Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161185 - 10/01/02 01:32 PM Hoodsport hatchery
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
I was at hoodsport this last weekend and I stopped by the hatchery to check it out. The retaining ponds are full of kings alot of them are huge. There were only 6 people fishing and in the short time we were there we saw 1 fish caught about a 15lb king I would guess. And it was pretty bright still.I didnt get a chance to fish I was there to work on a camping lot I bought. Could anybody tell me when the best time to fish for chums is.I have never fished for chums and any advice would be great.I hope to do some camping/fishing when they come in. thanks!!

#161186 - 10/01/02 02:25 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Was in the general area last year on November 1 and did well. Lots of fish and lots of people. If you have a choice, I would fish out of a boat as opposed to making a shore based assault. Bankies were up to their chests in the water and standing shoulder to shoulder. At the same time there were probably only 10 boats which left plenty of room to play fish without having to horse them in. From what I saw everyone was quite cordial for combat fishing.

#161187 - 10/01/02 02:59 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Thanks,
I was planning on taking my boat.I have seen the pictures of the combat fishing there on the WDFG website. Im still practicing with my new bait caster and wouldnt want to get in everyones way.

#161188 - 10/01/02 03:18 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
If you don't want to snag 3 out of 4 fish like I see most guys there doing (mostly unintentionally) you can try:

* Float and Jig
* Float and jig tipped with bait (sand shrimp, prawn meat, etc)
* Float and small herring
* 'Swimming' a jig (no float - cast and retrieve with slight up and down motions with the rod -not jerking or you'll snag)
* Flyfishing is also very productive out there

These methods all work very well. Experiment a little and it won't take long to find something that is very hot. Don't try to compare your action vs the others using the 'hoodsport' rig (green corkies\yarn). They may be spending more time fighting fish, but most of them will be snagged. Most, if not all of your fish will be mouth hooked which is a much more fun fight... IMHO

#161189 - 10/01/02 09:01 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

PP,
Have you tried trolling the small herring? From what you said it sounds like motor mooching very slowly may work to. But im just guessing. And i like to troll when I can.

#161190 - 10/01/02 09:13 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

I haven't tried it, but i did see a few trollers go by while there. Didn't see them catch anything though.

When the fish are migrating and spread out, trolling would be a good bet (and i've heard small hearing work well for this). But when they start collecting around the hatchery zone and the various creek mouths, then I think staying closer to the fish would be better.

#161191 - 10/01/02 09:50 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
PhishPhreak - I really enjoy fishing the Hood Canal chum in Octover/November. I got the boat if you want to get together and show me some of your 'tricks'. You can keep out of the combat and I get to learn some other ways to catch these fish. They sure can be a lot of fun on a trout rod!!

#161192 - 10/01/02 11:24 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Let's do it. I'll email you my days off and we'll work something out.

#161193 - 10/02/02 02:02 AM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Wow!...good info fellas! rolleyes email me and I'll help you out!

#161194 - 10/02/02 09:03 AM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Seacat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, WA
"...quite cordial for combat fishing." That's funny Little Fish!!! "Please excuse me sir while I snag another!"

It's worth the drive out there once a year just to watch this little "quality" terminal fishery. eek

#161195 - 10/03/02 03:11 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Duro,

Combat fishing is exactly what Hoodsport is all about. There are always a few folks out to make things difficult for everyone else. During my last trip, I repeatedly watched several guys onshore purposely cast over the lines of others fighting fish. It's certainly not the fishing experience that most are looking for. I have also found that getting a chum at Hoodsport to actually "bite" is difficult. I believe most of the fish hooked in the mouth are incidentally hooked while moving from one place to another. If you have your line in the water and 500 chums swim over it, chances are that one of them is going to get your line in his mouth. Often times you can feel fish rubbing against the line with no takes. On the more positive side, chums are terriffic fighters and an absolute blast to catch!! Try fly fishing for them!! Good luck!

RM

#161196 - 10/03/02 04:11 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
Duro,

What size fly rod do you use? Could I get away with a 5 wt? They are a blast to catch. Really a fighting fish. I think in many ways superior to some of their cousins. Caught a couple of them 2 weeks ago while fishing for silvers out of Shilshole. One bulldogged us and the other one took off like freight train. Went in to the backing before turning. Must have taken 250 years of line! What a blast!

#161197 - 10/03/02 07:16 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
What are the closest launches to the Hoodsport hatchery for my driftboat with a small kicker?
Also, seems to me a slow troll with a fly from a float tube might be a great way to fish outside the combat zone.... anyone tried it? Recommendations?
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#161198 - 10/03/02 08:13 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

In a river situation where I can expect a few chum over 15lbs, I don't go less than an 8wt.

My few times in the hoodsport area I found the chum a little smaller and the fight in th salt a little easier to handle. But I would still be hisitant to go less than a 7wt.

I don't think relying on a trolling motor would be a good idea. I forget what all the launches are like, but the one we used was 20mins away and we were cruising at 45mph.

Trolling flys might work but I prefer to cast and strip with varying speeds. Sometimes the slowly sinking fly draws the take.

Last year there was only one guy who was puposely snagging. He'd zip his tiny little dingy between the anchored boats and get between the guys wading and the boats - cast right into a crowd of fish and immediately set the tebble hook on his buzz bomb into the side of a fish. He snagged fish on nearly every cast...

#161199 - 10/03/02 09:54 PM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Im not a fly fisherman the only fly poles I have are very old Ted Williams and a 5 piece eagle claw I got when my dad died.The closest ive came to fly fishing is draging a fly around some trout lakes under a float.And caught a few trout that way.I wonder if that might work for a chum.But I think I might try PP's sugestion about the small herring under float for starters.Than I will try something else if I dont catch any.

#161200 - 10/04/02 12:57 AM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Mooch, there is a big launch just north of Potlatch SP on Hwy 101. This launch is good because you can turn left to go to the Hatchery Zone or turn right and fish by the Enetai Hatchery.

#161201 - 10/04/02 01:36 AM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Easy, How long on run is it from that launch to hoodsport? About the same as redondo to robinson or is it longer?

#161202 - 10/04/02 02:03 AM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Hey guys, let me know when y'all are heading down there, I have missed this fishery the last couple years, and would really like to try it out. I should have my new (old) 18' Trophy ready to go in 2-3 weeks, and may have a seat or two open. You bring the know-how, I'll bring the boat and the fuel cool

Regards,

Mike

Finegrain
Woodinville

#161203 - 10/04/02 02:29 AM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Duro,
The launch is called something like Hood Canal Recreational Park Launch. Its easily identified by the Tacoma Public Power House nearby. The run from the launch to Finch Creek (the hatchery) is about 3 miles from what I can tell on the map....not very far.
JMS

#161204 - 10/04/02 09:25 AM Re: Hoodsport hatchery
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
The run from the launch to the Hatchery Zone is a little longer than from Redondo to Robinson. I do Redondo to Robinson, in my little boat, in about 8 minutes. Launch to Hatchery Zone, for me, is about 12 minutes. The good thing is you are not boating in "open water". You can hug the shore line. The run to the Enetai Hatchery is a lot shorter, about 4 minutes.

The chum fishery in the Canal is a BLAST!! I will make the hour long trip twice in a weekend just because it is so much fun. smile smile I can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 820 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645439 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |