heres my .02 cents
This is from G.LOOMIS 2002-2003 rod catalog.
G.LOOMIS LIMITED WARRANTY
"Every G.Loomis rod, rodblank and Syncrotech reel
is covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner.Adventure fly reels and our fly rod kits are covered aginst defects in workmanship and materials for one year from date of purchase. Should dammage occure due to defict, G.Loomis will, at the companys's discretion,either repair or replace the product at no charge.Damage resulting from accident,
neglect, or normal wear and tear,at the company's
discretion, be repaired or replaced for a nominal fee.Naturally, you will receive a complete estimate before any repairs are preformed."

G.LOOMIS XPEDITOR SERVICE
"A broken rod will never have to keep you off the water again.With the G.Loomis Xpedditor service you can get a brand new rod to replace a broken one, delivered to your doorstep in just two days.Even if your on a trip away from home(any where in the U.S.).No questions asked, no waiting around for warranty claims. this saves you the usual hassle and expense of packaging, insuring and mailing your broken rod. Plus, you avoid any and all warranty fees for the rod repair.

Here's how it works. Contact our service department and request the G.Loomis Xpeditor Service. Pending stock availability, we will ship
you a current replacement rod via UPS 2nd Day delivery.Then, when you receive your new rod, simply remove it from the shipping tube, place the broken rod into the shipping tube, and affix the pre-paid UPS shipping label provided. Once you hand off the package to UPS, you're done and back on the water. The cost: $50.00 charged to your credit card. Demo rods are excluded from this program. This service is faster, cheaper and more " user-friendly" than any other option available (Except maybe avoiding breakage altogether)".

I don't know what lami's, or alstar or rainshadow's warranty are, but this is G.Loomis
and it's a good one......great service too laugh

#146372 - 03/29/02 04:06 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

My mistake, 51 million, not 57 million. So the rainshadow blanks for $130 are the exact same inclusing quality as previously rods sold for $160 without shipping?

Matt

#146373 - 03/29/02 04:18 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
YES.
As of 4/2/02 we will be offering a totally new price structure for all of our Rainshadow rods.
standard and SicTi models.
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#146374 - 03/29/02 04:47 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I have both Loomis and Allstar. I like the Loomis rods for drift fishing. Allstar is fine for me while plugging, floating, or spinning.

I pretty much fish with the following throughout the year:

(Not in any order or preference)

1024c
1025c
1086c
1143c
1263c

And for plugging:

HSR901
HSR964c

Got have some spinning gear:

1083s
1141s

As of late, the 1143, 1263, 1083, and 901 have been my work horses.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bob, Mike Abbott
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645451 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |