Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160795 - 09/25/02 07:23 PM McAllister Creek hatchery closure
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
I just read that the state run McAllister Creek (south Puget Sound) chinook hatchery has closed. A couple years ago the Ringold salmon hatchery (mid Columbia River) also closed, and other hatcheries that I do not know about may have also closed or are about to be closed. To me it appears that the state wants to get out of the fish producing business and wants to instead be the managers of everything. That could be their "real" vision of things. If that is the case, was are going to have to be very thankful to the Indians and the federal government because without them we would be screwed.

PS: OPPPS!!!! I forgot to mention the WDFW proposed license fee increase to go along with all this other good news.

#160796 - 09/25/02 10:44 PM Re: McAllister Creek hatchery closure
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I remember reading last year that the Nisqually Indians hatchery on the Nisqually is being closed as well. Not sure when.
They're planning on making it a "wild" run of fish.
Something the WDFW and the Nisqaully's cooked up.
This might be part of the same deal.

#160797 - 09/26/02 10:33 AM Re: McAllister Creek hatchery closure
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
The hatchery at McCallister Creek was one of the hatcheries that was axed due to the state budget cuts. It is a old hatchery and is reported to have desease problems, that was part of the decision to close it. From what I understand it has been opened and closed numerous times in its history. As for the Nisqually hatcheries there is no plan to close them anytime in the near future. If they do I think that they would close the one on the reservation side of the river, it is the smaller of the 2 that they operate. The Clear Creek hatchery on the Ft. Lewis side is doing a good job. I have a friend that helps them milk the returning fish and the early king returns have been outstanding!!! They have processed about 2500 fish to the tune of 2 million eggs and there are about 3000 fish in the holding pens right now with the main part of the run not due untill the next couple of weeks. They usually process somewhere between 4 and 5 million eggs a year. I did read an article in the local paper that some of the city workers from the water processing plant at McCallister Springs did a spawning bed restoration project so the returning fish will have somwhere to naturally spawn. Thought that was pretty cool.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

#160798 - 09/26/02 04:01 PM Re: McAllister Creek hatchery closure
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
Thanks for the response to my post. I would like to think that the state is really looking out for us.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1450 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |