Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162212 - 10/16/02 06:04 PM Re: Vedder River
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Is there any kind of a camp ground close by?

#162213 - 10/16/02 06:07 PM Re: Vedder River
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
The last time I went up they would not accept a voter registration card. They said the only acceptable documentation is a Passport or birth certificate. They finally let us through but warned that they didn't have to.

I spoke to Peter at Fred's today. He said the river is loaded, but the water is so low the fish arent biting much. Many are snagged or flossed. I think i will wait till we get some rain. It sounds like a real zoo up there right now.

#162214 - 10/16/02 06:36 PM Re: Vedder River
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Surecatch,

That must have been last year? I've crossed at Sumas 4 times since August (Fraser sockeye season) and they've relaxed quite a bit since last fall. I personally have only had to show my DL, but always bring passport just in case. Last Oct. there was a sign at the crossing that said BC, PP, or Voter cards WERE accepted, and my wife and I had no trouble using voter cards. Yes, the river is low and people are lining/snagging at the deep holes, but this is nothing new, they do it at higher water as well. Like EVERYWHERE else, when salmon are stacked up there are ALWAYS going to be people doing this. The key is like I said before, do a little hiking and fish the travelling lanes. Rain would definitely help, but there's none in the immediate forecast, so it's either sit at home, or go fishing. smile

#162215 - 10/16/02 06:45 PM Re: Vedder River
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Every time you cross you can get diffrent treatment. I cross about 15 times a year. The incident I described was on Sept 23 this year.
I
t does seem to me that the crossing at Sumas is easier than the rest, but I suspect it just depends on who is on duty that day.

To some extent you are right about getting out and hiking, but I believe I have hiked every inch of that river - even behind the prison. This weekend will be a zoo no matter where you go. If I go, I will probably try up around Slesse Park.

#162216 - 10/16/02 06:47 PM Re: Vedder River
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Every time you cross you can get diffrent treatment. I cross about 15 times a year. The incident I described was on Sept 23 this year.
I
t does seem to me that the crossing at Sumas is easier than the rest, but I suspect it just depends on who is on duty that day.

To some extent you are right about getting out and hiking, but I believe I have hiked every inch of that river - even behind the prison. This weekend will be a zoo no matter where you go. If I go, I will probably try up around Slesse Park.

#162217 - 10/16/02 06:58 PM Re: Vedder River
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

I

#162218 - 10/16/02 07:21 PM Re: Vedder River
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The last two times up they didn't even ask for any I.D., they must recognize me laugh laugh laugh

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#162219 - 10/16/02 07:46 PM Re: Vedder River
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Jerry,

Either that, or it was all of the old school busses painted in flower patterns following you that heralded your true identity. laugh laugh

#162220 - 10/17/02 12:57 AM Re: Vedder River
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
If your coming up HOG hunting, Bring a 10 to 11 ft rod. Shimano, makes one, Convergance, that will work just fine if you can't afford something with status. You'll be fishing with long leaders above your float so you need the longer rod length. I tried my 8 1/2 ft, man, was it tough! mad
20 lb test, or stronger in Tuff Line, ect.
1, 2 ,1/0 Gammies are fine. You can go smaller if you want.
FLOATS- Dink style, some of us use bobber stops and slide them. Fixed, works just as well.
Pencil lead under your float.

NOT YARN! Wool, yes, there is a differance. Wool is 100 % wool. It expands under water.
Yarn is mixed fibers and stays conpressed. I learned the hard way. shocked

Best advice I can give for 1st timers is, WATCH. Don't be affraid to ask questions. Most of the Canadians are pretty cool and will help you out. They were to me 10 yrs ago when I first showed up. smile
Respect their hole. Try to match their weight so your not out floating them or dragging the bottom. If someone has a fish on , get your gear out of the water and wait.

No, I don't use eggs. Just a Gammie and alittle piece of peach wool. This is what most guys are using. wink
Remember, there are some big pigs in there, the water is fast in some areas. They WILL spool ya! eek
Bring extra line or a reel.
I don't know how the white kings taste, I never kept one. Heard they smoke ok. I perfer the chums for that. Plenty of them in there. Don't worry "You will get tired of catching the dogs!!!" laugh laugh

#162221 - 10/17/02 01:57 AM Re: Vedder River
fishbelly2 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Monroe Wa
Hey G-Man,
Shy of purchasing a peach seatcover rolleyes :p , where the heck do YOU get wool for this??

#162222 - 10/17/02 02:31 AM Re: Vedder River
S W J Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, WA
you can get wool at freds custom tackle right at the vedder crossing

http://www.freds-bc.com/

#162223 - 10/17/02 02:36 AM Re: Vedder River
fishbelly2 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Monroe Wa
Thanks swj,
Didn't realize that. Dont you all wish we had a local "Fred's"!!??. Great people, product and attitude!!!

#162224 - 10/18/02 04:23 AM Re: Vedder River
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
A "GOOD" tackle shop should carry wool.
The "BUG SHOP" packages all type of colors. All Sports Supply carries their products. laugh
Check Sportco? wink

#162225 - 10/18/02 10:48 AM Re: Vedder River
rln Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: anywhere in B.C. sometimes wa...
60% chance of rain this weekend. Fishing will be nuts along with all the people if this happens!

#162226 - 10/18/02 12:29 PM Re: Vedder River
S W J Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I'll be there on sunday......whos with me?!?!

#162227 - 10/18/02 12:55 PM Re: Vedder River
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
I'm heading up today. We'll be staying at Harrison Bay campground and fishing the Harrison/Fraser Saturday til at least Monday. Look for the 94 20' alumaweld flat bottom with at least 3 guys fishing from it. I'll be wearing the floppy ears of course wink

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (Carcassman, wolverine, steely slammer, 1 invisible), 954 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |