THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159768 - 09/13/02 11:36 PM Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I fished below the 1st Ave bridge this afternoon and caught two nice silvers in 30 minutes. I also lost one. I could not even get two beers down the hatch before I was done.

The Silvers are here!

#159769 - 09/13/02 11:58 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Nice fish Easy.
We had pretty good luck out in the bay today.
Maybe they are starting to school a little more.

#159770 - 09/14/02 12:09 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
Nice fish. The top one's got quite a belly on it.
There's nothing for scale in the picture, how big were they?
Care to tell what the hot lure was?

#159771 - 09/14/02 12:32 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

They were both males. I did not get a measurement on them, I am guessing 5 and 6 lbs. The lure of choice was a small silver/blue/red beeked Brad's Wiggler with a little shrimp oil.

#159772 - 09/14/02 02:13 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Nice fish Easy. Thanks for the report. Glad to see they are starting to show.

#159773 - 09/14/02 09:44 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Easy -
Nice fish - we also did well out in the bay.

Question - how do rig a wiggle wart with a float and bait? See bullet #4 of page 37 (Duwamish Waterways Special Rules) of the fishing pamphlet.

Tight lines
Smalma

#159774 - 09/14/02 04:47 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

You are right about the bait and bobber reg. You won't see anyone out there following it though.

#159775 - 09/15/02 01:57 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Nice catch Smalma. Interesting defense after admitting guilt. Easy is right about one thing though, sounds like common sense isn't that common.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#159776 - 09/15/02 02:00 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

My bait is my Wiggle Wart and my bobber is my boat. laugh

Heck, just one more day and we can do some real fishing.

Common sense tells me that reg is unwarranted and stupid. mad

#159777 - 09/15/02 10:10 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

A little history of the regulation -
The area below 1st ave bridge has long been a hot bed of snagging. In spite of some intense effort from the men in green it continues (sounds familar). For a number of years there has been pressure to close the whole area so that anyone "fishing" would be wrong.

After working the area for a number of years and talking with anglers the local wildlife agent proposed the current regulation rather than a closure. It went through the entire regulation change process. Elsewhere float and bait (either herring or eggs) is an effective method in estuaries and a darn poor method for snagging. It also gave the officers the tool they wanted for enforcement - no float you are wrong.

Sounds like we can look forward to a change to the other option given angler attitudes.

Tight lines
Smalma

#159778 - 09/15/02 06:33 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I was down there again today. Once again, I did not see a single bobber in the water. I even asked some other boats where there bobbers where. All that was said to me was "what are you talking about?" confused

#159779 - 09/15/02 07:00 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Easy Limits,
Did you catch anything today?? I went down to check out the launch you were talking about under the bridge. Thanks lived here all my life and had no idea that it was there. It looks like it would be a good choice for next years elliott bay king season. But I was surprised at the number of trailers there today. I pretty much fish redondo and robinson and havent had the best year. Last year had 28 fish mostly kings with 4 kings over 20 lb. and 1 silver that was 21 lb. caught north of des moines. Which is now on my wall. This year 5 king 1 silver but 1 king was 28 lb. from redondo

#159780 - 09/15/02 08:02 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Here ya go boyz! READ IT AND WEEP. I was right after all! :p :p

#159781 - 09/15/02 08:05 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Duro, we got four silvers (limited) today on pink Wiggle Warts. cool

#159782 - 09/15/02 08:41 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Cool,
I'm going to have to give it a try! Do I need a fresh water lic. below the 1st ave. bridge? And I would think its best on the incoming high tide am I right?

#159783 - 09/15/02 08:53 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Below the 1st. Ave bridge is considered the Green/Duwamish Waterway under AREA 10 regs. (saltwater license needed). Above 1st Ave bridge is the Green River (freshwater license needed).

Today, was an incoming tide in the morning and fish were everywhere.

#159784 - 09/16/02 05:01 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I fished the Green this morning before work. I hooked into three kings that quickly beat up my wimpy 12 lb test line with an explosive thrashing in the water. It was a lot of fun though. laugh

A guy next to me caught a large CHUM, about 12 lbs. rolleyes Kind of early for that fish in the Green!

Another guy near me caught a small Dolly Varden. First time I have seen that fish in the Green.

I did not see many silvers caught today.

All in all a good opener for that section of the river.

#159785 - 09/16/02 10:04 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
hey EZ. I didn't understand what I read after clickin on the link in yer post. Maybe, no, no maybe about it, I've defintitely been away too long. I don't understand, the bobber thing wuz a big "boo-boo" by WDFG? Man! I'd fergotten how obtuse hte regs are in wa. Gave me a headache just readin em.

Damn lawyers.

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#159786 - 09/16/02 11:30 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Ya, it was a boo-boo by WDFW.

#159787 - 09/16/02 11:59 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Sights Offline
Alevin

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
I have never fished the Green below Auburn and am getting very ancy to try it. Could anyone give me any ideas where I could go near or the salt and what to use. I am not asking for anyones secret spot, but just an idea of where I might try, Thank You

#159788 - 09/17/02 09:39 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Easy -
opps - somehow I missed the emgerency regulation change. Hope your fall fishing continues to go well and this rain doesn't put all (?) the silvers in the river at once.

Tight lines
Smalma

#159789 - 09/17/02 02:12 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
I'll give my 1/2 appology as well for getting on your case a little. The 1/2 non-applogy is for fishing with gear you thought was wrong, but went along with the crowd anyway and then tried to justify it. So in reality, you did nothing wrong, but in principle you did...

Just my .02 cents.

Glad you've been having some good luck though! I'll get off my self riteous (sp) soap box for a while. laugh

#159790 - 09/17/02 02:44 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
Easy, where were you fishing on the 16th. I put my boat in and had nothing but nets in the way! Send me an e-mail.

#159791 - 09/17/02 04:10 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Fish Guy Keith Offline
Parr

Loc: WA
I was out there on the 16th too! what kind of boat were you in ? I probably saw you out there fishin!

You can weave your way through the nets although one spot was kind of tricky! And once you get past the 16th street bridge your net free and the fish are rolling everywhere! Just make sure you head back with enough light out so you can see when and where to dodge the nets!

Did you do any good?

#159792 - 09/17/02 04:36 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Sights - try S. 112th St. just off of Pacific Hwy by Boeing. Tons of bank access via trails. Pitch eggs or spinners (Blue Fox's in size #3). Fish this area on an outgoing or low tide.

PhishPhreak - It's all GOOD! cool cool

Busy - I fished from the bank on the 16th in the morning.

#159793 - 09/17/02 05:20 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Dang! I went downstream of the launch. Duh! Next time I will head upstream. I started in the morning. I will hit it next Monday and maybe Sunday also. Easy, where were you fishing on Sunday afternoon. Up by Boeing?

#159794 - 09/17/02 11:33 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I did not fish Sunday afternoon. We were done by then. We started early (before first light) and fished by the 1st Ave bridge.

#159795 - 09/18/02 09:15 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
Any of you planning on going down to 1st ave they pretty much have the river blocked upstream from the launch. I have my boat moored just above the 14th ave bridge and was going to run down below the nets to fish and when I saw that cluster jam I decided it would nt be worth attempting to navigate them. I am not sure how they can legaly block a river that is supposed to be a navegable area but it is. Or will be till a barge and tug need to get up their. They are limited to nets that are only 1/3 as wide as the river but I guess that is at high tide. I will wait till next week before I go out again.

#159796 - 09/18/02 09:33 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I won't be attempting to boat the Green till at least Friday afternoon, after the nets are out.

#159797 - 09/18/02 04:34 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Fish Guy Keith Offline
Parr

Arrrhhh Nets!!!! I ran up through them most of them are pretty manageable but there was one area that was almost imposible to get through and I missed the turn on the way back in but I saw the net in time to pull up the motor and slide over it ....whew .... Was going to hit it today but I think I'll hit it thursday and maybe friday and sunday. I'm hitting the skagit on saturday or I would be there then too!!

#159798 - 09/18/02 04:37 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Ever tried fishing between the nets with all those fish trapped in there? laugh

#159799 - 09/18/02 05:38 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
powerstrokincowb Offline
Smolt

Loc: Philly via Puyallup
Hey guys. I am a newby (started last year) salmon fisherman down here in Puyallup, and this lower Green River fishery sounds fun. I have been doing pretty good on the Puyallup just drifting corkies and yarn, but I really want to learn some new methods and new areas. (After reading all of these "snagger" threads, I want to learn other methods -- I have accidentally foul hooked 2 salmon in the tail this year, released both, and released all nates.)

I have no idea how to fish the lower Green. Is a boat a necessity, or can you bank fish? And what set up is used? If anyone is willing to take an eager salmon fishing student down there and show them the ropes, I can return the favor with a duck hunt this winter or a sturgeon fishing trip next spring or summer.

You can drop me a line thru the board or post something here.

Thanks.
Joe

#159800 - 09/19/02 11:04 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Joe,

You can bank fish or boat the lower Green. The lower Green is best banked fish at low tide and best boated on high tides. I boat it all the way up to the Pacific Hwy. bridge. Usually, down low in the river guys will toss spinners or pitch eggs. If you are boating troll small Wiggle Warts. The corky and yarn thing does not usually work till you are a little higher on the river.

#159801 - 09/19/02 02:16 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Easy, a couple of questions I've banked the lower green alot going to fish it by boat on sat. How quick does that lot below the 1 ave. S bridge fill-up, need a 4by4 to pull-out? Looks like this sat. 1 st high is at 5:20 am when whould you lanuch and one more, pulling plugs sounds like the way to go do you weight yours at all or just flat-line em, single hooks??....C/22 cool

#159802 - 09/19/02 02:26 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

C22,

The lot does not fill up that quick. You should plan on being there around or before 0600 to get a good parking spot. A high tide in the morning is a good thing. I would not worry about fishing the tide change. There should be tons of fish coming up river.

You don't need a 4X4 unless it is a minus tide and you have a really big boat.

I long line my Wiggle Warts, no weight at all. The key is to use SMALL WW's. DO NOT USE the larger Mag Warts you will be fishing UNDER the fish.

If it is sunny use metallic colored WW's. If it is cloudy use bright colored (pink, orange, red, white) WW's.

I will see ya out there!

#159803 - 09/19/02 04:01 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Fish Guy Keith Offline
Parr

Yeah I trolled right out of the launch inbetween some of the nets untill I got to that part which was almost closed off , then I picked up and cruised up river past the rest of them.

#159804 - 09/19/02 09:57 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Easy, thanks for the tips. Went down to the launch this afternoon and talked to the Indians who were tossing thier silvers into tubs and packing them down with ice. They confirmed thier nets are coming out tomorrow, average size of thre fish are running 5-12 lbs(gotta think thier are alot more 5's than 12's). One big fella said they pulled the nets 4 times a day taking around 100 fish per time....C/22

#159805 - 09/20/02 02:35 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Floatuber Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
No luck this morning. Tried for 3 hours and out of the 20 people down on 112th I only saw one Silver caught all morning. Being the first time I have fished for Salmon (besides the Puyallup, yeah) it was fun.

Those silvers sure put on one hell of a feeding show. I enjoyed watching them naturally more than realing in nothing.

Also I could not beleive how the tide changed that river. When low tide hit it was LOW. I was walking up to my chest in water and when I came back I was on wet ground. Couldn't beleive such a drastic change.

But anyway had fun watching nature but wish I could have caught my FIRST SALMON. Maybe next time. I am determined. Hope the fish are on my side. Or atleast one of them.

Thanks easy for the help. DIdn't work but it at least got me there.

#159806 - 09/20/02 04:26 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Floattuber - not saying I am any pro on the Green or anything but I would give it another shot this weekend. You fished this morning and the indians only just pulled their nets...Those fish, if in the river at all, will probably be pretty spooked. I would expect a serious case of lockjaw until at least tomorrow. I plan on heading out Sunday morning. Maybe I will see you and Easy out there.

#159807 - 09/20/02 04:43 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

FT'er, you will definately want to give the Green another shot this weekend. The nets just came out Friday morning. There should be plenty of new fish in the river by Saturday morning.

Busy, I will be out there on Sunday, Saturday, and this afternoon.

#159808 - 09/20/02 07:04 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
powerstrokincowb Offline
Smolt

Loc: Philly via Puyallup
Easy,

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try from the bank, and then maybe take the boat out there.

A few more questions. I start school on Monday, so mornings are out. Is the evening effective? It has been on the Puyallup for me. And do you know the netting schedule? I would hate to get down there and have the nets to compete with.

Thanks in advance!
Joe

#159809 - 09/20/02 08:28 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Easy...my bleeping, bleepity bleep schedule only allows me to fish Sundays on the Green! mad mad

I am stuck telling people to please power their cell phones on before making a call and they will find it much easier. And no, you will not be able to place that call from the lead lined basement of the hospital radiology department!

You said you are booked for Sunday....how about the next week? I got my 'warts and 'spots ready.....look out fishy. Leave a few for me okay? wink

I suppose I should be grateful that I have a job though.

#159810 - 09/21/02 12:53 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Picked up two more silvers this afternoon fishing the Green. A 6.5 and 7 pounder. Both fish were taken on pink Wiggle Warts.

Sorry about the poor picture quality, a new guy was snapping the photo. frown

#159811 - 09/21/02 05:01 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Easy, you going to leave any fish in the river for the rest of us?

#159812 - 09/21/02 05:29 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
So you and your boat in the lower green today Carl. How'd you do. I got one on eggs but that was it. Seemed like the boats were doing really well though.

#159813 - 09/21/02 11:44 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I did not catch any fish today. frown They seem to have LOCK JAW. I only saw a few fish caught too. There are a lot of fish around though. Even had a couple of fish almost land themselves in my boat. eek

So far, my catching pattern is just like last weekend, got two fish on Friday afternoon, none on Saturday, and two more on Sunday. I will see how Sunday goes. laugh

#159814 - 09/22/02 08:29 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

My cousin Mike caught this nice coho on the Green this morning fishing with me. He caught it with a metallic pink Brad's Wiggler. This is a good way to break in his new rod and reel. cool

There are still lots of coho around but every one is having a hard time catching them. rolleyes

#159815 - 09/23/02 08:58 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Floatuber Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
Fished the river for 3-4 hours all three days, Fri, Sat, Sun and nothing. On bump on Saturday. Saw one fish pulled in on Friday, 2 on Saturday and 0 on Sunday. Seems a little hard. May have to take the floatube out this weekend to get my confidense back on a few rainbows and kokanee.

#159816 - 09/23/02 11:14 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I tried to fish the Green this morning in my boat. What a waste of time. The indians have nets running completely across the river up by the Boeing access bridge. I even followed an indian upstream figuring he would know the best way through the nets. I was mistaken. He ran right into a net. Better him than me. At that point I turned around and headed to the bay. mad

#159817 - 09/24/02 11:27 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
hey easy, where is this boeing access bridge? i work on 190th st. in kent, and i would like to see all these nets, i may even want to fish a lil bit, down from the nets if possible? im gonna hit the puyallup tonite, i hope..some fish in there, we jus need alot of rain to push some fish up into the upper river for it toget hot..bb

#159818 - 09/24/02 11:53 AM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

Loc: Kent
Hi, I fished the green last night for a couple hours in the 112th st. area and picked up a 8# on a all silver Blue Fox. A lot of other people fishing didn't see any other fish caught. This fish our tough to catch from the bank. But if you put in your time it will happen.

#159819 - 09/24/02 02:56 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
What kind of current is there on outgoing tides? I've got a drift boat with a 44lb electric on it. Should I limit my fishing to around high tides or can I still motor around effectively on the outgoing? Thanks

#159820 - 09/24/02 05:09 PM Re: Lower Green Silvers!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

BB75, the Boeing access bridge is the bridge just below the W. Marginal Pl. bridge just off Hwy 599. You will see an exit for W. Marginal Pl. off of Hwy 599. This is also a good spot to bank fish.

Newbie, congrats on your catch! cool

Bossman, I have seen guys out there with drift boats last weekend. So, I know it is possible. The shallower water gets going pretty good on an outgoing tide above the Boeing access bridge. Below that the water is slower moving.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1419 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |