Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171529 - 01/12/06 06:10 PM Big news about your ancestors
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Makes sense. A bunch of libs standing around gettting pecked in the head.

Researcher: Early Man Was Hunted by Birds
Jan 12 1:27 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By ALEXANDRA ZAVIS
Associated Press Writer

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa

A South African anthropologist said Thursday his research into the death nearly 2 million years ago of an ape-man shows human ancestors were hunted by birds.

"These types of discoveries give us real insight into the past lives of these human ancestors, the world they lived in and the things they feared," Lee Berger, a paleo-anthropologist at Johannesburg's University of Witwatersrand, said as he presented his conclusions about a mystery that has been debated since the remains of the possible human ancestor known as the Taung child were discovered in 1924.

The Taung child's discovery led to the search for human origins in Africa, instead of in Asia or Europe as once theorized. Researchers regard the fossil of the ape-man, or australopethicus africanus, as evidence of the "missing link" in human evolution.

Researchers had speculated the Taung child was killed by a leopard or saber-toothed feline. But 10 years ago, Berger and fellow researcher Ron Clarke submitted the theory the hunter was a large predatory bird, based on the fact most of the other fossils found at the same site were small monkeys that showed signs of having been killed by a predatory bird.

Berger and Clarke had until now been unable to show damage on the child's skull that could have been done by a bird.

Five months ago, Berger read an Ohio State University study of the hunting abilities of modern eagles in West Africa believed similar to predatory birds of the Taung child's era.

The Ohio State study determined that eagles would swoop down, pierce monkey skulls with their thumb-like back talons, then hover while their prey died before returning to tear at the skull. Examination of thousands of monkey remains produced a pattern of damage done by birds, including holes and ragged cuts in the shallow bones behind the eye sockets.

Berger went back to the Taung skull, and found traces of the ragged cuts behind the eye sockets. He said none of the researchers who had for decades been debating how the child died had noticed the eye socket damage before.

Berger concluded man's ancestors had to survive not just being hunted from the ground, but from the air. Such discoveries are "key to understanding why we humans today view the world they way we do," he said.

Berger's research has been reviewed by others and is due to appear in the February edition of the American Journal of Physical Anthropology.

#171530 - 01/12/06 06:16 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

There was no welfare state 2 million years ago. The kid was a conservative, perhaps the first neocon.

#171531 - 01/12/06 06:25 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

If he was the first then he would have been the last...wishful thinking.

#171532 - 01/12/06 06:27 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

There goes the theory of evolution! Oh no!

#171533 - 01/12/06 07:09 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Can't be a conservative. Their leaders Grog Bushgar and Dicgar Chenroc would have allowed the corp's to destory the nesting grounds so his buddies in the business world could make more profits. The birds would have been endangered. It was definately liberals standing around with picket stones protesting right wing conservative policy while demanding protection from the birds.
Liberals where almost bred out of exhistance until man created enough wealth and lesiure time for the recessive gene to reappear. it showed up in the early part of last century and the bitoching and moaning began again at a record pace.

#171534 - 01/12/06 07:49 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I think Salmo is right. Neocon parents sent the kid out to lure the bird in and be pecked to death so they could study it's methods and maybe some day figure out a way to defeat it. Anybody else would have lured it in and bashed it with a stick.

#171535 - 01/12/06 07:52 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

A conservative invented Kentucky fried bird.
Liberal in Indian tanslates into " can't fish can't hunt don't know [Bleeeeep!]"

#171536 - 01/13/06 02:14 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
Liberal in Indian tanslates into "can't fish can't hunt don't know [Bleeeeep!]"
Since there are over 250 tribes recognized by the BIA, which one is this gem from?

#171537 - 01/13/06 04:16 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
tk- i thought you didnt believe that humans existed back then.......way before the bible claims that they were created.....

are you now a monkey humper??????????

#171538 - 01/13/06 05:27 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Lupo,

Thats why I said it was a liberal. It's an ape and claimed to be an ancestor of man. Try to keep up with the class.

Look how small the skull is it has to be a lib.

#171539 - 01/13/06 05:29 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA

#171540 - 01/13/06 07:18 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Loc: Richland,Washington
Besides,
Like the intelligent design folks say, life on earth is too complicated to have evolved. It was designed by extraterrestrials.

#171542 - 01/14/06 05:44 AM Re: Big news about your ancestors
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
Created by God or created by monkey humping?

I would rather believe people were created by God. Monkeys are still monkey's. Whales had the remenants of "appendages" 28 million years ago and by george what do you know, They still have them today! we find scorpions from the cretaceous period and magically they still look the same today. The celeocanth was thought to be extinct millions of years ago, all the while scientist were speculating on what it evolved to. Low and behold some fisherman catches one off the coast of Argentina and it looks the same today as the fossil record shows! Evolution is a crock, Its the biggest f' up scientist have made. Still taught in schools but still just a hypothesis.

Ya ,ya I know the fact that God created the Earth and everything that dwells here cant be proven scientifically either but my faith lies with God not Monkey's!

#171543 - 01/14/06 01:14 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by micropterus101:
I would rather believe people were created by God.
Yeah, lots of folks feel that way.

#171544 - 01/14/06 02:03 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Quote:
Evolution is a crock
Uuuuum, for some people it is truly obvious they have not evolved.

#171545 - 01/14/06 02:56 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Dave D.,
Microp is actually very sharp! He has tons of potential and lots of years left to realize it. Don't give up on him.

#171546 - 01/14/06 03:59 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
SS will do
smile

#171547 - 01/15/06 01:25 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Many theologians see no conflict between belief in God and evolution. They propose that God is creating the heavens and the earths from the void. In this view creation is still happening, on a time scale that is eons to humans but only an eyeblink to God. With perfect knowledge, God knew that the process of evolution would produce a multitude of species, all of which were and are good in his sight. God knew that evolution on earth would, over billions of years, which is but a moment to God, produce a species which is the pinnacle of creation...Steelhead.

#171548 - 01/15/06 05:50 PM Re: Big news about your ancestors
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

all that omnipotence, yet . . . billions of years . . . the pinnacle of creation: steelhead. God must have the patience of Job.

#171549 - 01/16/06 03:26 AM Re: Big news about your ancestors
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
Good point suckersnagger. Why is it that people are so self centered to believe that one of Gods days is the same as one of our days. Earth one day = 24 hours . Jupiters days are what? 36 of our days? Kind of like when we believed the solar system revolved around the Earth. For a being with no end and no begining a day could be a very very long time. God did create animals first so yes you can believe that the fossil record goes back millions of years and still have faith in God. Btw I happen to collect and prepare fossils that are 28 million years old. The claws are from Calianopsis c. A relative of the Ghost shrimp. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 313 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |