THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153204 - 06/09/02 12:54 PM What drift boat options?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Hey all. What options do you think are necessary and a waste of money on a drift boat?

Also, what are the regs between 16' and 17' boats in WA? Isn't 16' the cut-off for something?

Matt

#153205 - 06/09/02 01:04 PM Re: What drift boat options?
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
RipDatLip,

Must Have DB Options:

PFD's for everyone

Spare oar

Spare oar lock.

There is no special regulations on 16'-17' until
ya try and put a motor on.

Cigar laugh

#153206 - 06/10/02 02:23 PM Re: What drift boat options?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Must be registered in the state of Washington too though right? wink

#153207 - 06/10/02 04:53 PM Re: What drift boat options?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

So if I run a motor, what are the rules?

Matt

#153208 - 06/10/02 05:55 PM Re: What drift boat options?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
I have a fairly loaded Willie DB. If I had it to do over again the only options I would get would be a level front floor, storage under the front seat, 4 pulley side anchor system for the rear. I had a front anchor system but I memoved it. It was more trouble than it was worth. My boat has the 3 compartment rowers seat with locking lids. Its a $450.00 option that was a waste of money.

The 3rd oar idea iis a good one. Just dont get the break down style. If you ever loose an oar you usually wont have time to put together the spare oar.

#153209 - 06/10/02 06:06 PM Re: What drift boat options?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
this isint really relevant to this subject but im looking to buy a drift boat and one that i am looking at will need the bottom refiberglassed a little bit down the road. it has no holes. its gonna cost me only $400 its 14'x58". the guy is leaving the country within the next week so thats why it is so cheap. my question is should i buy it and refiberglass it or just pass.

thanks
Tyler

#153210 - 06/10/02 06:13 PM Re: What drift boat options?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
The WA licensing website states that if the boat is 16' or less, and the motor is under 10 HP (hence the 9.9's) registration is not required. I have a copy of the reg in a zip lock baggie in the boat, because I know sooner or later a law enforcement person is going to challenge me on the issue.
As far as the options, I would concur with 3rd oar and oarlock, PFDs, side pull rear anchor, dry storage under the front seat and a fish box under the rower's seat. Rod holders are a must if you are going to pull plugs. I epoxied a small line level on the face of the front deck of my boat; the passengers know if the boat is level at all times, and it makes rowing the boat in a straight line much easier.

#153211 - 06/10/02 08:02 PM Re: What drift boat options?
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Brier, WA
Fish4Steel,
I would love to see a copy of your proof for using a motor on a under 16' boat. The copy needs to be current also. I really hate the looks of the numbers but their required to run a kicker on the DB.

From the washington department of Licensing website FAQ

http://www.wa.gov/dol/vehicles/vs-faq.htm#size

Question
What sizeboats with a motor are required to be registered?

All vessels with propulsion machinery are required to be titled/registered including sailboats 16 feet and over without any propulsion machinery. For information on other exemptions, please contact your local county auditor's office or closest vehicle licensing office.

Their is no yearly excise on boats under 16' so to register it for use with a motor every year is $11.50

#153212 - 06/10/02 11:57 PM Re: What drift boat options?
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Most 16' and 17' driftboats fall under the 16' requirement if that is true. Driftboats are measured along the sides and not bow to stern. A 17' willie is only 15'10 as far as the regulations are concerend also for insurance purposes.

#153213 - 06/11/02 01:09 AM Re: What drift boat options?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

I'll try to remember to dig the specific paragraph out of the boat tomorrow; I'll have it with me at the Flotilla this weekend if you are going to be there.

#153214 - 06/11/02 10:56 AM Re: What drift boat options?
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

The only way you can get away with running a boat 16' and under with a motor less than 10 horse and not license it is only if you are using said boat and motor in non-navigable waters or as a dingy for transportation between a licensed vessel and shore only. most rivers are classified as navigable.

#153215 - 06/11/02 11:15 AM Re: What drift boat options?
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Absolute necessity: go to the cat food section of the grocery store and buy some, I think it's called Deli-Cat, dry cat food. It comes in a plastic jug with a nice handle and looks like it would hold about 1/2 gallon or maybe more. Throw the catfood away and cut the round top on about a 45 degree slope down and away from the handle. Makes a wonderful bailer and pee bucket. If your a beer drinker or from Texas I think the same cat food company has a bigger one that holds more than a gallon.

I like the break-down oar. I leave broken down on easy water but make sure that it is assembled and ready to go on the more technical rivers.

Beezer

#153216 - 06/11/02 03:45 PM Re: What drift boat options?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

I always thought that the length measurments were made from front to back not around the side... What's the deal with that?

Also, I'd like to inspect some willies (look at - not buy) without having to drive all the way down to southern oregon. Anyone here nice enough to offer their time?

Matt

#153217 - 06/11/02 07:24 PM Re: What drift boat options?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

www.boatwashington.org/minimum_equipment_requirements.htm
check this one; is says under 10 hp and under 16'
note that this is only for non-tidal waters

#153218 - 06/11/02 07:43 PM Re: What drift boat options?
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Matt, if you want to drive down to Portland you are more than welcome to come by and take a look at my 17'.Just send me an Email and I will get you directions. As far as the measurement thing goes it is from the old days when they first started building DB's and the measured them along the sides. It is a little confusing but almost all DB's are measured that way.

#153219 - 06/12/02 12:37 AM Re: What drift boat options?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks Firedog...

Anyone else have a #1)willie #2)koffler or #3)alumaweld that doesn't mind me stopping by looking at and asking questions?

Matt

#153220 - 06/12/02 12:58 AM Re: What drift boat options?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Matt,

#153221 - 06/12/02 01:00 AM Re: What drift boat options?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Matt,
I have a diamondback; I will be at the Flotilla on the Cow this weekend if you would like to see another boat. Are those regs on motors confusing, or what? Mega contradictions. I'll pick and choose laugh

#153222 - 06/12/02 10:34 AM Re: What drift boat options?
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

fish4steel your reading it wrong again.

basically your only safe bet is to pay the $11.50 and get some numbers. The only places you don't need a registered boat to run a motor. you most likely won't need a motor there anyway.

* No, if 10 horsepower or less when used only on non federally regulated waters.
(Federal waters, where registration is required on all mechanically propelled vessels regardless of size (gas, diesel, electric), include Puget Sound, Hood Canal, Lake Washington, Lake Union, Lake
Sammamish, Columbia River, Snake River, Lake Washington Ship Canal, Capitol Lake, Pend Oreille River, Walla Walla River, Yakima River, and other bodies of water effected by the ebb and flow of the
tide and are on or bordering federal land. For further clarification of federal waters, please contact the local marine law enforcement office in the jurisdiction.) Exception: Vessels equipped with propulsion
machinery of less than ten horsepower that: (a) Are owned by the owner of a vessel for which a valid vessel number has been issued; (b) Display the number of that numbered vessel followed by the suffix
"1" in the manner prescribed by the department; and (c) Are used as a tender for direct transportation between that vessel and the shore and for no other purpose are not required to be registered.

#153223 - 06/12/02 12:49 PM Re: What drift boat options?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Sorry Quicksticks, I gotta diagree with you. The Cowlitz is one example of non-Federaly regulated water, so 16 feet or less with 10 HP or less would not require registration. Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree. We can maybe have a cold one at F4.2 and continue to discuss this? laugh If I'm wrong, I could end up eating crow when the "man" gives me a citation some day... frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |