LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163512 - 10/29/02 10:48 AM Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Just want to be sure. I 'd rather not target/bonk it unless it's a man-made fish, born and bred for my sporting pleasure and paid for with my tax and license dollars cool

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#163513 - 10/29/02 11:16 AM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
to split hairs they're originally wild fish.... but to answer your question, if they're outside the hatchery and caught in the hatchery one, they're hatchery fish. No reason for other runs to mill around in that area unless they're headed to the hatchedry.

Wild ones just scoot on by to their natal stream.

There is a summer run of chums that goes up Finch Creek and those are lifted past the hatchery barricade so they can run upstream. About 100% of those should be past the hatchery now.

#163514 - 10/29/02 12:04 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
I always heard that run was produced specifically for the netters.

At the time the hatchery was created it wasn't known that hook n line could catch chum.

#163515 - 10/29/02 02:32 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
The Hatchery Zone is a meat fishery. It gets the bulk of chums that return to the Canal. When the Skoks net in the Zone you would think that hatchery was made just for them.

There is also another hatchery south of Potlatch that gets a good amount of chums a little later in the year.

Then there are the chums that go up the Skokomish.

#163516 - 10/29/02 03:20 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
EZL - you said not to bother around Hoodsport on Wednesday. Is there nowhere to target these fish on that day? How far do the nets run? I was hoping to get myself a few. See you Sunday. BTW- where do you want to meet and when? I will be bringing a friend with me as well.

#163517 - 10/29/02 10:17 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Capt. Steelhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard,WA
I've witness that tribal netting and it is ugly mad

#163518 - 10/29/02 10:22 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Busy, you can bother going out there on Wednesday. I am just trying to give you a heads up on what you could find when you get there. It can be very ugly!

#163519 - 10/29/02 10:31 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
bluenote Offline
Smolt

Loc: cloud 9
EZ and/or Capt - can you tell me more?

I am just now opening my eyes to what the tribals call being "friends with nature", especially their disregard for it. The whole netting thing has always bothered me as a scuba diver (we're all mortally scared of nets) but I really dont know much of what goes on.

the fish-in kinda woke me up to what REALLY happens.

You can PM me if that works for you better...

#163520 - 10/29/02 11:36 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
The only wild chum run in Hood Canal is the summer run, these winter fish were imported from Puget Sound (Kennedy Creek I think) and released from Hoodsport to start an expoitable fishery after the summer run crashed from overfishing and habitat damage. Winter chum have adapted and are now spawning in all Hood Canal tribs in numbers much greater than summers, and in my opinion are causing further damage to the summer run by digging up their eggs. So yes, kill them all in good conscience laugh

On another sorry note, the anoxic conditions in Hood Canal that have killed off much of the bottomfish and other benthic biota, including shimp and likely crab, are really going to be exacerbated by the inevitable dumping of egg-stripped carcasses by our beloved native freinds. There is already way too many nutrients in the Canal for the poor circulation conditions to process, and adding any more would be criminal. Betcha they will, though, thats how they are mad

#163521 - 10/29/02 11:46 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you have some documents regarding those nonexistent wild fall chums in the canal Spawnout? Not looking for a fight...just like to know what you based that statement upon?
Also there's so far been zero documentation of any dieoff of fish, crab or shrimp in the canal. The only thing so far has been some hyped up media quotes. Just wondering as I happen to live on the canal?

#163522 - 10/30/02 06:22 AM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/do/oct02/oct2102a.htm

it must be more than hype if the WDFW has shut down the canal to allow only fishing for salmon.

you could always call morris barker and find out.

#163523 - 10/30/02 11:47 AM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
The WDFW web page for hatchery escapement documented summer chums coming into the Hoodsport Hatchery and being lifted above the hatchery "dam" to upper Finch Creek.

I've seen them there in years past and always wondered how they got up there. Found out a couple of weeks ago on the WDFW web page.

#163524 - 10/30/02 07:00 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Jersey Fresh Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I'll bonk my share ...
but if it matters to you be aware that salmon runs stray by nature (timing and location), so the odds are in your favor they are hatchery fish but never say 100%.

After all, if salmon didn't stray there wouldn't be ANY in Puget Sound since the last glaciation approximately 10,000 years ago.

#163525 - 10/30/02 08:30 PM Re: Hoodsport chums are 100% hatchery, right?
Capt. Steelhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard,WA
Busy, The indians use a giant seine net and take over the fishing areas. The permise that there their fish is something I just can't grasp right now seeing they drive on the roads and don't pay any taxes for upkeep or am I wrong? now if there is a surplus, ounce the egg quota is met then let's produce less just my .02 Is their netting schedule still mon. through Wed.?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |