Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153161 - 06/07/02 09:38 AM Potholes
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Taking a couple young kids camping and fishing for the first time. We will be staying at the State Park and would love to see them catch their first fish. I haven't lake fished for trout (outside of fly fishing) in years and am wondering if anyone has any insite on this lake as to where, how and when. We are taking the boat so we will have good access to the whole lake.

Many thanks for any tips. Hoping to start tomorrows' fishermen off right!

Steve

#153162 - 06/07/02 10:55 AM Re: Potholes
mawdet Offline
Parr

Loc: Des Moines
Dawg, Shouldn't be a problem to get the kids some fish over there. I've fished there 2 weekends in the last month and have done quite well on both trout and walleye.

If you launch at the state park, hook a left around the point and try Frenchmans wasteway. Usually trolling weddingrings tipped with worms will kill the trout here. Other good bets are the face of the dam, goose island, crab creek and lind coulee.

Mardon resort has a web page with a reports section that could help. I think it's www.mardonresort.com

Good luck and let me know how you do.

Big_Jim

#153163 - 06/07/02 12:36 PM Re: Potholes
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
Since you're fishing with kids who are not fishermen, don't waste a lot of time searching for trout or walleyes if they're not biting or if the wind is such that you can't fish the big reservoir.

Head into the dunes through one of the main channels and find a bay with panfish-- perch, bluegill, or crappie should do the trick. Use a bobber setup with a minijig and either a piece of nightcrawler or maggots. You should get plenty of action. Be aware that there are special regulations for both crappie and bluegills on the Potholes.

Perch Island (one of the dunes that is submerged part of the year) is an excellent place to find fish as well. It's between the state park and Winchester Wasteway. You can also fish along the face of the dam for just about everything in the reservoir-- and it's a great place for bluegill and crappie as well. I would fish a slip bobber there as the bottom is grabby.

Since the wind is a factor at the Potholes, I would take an anchor and plenty of line. I would also think about a second anchor as well so you can keep your boat in one position. Don't anchor near the dam, and be careful about anchoring in standing timber.

If you fail to score in the big reservoir, load up and try Soda Lake. Also, ask at the Mar Don tackle store; they will usually give you the straight scoop on where the fish are biting and on what.

Have fun! The Potholes is a great place to fish.

Keith

#153164 - 06/07/02 10:09 PM Re: Potholes
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Trolling a Rapala style minnow plug, especially if a front hook is tipped with a small piece of baitfish or shrimp (nightcrawler scent works ok too) is a consistent producer also. I usually long line them off the back, and fish a few feet under the surface.
For easy action for the kids, buy a dock pass at Mar-Don's resort. Fish very small jigs tipped with bait (especially pieces of fish), lots of action on small panfish.

#153165 - 06/07/02 11:24 PM Re: Potholes
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Try asking your questions on the washingtonlakes.com forum cool That forum is specifically for still water fishing.

#153166 - 06/10/02 11:58 AM Re: Potholes
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Thanks for the help guys. The weather turned pretty crummy fast on Sat. afternoon so we only got in a little fishing with not much going on. Sounded like most folks found it to be slow going. Next time...

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |