THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147299 - 03/31/02 07:43 PM Re: Keep it clean?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I think I have given a wrong opinion of how offensive I think the humor has been. I have only come across a few incidents that I think are just over the top. I think they have both been removed by either the individual or the moderators. I have spoken to each of those individuals directly, with less than responsive results. They are among the respondents above. The individuals seem to think that this is a place to grunt and scratch and let it all hang out. Maybe it is. The swear word filter made me think that the management wanted better than that.

You're all correct that it is the parent's job to keep offensive stuff from their kids. I certainly accept that. I'm just a little surprised and saddened that this might be one of those places to keep from kids. My kids don't come here, I do. After reading the board for several months, I didn't think I had to hide the screen when cruising through the site. Until fairly recently.

I made the comment I did, because I wanted to make a polite request for a change. I didn't demand, I just asked for consideration of the concept. You can choose whether to comport yourself like this is a family picnic, where the beer is flowing and everyone is having fun. And, frankly, once in a while, Uncle Bill lets loose with the 'f' word. Or you can choose to comport yourself like it's late friday night at the neighborhood tavern. Or somewhere inbetween. Me, I'd kinda prefer the family picnic atmosphere myself, and the swear filters kinda give the impression that that is what is expected here. Sounds like at least a few would rather be at the tavern. I guess it's up to Bob to sort it out.

And to those who chose to get hostile in response to my request, well, I guess I learned something about you today. For the most part, none of you had ever said or done anything that provoked my comment. I'm kind of surprised to see that reaction from some of you, Gooose and AuntieM in particular.

So, we all come to places like this to socialize and find folks that they'd like to be with. Sounds like this might not be the right place for me, so I'll go look elsewhere. Sorry if I bothered anyone along the way, it's not my style.

#147300 - 03/31/02 07:58 PM Re: Keep it clean?
Hoochie Offline
Fry

Loc: Hobart
You want censorship? You want a sterile BB environment where you can act like you are in Church? Where nearly every post is inane babble and there is no REAL fishing input or advice? Just a bunch of gladhanding and sucking up to the web-Master/owner?

An environment where you can be banned in a heartbeat if you didn't offend but the web-Master assumes you were the culprit? Then he goes and tells the world that you are a bad boy?

You want to see nothing but squeaky clean useless crap?

Go to Lamefishin.com!!!!!!!

That's what you'll get if this board were to be as controlled as you're talking about.

#147302 - 03/31/02 08:39 PM Re: Keep it clean?
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Silver Hilton.....I must hve missed it. Where do
you see a moderator in the above responses?

#147303 - 03/31/02 08:40 PM Re: Keep it clean?
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
i vote for crude on the river and polite in public. with the guys i hang out with, that doesnt always work, but the theory sounds ok. it sounds to me that hilton was just making an observation. if you dont agree, its your choice to act however you wish. if i see something offensive, i ignore it, if it doesnt affect me.
ive got seven kids, and i doubt that any of them would be too offended by piscatorial.

#147304 - 03/31/02 08:46 PM Re: Keep it clean?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Isn't there a ****ing naughty-****ing word filter on this ****ing site? ****!
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#147305 - 03/31/02 09:18 PM Re: Keep it clean?
Anonymous
Unregistered

These type of threads that develope into a debate about human nature, mores' of society, and how we characterize other's opinions are always interesting. And nearly always are fraught with inaccuracies and wrongful accusations. They actually peeve me off more than the original post. I've been thru more of them than my share. The amazing thing is how poorly the recognition by some 'challenged' people is for who was "attacked" or "bashed", and who put up a rightful and accurate defense response! They often will try to turn it around against a person(s) they don't like or agree with. I've been put thru more than one of these exact scenarios. It brings forth incredible lameness at times.

In this case, a member who I like and enjoy his posts, 'Silton, puts up a thread subject in which he put forth 'his' standards on others concerning adult subject matter on a primarily adult site; with a very negative spin on it. That is his right, as it is the right for others to disagree. I also think the more offensive thing was his characterization of many of us as "crude and unsavory". But after other's rightful disagreement posts, in come the more offensive guys with NO CLUE (DonK, St'Add, Phish, sthdr20) that are more aggrivatingly out-of-line with their mis-characterization of those posts than they are aware of! Take off your blinders guys and go back and re-read (something I've had to tell too many 'challenged' people to do - and I don't care how condescending that sounds; it's accurate). Having re-read above, you should see ~~~

It was Silver Hilton that affronted a large percentage of member's character here with this quote that he purportedly told his daughter while sitting at his computer and, amazingly to me if he was telling the truth about it, allowing her to read things he doesn't want her to see - "I have had to explain that there are some crude and unsavory people in the world (unquestionably directed at many of us!), ... Would anyone here feel proud to be included in that description?" NO; we would be offended, and were. That is a direct and mostly inaccurate affront. Period. Then ~~~

In comes the 'challenged' pot stirs with:

DonK - "several of you have to bad mouth him." Don, not. We came in and took exception to his opinion and even more so to his inaccurate characterization of members! No "bad mouthing".

Steel-Add' - "Do you really want the world to think of this group of fishermen in the PNW as a bunch of undereducated, crude, and rude folks? I didn't think so." Relax Steel', they aren't even thinking about us! rolleyes Besides, they are up to same or worse in a majority of them.

Phish - Geez, where to start with his post? Most of it; "he receives attacking responses with most sounding like a '15 year old wanna fight the world response'. There is no point in starting a 'u r is a stupid person me not responsible two raise ur kids' fight.
I have enjoyed Silvers posts. I respect his opinion. I do not whole heartedly agree with all of it. However, I find responses to his post more offensive.
And yes, I did make this an aggressive post. I believe that a good person was attacked for sharing a particular belief which was displayed in an intelligent manner. Just my 3 cents.
Oh by the way, this was not directed at everyones response. Read down the list. You can tell who got a bit uncomfortable. It came across as they are ready to fight. Maybe my perception was wrong on these posts?" ... Nice piece Phish. Not. You vilify us for a counter opinion to 'Silton's, then find our criticism "offensive", then turn around and do the exact same thing to several of us! In addition to learning to perceive what you are reading better, you need to learn why your hypocracy is so offensive! However, thanks for asking if your perception was off. Yes, it was.

stlhdr2o - "A simple expression of opinion by silver hilton about cleanliness and the same group of people (its always the same three or four, far from a majority) begin the flaming...
I disagree with silver hilton on the issue of cleanliness for the virtue of children. This is the internet where freedom of speech is guaranteed (at least in this country). Tools are available at no cost for parents to exercise the control necessary to block children from viewing this site, if they felt it necessary." ... This hypocritical take by st'2o is even funnier than Phish's. He criticises us for exercising our right of disagreement with the intial post in the this thread, and then follows it with his own disagreement with it!!!!! rolleyes rolleyes Geeeeez that's embarrassing dude! shocked

Since most of the adult type humor here has to do with proper bodily functions of human sexuality and waste disposal that are inheritantly awkward thus sometimes funny, maybe some of you need to get a grip on the reality that the human race makes fun of itself. Lighten up. It's OK! Get over the unrealistic puritanical aura of the under-educated and inhibited expansionists from Europe that brought and put a bad conitation spin on wonderful human sexuality; and the sometimes natural but awkwardness of it all, that we make fun of. Almost everyone does. And ~~~

Since this occured on Easter Sunday, let me express thankfulness that the Lord provided us with those wonderful bodily mechanisms that allow the human race to exist in the first place and to be able to survive, and has forgiven us our sins as well as our lighthearted fun with it.

Now, go get over it and lighten up.

Off the soapbox. smile

RT

#147306 - 03/31/02 09:24 PM Re: Keep it clean?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Hey guys, (AuntyM, you too) be nice. wink Agree to disagree, please. "Can't we all just get along?"

I think topics like "poohouse scriptures" are fairly well labeled, and you can pretty much excpect what you're going to see by the title.

But being the liberterian that I am, I don't like to see limits placed upon others in group fashion. Limit yourselves, and if you find something offensive, respond in a private message to the mods, on a case by case basis. Let them figure it out. It is their board to run.

Odds are that if it isn't a slam on Ifish.net, or something entirely outrageous, it will probably stay. Bob has said more than a few times that he lightly moderates the board. I like it that way.

Best of luck to both sides on this issue. Can we please stop the name calling?

Catch any fish lately?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#147308 - 03/31/02 10:25 PM Re: Keep it clean?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Silver Hilton post away...you've got opinions....and so do others. You gave yours on this particular subject and I gave it some consideration and voiced mine in disagreement. Info Moment For All: don't expect
everyone to be in agreement when you post an opinion....thats the beauty of this particular forum. laugh

As for there being a certain group that always takes to flaming....sure you betcha when someone posts something that is meant to be obviously inflammatory...and suspect in content.
Hmmmm maybe someone needs to take a look at their reflection in a pail of H20? rolleyes

#147309 - 03/31/02 10:39 PM Re: Keep it clean?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Are we there yet ???

#147310 - 03/31/02 11:04 PM Re: Keep it clean?
bank walker Offline
Spawner

There's always TWO sides... Thats why WE as SPORTSMEN never get anywere in this state rolleyes rolleyes

Silver,
THere should be more parents like you who care about there kids, and voicing your concerns should be taken openly istead of subjectivly
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#147311 - 03/31/02 11:16 PM Re: Keep it clean?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Thanks Silver .... I appreciated your comments.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#147312 - 04/01/02 02:46 AM Re: Keep it clean?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
You know, Ii don't know bankwalker, don't know what exactly your tone was on your comment since the internet is one dimensional. But are you saying those of us who don't lie to our children or don't fill them will false rose colored glasses of the world are bad parents?? I for one giie my children alot of love, and the majority of my time (hence cutting down my fishing). I don't sshelter them from all thaat's bad, but show them what's good. But I DON'T read a BB and then try to explain to my children if they read something over my shoulder (which Ii do most of my coomputer time when kids are in bed or playing in their room) by telling them that my co-members are crude when they are probably friends I fish with. I would've apologiized to my daughter for lletting her see it (which wouldn't be much since I always seem to sense when they are there) because it was my mistake. Not teh boardmembers who wrote it.

Here's how I see it. You can only post if you're a registered user. Bob has final say on what stays or goes. Complain to him. If he says it's ok, then it's not offensive. This is not a "public" forum. You can openly voice your opinions in a "public" forum. You don't have to register, or get your account yanked if you're iin a public forum. We're all "members" of Piscatorial Pursuits that Bob has graciously kept running for us with the freedoms he has let us convey on our posts. He owns iit, so what he says goes. If he shuts down the BB tomorrow, all the emails in the world won't bring it back if he doesn't want it going. Now a public area that is being shut down, enough noise and things get done. This is a PRIVATE site owned by Bob that he lets us VISIT. We may post here, but what he says goes. Plain and simple. Now, if it was a .org or .gov then I'd have a problem.

Ok, off my soapbox, I'm going to bed.

Hey RT, shouldn't you be out chasing Emu's or ssomething??? laugh

Northwest River Fisherman

#147313 - 04/01/02 03:04 AM Re: Keep it clean?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey '69, whew, that's what I just got back from doing. Dammit gumby, I couldn't catch any. And I wanted one sooooo bad too. We watched a rented movie earlier this evening called "Double Take". In a couple scenes they showed bunches of beautiful emus at a Texas farm. Really. Only in their natural feathers. Oh man!

Hey, since that joke was never my idea, how about the guys who perpetuated it try to explain it to all the little kids swarming to the salmon and steelhead fishing BB, while their parents are out of the house?

smile

#147314 - 04/01/02 10:37 AM Re: Keep it clean?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Personally, I don't mind threads such as Poohouse Scriptures if it is labeled as such ... but in everyday posts, I don't see the need for posts littered with trash.

Well this about enough of this thread I think.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1229 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645416 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |