THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165563 - 11/18/02 11:25 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
My buddy was left attending the driftboat at an early morning launch at the Memaloose Ramp in the dark at Tillamook. While I parked he moved the boat down the dock. The boat went to the outside of the piling and two Lami's went to the inside. eek He ran back to where I was parking the rig explaining how we needed to go to the store real quick and get some new rods. I reached into the back seat and pulled out 2 backup Esprit's. That same guy broke another the following year. eek

#165564 - 11/18/02 11:56 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
on a tough rainy jan day couple years ago I had a flat on the way home,got absolutly soaked changing it and mindlessly threw the flat in back of the dodge,shattered my fav rod at the time

#165565 - 11/19/02 08:32 AM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
1 berkly to a boat battery in the bed of my truck.

1 browning to a car door

1 lamisnap trying to hide from bardo and his heiocbopter,The line got caught in the brush at the tip and I yanked and it broke.

1 Fenwick to my neighbor boy stepping on it.

1 south bend to the ferule wearing out and loosening,finally snapping on a hook set.

1 eagle calw feather light to my wifes frustration.

1 another browning to unknown circumstances while moving.

I am sure that the list is bigger and I will not even get into broken tips.

#165566 - 11/19/02 10:05 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
I keep pushing the limits to the lightest rod I can fiish with found out that 2-6 lb rod will snap with 8 lb line landed my fish any way with a 3 ft rod instead of a 7'6" rod

#165567 - 11/20/02 12:21 AM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Well, I've broken a bunch, including two that need to be rebuilt from this years' adventure. I'll just tell you about one. This is sort of a "kids, dont try this at home" story.

We had been floating down the Goodnews River in Alaska. It had been a bit of a long trip, with poor weather and not as many fish as we had hoped for. The silvers had been snubbing our flies for two days.

We were camped at one of the last holes above tidewater, near a massive clay bank. Silvers rolled intermittently in the hole in fornt of camp, but ignored the flies we threw at them. We didn't have any casting gear, this being primarily a fly fishing trip. However, deep in my gear bag, I had a box of wiggle warts that I had thrown in the night before leaving, just in case.

Neal and I tied the warts onto the end of our 8 wgts, and rowed up to the top of the hole. I eased the raft out and over into the main thread of current. We let the rods out, and I wedged mine into the frame of the raft, there being no rod holders.

We started backing down the hole. The raft hadn't moved 10 feet when my rod doubled over. I reached forward, grabbed it just below the first guide, pulled back, and yes, Virginia, snapped it as clean as if cut with a knife just above the grip.

This presented a bit of a problem in landing the fish, which was still attached. We solved this with me handing Neal the reel, while I fought the fish from the tip section. It being now somewhat abbreviated, I had better leverage on the fish, and the fight took on a somewhat Roland Martin-esque flavor, as we yarded the fish to the boat. I'm a bit of a believer in heavy leader.

That was the second time that particular rod has been broken. I love Sage's rod guarantee. It was broken again this year, but that's another story.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, eddie, 1 invisible), 1266 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |