LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159669 - 09/13/02 11:49 AM What's the easiest GPS?
WoodinvilleBill Offline
Parr

Loc: Woodinville, WA
I'm looking for a portable GPS to use in the boat. All I really want to be able to do is find my way back in fog and maybe mark a few fishing holes in different areas. Simplicity, reliablilty and price are my requirements.

Any suggestions?

#159670 - 09/13/02 01:27 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
Waiteman Offline
Parr

Loc: Granite Falls, Wa.
After researching all the models out there I chose the fixed mount Garmin gpsmap 162 for around $380. The handhelds are just to small to view while fishing unless your a hiker or hunter also. After purchasing a handheld with the adaptors and cradles, you'll be into them for the same amount. imo

#159671 - 09/13/02 04:52 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Boaters World in Everett has the one your looking for. It's a Garmin E-Trex handheld. I bought one there last week and it was $114.99. The E-trex has all the features your looking for. It's a basic unit,that doesn't have roads or cities in it. I went with the Garmin over Magellen (sp) because of the reputation of Garmin products. Boaters World also had the best price I could find.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#159672 - 09/14/02 12:00 AM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Wat you want is the Garmin Map76. You don't have to do anything but turn it on, it starts laying down a track of bread crumbs on the basemap, and when the fog rolls in just follow the crumbs back to the boat launch. It also has all the navigation aids in the States and Canada on the basemap, so even if you have never been there you can navigate with it. This is a handheld unit, but I find it most convenient in foggy and dark conditions to stick the thing in my face, so I can look for deadheads with one eye and the route with the other, and when it clears up I just turn it off and put it in my pocket, so I never bother with a holder. You can get these for under $300 delivered if you look around on the net.

#159673 - 09/14/02 12:12 AM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
My E-trex has the same "bread crumb" feature. I don't like it because if it's on for an extended period,you can't follow it back,because it's to jumbled to make out. If you head out with the gps on you have to follow the same track back to the point of origin,that could take hrs if you've fished all day. When I go to Seiku,I can mark one waypoint when I leave the dock,when it's time to go back in it shows a straight line back to the waypoint. The other thing I don't like about the BC feature is it uses alot of memory,when the memory gets full it starts to overwrite the previous track which may cause you to lose track points. frown

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#159674 - 09/14/02 01:55 AM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
WoodinvilleBill, I don't know what kind of price range your shooting for but when it comes to simplicity and reliability, I don't think you can beat a map76, it comes with a decent world map built in and for 140 bucks more you can download great marine cartography into this unit (the Blue Chart cd covers all of PS, the straits, the San Juans, the coast down to Grays Harbor, and most of Barkley Sound) this cd is drawn right off of NOAA charts, if its on a chart, you can download to this unit.
The 76's also have the buttons on the face, not the side of the unit (much more user friendly)
Also, with 8 megs. of memory it will hold considerably more data then an e-trex before it starts deleting info.

#159675 - 09/14/02 10:55 AM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
Waiteman Offline
Parr

As you can tell from the other posts, handhelds will cost the same after adding software, memory or other addons. The garmin gpsmap 162 has a big screen with very easy to use buttons with a basemap, no software needed. It's hard to drive your boat, fish or whatever trying to look at a 2.2" screen. Save yourself the hassle and check out this model.

#159676 - 09/14/02 12:09 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
I , too, have the Garmin 162 with the built in antenna..I can move it from big boat to Lund due to the built in antenna feature..I also have an ETrex hand held which I use as a digital compass mostly..the "bread crumb" analogy is correct in that it could be hard to follow. The screen is really small but as a compass it is great. The 162 is very cool and has an adequate map built in as well as tide tables and really easy to use menus...If you aren't putting the GPS in your pocket hiking in the woods I agree that the fixed unit with built in antenna makes sense...I have friends who use Lowrance hand helds in RAM mounts on their small boats and they invest just about as much as the 162 with a screen that is so small it is ridiculous to see in the sun. The ability of the 162 to interface with other devices like a laptop computer for example and also can be downloaded with the latest topographical charts...great tool for around $400

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#159677 - 09/14/02 12:11 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
garmin map76, self explanatory for every page just hit menue and its all right there in front of you ask ing what you want to do, thats my vote, doug

#159678 - 09/14/02 11:37 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Waiteman, all Garmin mapping units whether handheld or fixed mount have the same basic world map, sure your screen is a little bigger but the 76 hold 8 megs of download compared to your 2.5 and is an all-around more versatile unit. If I was going to recommend a fixed mount I would say, step up to the 182 ($675 + $150 for Blue Chip) or the 176/176c, the 176 run $499 + chip and is only slightly smaller then the 162 and can also be used as a large handheld. 100 bucks more you can get a color 176.

#159679 - 09/14/02 11:57 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
Waiteman Offline
Parr

Quote:
If I was going to recommend a fixed mount I would say, step up to the 182 ($675 + $150 for Blue Chip)
Now your up to over $800, double what I suggested. The 182 is the color screen model which fades in daylight limiting the visablity. Veratilty wasn't the issue, it was usability. You will never use the 8 mb of memory unless your on the water for a living, it's just a selling point. Waypoints are easy to setup and FREE on maptech.com so you avoid the Blue Chart cd for $150. Did I miss anything...

#159680 - 09/15/02 12:00 AM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

whatever rolleyes

#159681 - 09/20/02 06:06 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
The Toyman Offline
Alevin

Loc: Home of the Beachcombers!
My post may be too little - too late but here goes.
I use a Garmin Etrex Venture. Runs about 140.00 I think. Will do all you asked and more. I use mine in a cellphone holder (hardmount thingy) in the boat and in the side of my pack when mountain biking and stream fishing - marking trails and fishing holes (and altitudes). The people who comlained about the etrex series (sorry HBP) didnt read their manual properly as the issues they had are non issues with proper use. I can troll for 8 hours and see my exact course (5m accuracy on the water) throughout the entire day(and not have it wrap(you do have to save or clear your route every day or so as it only has so much memory) - and you can pick a course anywhere on your "route" or breadcrumb and navigate directly there - again sorry HBP).

I cant tell you how happy I am with mine. It is waterproof and durable, reliable, easy to use, has great software available, is firmware upgradable (mine developed new features such as area calculation with my last free update and the cable is included!)

With the mapsource software for it you can download your waypoints and routes to your computer (and display them there). You can overlay your whole years boating history - every pass you have made - everywhere. Every strike you had last summer, where you caught each fish... Once you have some data to overlay on the big map on the computer - it becomes even more powerful. You can plot routes on your computer (based on previoius days out) and transfer them to your gps. I could go on all day.

#159682 - 09/20/02 06:11 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
Ratherbfishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bainbridge Island, WA USA
One thing is evident GARMIN! I love mine. It's a 168. Not a portable, but I think all the evidence points to user satisfaction with Garmin.

#159683 - 09/20/02 06:37 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
I lost my Garman E-Map to a fire in my garage and upgrade through insurance to a Map 76S. I did spend the money on the blue chart. I haven't used it a hole lot yet, but besides it being totally water proof, having the tides built into the unit is way cool. Whether your in the san juans, puget sound or even canada, it will search for the closest tide station and give you the tides and plot on the tide curve where you are depending on what time of day it is.

#159684 - 09/20/02 09:44 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
Dawn Treader Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Marysville
I tested a few models before i bought my Garmin 76Map. Far and away the best I looked at.

Believe me....after being in the fog enough times, you don't want to "just lay down a few way-points." Definitely go for a unit with a Map feature.

Nice thing about the breadcrum trail effect is that I can easily see where i stopped to boat a fish by the jagged lines...

The Garmin 76 Map does need a Marine Software update to really make it even more useful - but you can get by without the upgrade.

For the money, i'd buy another one again in a heartbeat!

#159685 - 09/22/02 08:41 PM Re: What's the easiest GPS?
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Per Woodenville's post: simplicity, price, and realibilty. I have a Magellan 310 which I paid $80 new for (on the net). No malfunctioning problems. Granted, it has nothing fancy and only saves waypoint names with four characters, but it does the job as outlined. That said, next time I upgrade I will get something that can have more characters in the save waypoint names. Plus, with the price so cheap you can buy two in case one malfunctions - wouldn't that be a drag in the middle of the Straights or Puget Sound on a foggy day? frown

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1384 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |