Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168157 - 12/11/02 06:36 PM Re: Black Box
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Its all about the difference in nobility of the disemilar metals in the water. SS has a nobility of .24, Zinc is 1.04. Subtract the SS noblility from the Zincs and you end up with .8V positive. The Scotty manual that came with my BB sez that your boat naturally (without the BB's influence) should be somewhere between .7 and .9 V positive. The box will adjust it from there. Above .9 and you are "hot" and have a direct short to the hull, you then have to do a step by step process to find the culprit. Battery switches, ground points, etc. Below .7V and you do not have enough zincs or your zincs are not clean, always clean them with a SS brush prior to fishing in the salt. If that does not work you will need to add zincs. The old Glasspar that we had always was in the range with clean zincs, our newer sled w/pump does not always read above .7V when you turn the box on (the box checks the natural current for the first 10 seconds or so). I have added more zincs, but I think that the pump impellor sleeve (which is one large piece of aluminum and the nobility is .71) may have an effect on this. Another thing that is recommended that I do not see many folks do is to make sure that your trolling motor is also grounded with the rest of the system, for thoses folks with electric start that has already happened. For those with pull strat motors you need to connect the trolling motor to the main motor with a wire to ground it.
Interesting enough when I typed in the Scotty USA website it is under construction and the Pro-Troll is there instead, sounds like maybe they have broken off with Scotty of Canada and forged out on thier own, it does have the Cabelas label on the unit shown in the pic. Here is the link http://www.protroll.com/blkbox.html I have had a BB for a few years and I am convinced that they work. You really will not see a difference when the fishing is good and everyone is catching, I think they pay off when it is scratch fishing and it just gives you an added edge.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

#168158 - 12/11/02 06:47 PM Re: Black Box
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Thanks Jeff. I was just reading the info on that site. Very interesting stuff. Who would da thunk it? Catching more fish through science.

#168159 - 12/11/02 08:42 PM Re: Black Box
dangerous dave Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
Wow! What an awesome respones and some interesting posts about this subject. This absolutely convinces me that my wife...Whoops! Santa Clause is going to have to get me that for Christmas...Sheesh! I hate knowing what I'm getting....
laugh

#168160 - 12/11/02 08:59 PM Re: Black Box
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Well, I went and bought one from Cabelas. I figure it will be a $100 experiment for Christmas.

I am just a sucker for new toys! evil

#168161 - 12/12/02 01:53 AM Re: Black Box
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
I usually run below the suggested numbers. For big kings, I like .530 and big silvers I run 600-645. This could be my boat. I run a 20' Trophy. I have the quick disconnects in the Scotty BBox line. Keep plenty of corrosion resistant oil on these and keep your battery terminals clean. Corrosion in these wires can do funny things. I keep a digital voltmeter on board. The .530 yielded a 40#+ king at westport this year. The lower numbers also seem to increase the size of blackmouth too. The begining of the year in the south sound I was not getting any fish. At the end of the day I checked the voltage. It had jumped to .9. Unplugged the BB wires and got fish on. I had the wiring go bad under the boat. Replaced the wiring and was back in business
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Banana Slama
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 901 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |