Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156971 - 08/19/02 11:34 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
RA3 Your right about snagging on most species, and of course none of us would condone anyone snagging in an Redd area. Never! mad

But...If you truly believe Quote-"Snagging is ethically wrong and no one should ever be allowed to do it" Maybe you alone have the answer?
There are many states,LOTS, which allow it to remove an over abundance of certian fish from a system.
They could kill them or... allow people to buy licenses, and contribute money to the Game Dept, and inturn, take some fish home to feed to their families? wink
Which would you do if you ran the Game Dept?

Could all of these states and their highly educated biologists be wrong and you are right? eek
Remember, All you "Purist", next time you land a fish and even though it's hooked on the inside of the mouth (All but 2 of my sockeye were)you should release it, because you can't be 100% certian beyond doubt,you didn't accidentally "Floss it" eek

I don't have the answer, Everytime I think I do someone always shows me another way. laugh

Just my .O2

GEE

#156972 - 08/20/02 12:02 AM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Anonymous
Unregistered

G-Man and RA3 in every case given those types of behaviours are socially acceptable for those fisheries....simple as that. In Washington snagging is prohibited because it was found to be a socially unacceptable form of taking fish in Washington. In regards to socalled flossing I suggest the difference between flossing and snagging is that in the first case someone is actively trying to hook the fish in the mouth whereas with snagging someone is only trying to hook the fish somewhere between the mouth and the tail. I fished boondoggin style(flossing?) for steelies for the first time this year and all of my few fish were hooked inside the mouth and the many fish my friends hooked were inside the mouth. Were we attempting to snag? No. Was it unsportsmanlike? No...certainly not with 8 pound test. I can see the difference.

#156973 - 08/20/02 01:03 AM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Interesting post Spawnout. So, how can you ever be sure that you haven't flossed? And if you are using a trailer hook that hangs back a bit, isn't that kind of cheating? If the fish didn't really want to swallow your bait, but just scare it away, and ends up getting hooked, shouldn't trailer hooks be immoral? Maybe we should only get to keep the fish that swallow our lure.... Kind of takes all the fun out of fishing doesn't it?

#156974 - 08/20/02 01:22 AM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
People... They are FISH.... Surely you cant be serious about this. Yes, protect the fishery, but what is allowed is allowed, vent your anger at meetings... geesh.

#156976 - 08/20/02 10:29 AM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
Thank you RA3, you made my point EXACTLY!
In your above post, you mention both Hitler and McCarthy.... both of these people decided to take the law of the land and change it to fit their own personal views because they, as individuals, with their own ideals of morality deemed it improper....now...how does this differ from you? The law of the land in BC allows for this flossing technique....but you, as an individual, want to impose your own morality on everyone, because YOU, deem it improper.

As I said before, I didn't think you would be able to see the truth in this.

#156977 - 08/20/02 11:05 AM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Craven,

it is common for laws to allow and encourage unethical behavior. What i am saying is that ethical anglers will not want to participate and unethical fishermen ruin everyone elses experience. Suggesting that we are only talking about Canada is absurd. because these same people come down here and do the exact same thing here. It DOES breed anglers who really do not care how they catch fish and when a fish is hard to catch they will resort to snagging. I have seen it a thousand times. If it was limited to the frasier river sockeye i probably wouldn't have said anything but the fact is it is not. on top of that it is becoming an accepted method of angling everywhere.
Snagging is unethical period if anyione has a problem with that well then they are more concerned about themselves than the resource or other people and that by deffinition makes them selfish.
Thats the simple application of login NOT my opinion.

#156978 - 08/20/02 12:19 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Allen3:
Craven,

Snagging is unethical period if anyione has a problem with that well then they are more concerned about themselves than the resource or other people and that by deffinition makes them selfish.
Thats the simple application of login NOT my opinion.
RA3....as has been stated several times, this thread was started about flossing fish in the Fraser...where it is a legal practice ....that is the period.

I think everyone on this board will agree that intentionally trying to stick a hook into a fish by yanking hooks through the water several times a drift is wrong morally, ethically and legally....but the rub comes into play when you want to lump a group of people fishing a legal technique (that you don't agree with) in a place that it is legal to do so.....and you blanketly label all of them "scumbags" and continue your rants in the face of logic

#156979 - 08/20/02 12:57 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
Well, I thought this thread would be dead by now. Just my two cents worth but ..... I think that we are now taking away from what this board is for. How about taking it to the Chat Room instead? Thanks...

#156980 - 08/20/02 01:59 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
How about letting the moderators moderate the BB.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#156981 - 08/20/02 02:25 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
That's what you are doing right Dan? rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

It was only a suggestion.

#156982 - 08/20/02 02:35 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I'll agree in this case, I think this horse was dead some time ago smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |